Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi,

I tried searching the thread and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a friend that is flying to FLL and taking a cab straight to the pier. Can anyone tell me if there is a place either at the airport or the pier (or maybe within walking distance with luggage) where he can buy a 6 pack of water? He wants to have some on board and was debating about buying the water package but doesn't really need THAT much.

Thanx for any help you can offer.

Erika

There is a Walgreens just outside of the south port entrance but it is a very large port, and this is not the closest entrance from the airport. I don't think he will save anything by stopping to buy 6 waters.

I didn't see anything about the Courtyard in Plantation (on 6th Street). Has anybody stayed here recently? Is the area ok? Any restaurants within walking distance?

Thanks in advance!

The area is fine. The hotel is closed to a moderate mall and the Fountain shops and restaurants. Padreno's has good Cuban food and there is a huge Chinese buffet a few blocks south on University Dr.

Hi Royalcruz! Can you please tell me your thoughts about these two hotels? Is one "nicer" than the other? I know they both have free breakfast, and I know that Springhill also has a free shuttle to the port...but how do they compare strictly on an accommodations level? Thanks!

Hi Royalcruz! Can you please tell me your thoughts about these two hotels? Is one "nicer" than the other? I know they both have free breakfast, and I know that Springhill also has a free shuttle to the port...but how do they compare strictly on an accommodations level? Thanks!

Embassy Suites has nicer rooms, but they are usually overpriced and they charge for parking.

We're looking into a spring break cruise leaving from Miami (I know - crazy time do to this). Flights from NJ are way cheaper going to FLL than Miami, so we will be flying into FLL the night prior, probably arriving around 10:00 p.m.

Are we better off looking in the Ft. Lauderdale area or Miami area for overnight pre-cruise hotel? Any recommendations for a clean, inexpensive place to stay?

Any recommendation on transfers? I've seen S&S mentioned, (I admit it was overwhelming with 71 pages of posts so I didn't read this whole thread :o), but when i went to their website, they do not provide transportation at that time of the night. I'm assuming since we won't be arriving till night, it's probably best to stay in FLL area and get to Miami the next day.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about accomodations. I do know that I would much rather stay at the Embassy Suites than Springhill because it's a nicer area with more restaurants. ES is so close to the port that a taxi is around $10.

I don't know about accomodations. I do know that I would much rather stay at the Embassy Suites than Springhill because it's a nicer area with more restaurants. ES is so close to the port that a taxi is around $10.

We won't get to the hotel until around 10:00pm, and then leave on the cruise the next morning...so I'm not sure the area/restaurants make that much difference. There is a $40/night difference between the two hotels, plus cab fare if we stay at ES. Anyway, thanks for the info!

We're looking into a spring break cruise leaving from Miami (I know - crazy time do to this). Flights from NJ are way cheaper going to FLL than Miami, so we will be flying into FLL the night prior, probably arriving around 10:00 p.m.

Are we better off looking in the Ft. Lauderdale area or Miami area for overnight pre-cruise hotel? Any recommendations for a clean, inexpensive place to stay?

Any recommendation on transfers? I've seen S&S mentioned, (I admit it was overwhelming with 71 pages of posts so I didn't read this whole thread :o), but when i went to their website, they do not provide transportation at that time of the night. I'm assuming since we won't be arriving till night, it's probably best to stay in FLL area and get to Miami the next day.

Thanks in advance!

I agree. It will take about 45 minutes to get to Miami, so I would rather just get to the closest hotel at that hour. It will be easier to find a shuttle service the next morning. Stay near the airport or cruiseport and it will be easier to find transportation and your taxi to your hotel will be cheaper (you might even get a free shuttle if you don't arrive too late). SAS has great shuttle rates but you do need advance reservations. People are getting low rates and are mostly satisfied with accommodations at Sleep Inn in Dania, at the Hyatt Place north on Value Trips, and on 3-4 star hotels in the airport and downtown areas on Hotwire and Priceline.

We are members of both Costco and Sam's Club but now go to Total Wine for our wine and spirits...much better selection (huge) and pricing...here is a link to some coupons and Total Wine: link

Wow, thanks putterdude!! We will definitely try Total Wine before we drive to costco--great prices, even without coupons! You are as helpful here as you are with Vancouver questions! (You answered a bunch of questions for us last year as we prepared for our cruise out of vancouver).

Thanks again--and happy New Year

ML

PS: Do you like Costco better than sam's or are they about the same?

Edited by NoWhiners
forgot one thing

Wow, thanks putterdude!! We will definitely try Total Wine before we drive to costco--great prices, even without coupons! You are as helpful here as you are with Vancouver questions! (You answered a bunch of questions for us last year as we prepared for our cruise out of vancouver).

Thanks again--and happy New Year

ML

PS: Do you like Costco better than sam's or are they about the same?

You are very welcome. We much prefer Costco over Sam's but when we are in the desert for the winter Sam's is our only option unless we want to drive to Las Vegas which is 2 hrs away. I refer to Sam's as Costco with a WalMart attidtude...when Costco opens in our area I will cheerfully cut up my Sam's card....and that is my rant for today.:)

You are very welcome. We much prefer Costco over Sam's but when we are in the desert for the winter Sam's is our only option unless we want to drive to Las Vegas which is 2 hrs away. I refer to Sam's as Costco with a WalMart attidtude...when Costco opens in our area I will cheerfully cut up my Sam's card....and that is my rant for today.:)

Hi pd

Thanks for this info--good to know! I do like the Costco employees--always willing to help and very cheerful. Maybe because they get paid better and have good benefits?!!

Our local sam's has a few good things that Costco doesn't but overall, they are similar. we make a friend of ours take us there once in awhile to see what thye have:D

Just curious--where is Ft Mojave? Hubby spent some time in Phoenix area, I taught at ASU-East (Mesa), and we have family in Bagdad (about 1.5 hours north and west of Prescott).

Go ahead--rant all you want, you've earned it on these boards!!

Thanks again

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
new info

We are looking into the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in FLL for our stay the night before our April cruise on the Miracle. Can anyone tell me about this hotel, is it nice, close to anything like restaurants, shopping, anything? I appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Karen

We are flying in on Friday (1/21) and will be in FLL all day prior to leaving on the Miracle in Saturday.

Any suggestions as to how to spend our day?? We are staying at the Hyatt Place - North.

Thanks!

It looks like it might be rainy friday. If it is, take the bus 40 east on 17th St to Galleria Mall. It's about 4 miles away. If it isn't rainy, take the water taxi from the Hilton Marina. You can walk there or take the Sun Trolley or bus 40. It is about 8 blocks away. You can go downtown and to the beach by water taxi, or just enjoy the tour. If you don't feel like venturing far, just walk around 17th St and have lunch and choose a restaurant for dinner. There is a little bit of shopping but not a lot (Ross, Total Wine, a few small shops, drug stores).

We are looking into the Hyatt Summerfield Suites in FLL for our stay the night before our April cruise on the Miracle. Can anyone tell me about this hotel, is it nice, close to anything like restaurants, shopping, anything? I appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Karen

There is a big shopping center across the street called Oakwood Plaza where you will find discount stores, chain restaurants, B & N, and movies.

Where is the closest liquor/wine by the Springhill Suites?

Also, is the bus free to get to the water taxi?

Thanks for any help.

Across Stirling Road at either K-Mart or BJ's Wholesale Club. I've been told you do not have to have a BJ's membership to buy alcohol.

Where is the closest liquor/wine by the Springhill Suites?

Also, is the bus free to get to the water taxi?

Thanks for any help.

Kmart in Oakwood Plaza sells wine.

BJ's in Oakwood Plaza sells wine and liquor. I'm not sure if you need a membership to buy liquor but if it is set up like Costco you will need a membership to buy wine.

There are no free buses from there to the water taxi. You can take the public buses but will need to take 3 buses (or you can walk the last mile instead of taking the 3rd bus).