Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Any definitive opinions on how much a cab should cost (with reasonable tip) from FLL to the Riverside Hotel & then from the Riverside to the Port???

I was under the impression originally that it would be around $20 & $15 respectively---but recent postings and reviews indicate that $35 & $25 may be more like it. No drawbridges either way --right?

Some people have paid closer to $20 in heavier traffic, but it shouldn't be much more than that. There are no drawbridges along the way so ask the driver to go via US1 so they don't try to take you the drawbridge/long way.

Can you tell me what the area was for this hotel and what amenities were listed so that I can try to ID it on Hotwire?

Thanks.

Summerfield is in the airport area, 3*. According to Betterbidding, Amenities: Suite, Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf

Edited by royalcruz

can you tell me pros/cons of this resort please?

How far from the airport and to Port Everglades?

Cost for Taxis?

Any good restaurants within walking distance?

Is the Beach free or do you pay for chairs/umbrellas,etc?

I got the Hotel with priceline for $109 plus tax for two nights in Dec 2011.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Westin Ft Laud Beach:

Taxis each way are about $20-25 depending on traffic/bridge operations. Maybe only $15 to port on a good day.

Good restaurants: Casablanca Cafe, h2O, Coconuts, 954 Steak

Hotel is across the street from the public beach, so any rentals are by the city of Ft Laud.

Edited by royalcruz

followed the tips by betterbidding.com and looked for the 8th icon to be golf nearby . the area was ft lauderdale airport. thanks for the info about things to do. sounds like a van taxi to the beach and just walk around a little and then dinner and then one of us will have to have a hospitality room to get ready for our cruise. thanks again

Thanks Music City! That looks like a great option....have you ever stayed there? I sent an email to see if the dates are available. Also, regarding the parking, have you ever used this parking facility? Actually, I have it saved in my favorites because I found it before. However, after reading so many posts about "sketchy" parking options, I was thinking we would just park at the pier and suck it up. Our friends have a new car, and I would hate for something b ad to happen at a place I suggested....

I stayed at the Summerfield Suites shortly after it opened last April, so it is a relatively new property. I don't understand, though, why you would send an email when you could go directly to hyatt.com and make a reservation online. This will allow you to see all the rates for the different types of rooms for your date. This leads me to believe you're pretty new at planning travel and making reservations. Don't worry, royalcruz and I will take good care of you.

I think you misunderstand about the parking link. Global Airport Parking is a third party broker (much like Expedia or Orbitz) for discount parking at airport and cruise ports around the country.

And don't listen to a certain alarmist on this board about parking in Ft Lauderdale. She seems to have a problem discerning the difference between Miami/Dade County and Ft Lauderdale/Broward County.

LoriAB, I think that if car thefts and breakins were a common problem at the hotels on Stirling Rd or downtown that we would hear about it on the Florida boards, and we don't. You probably have nothing to worry about, but if your hotel doesn't have security the port may be a better option, as auto thefts and breakins do happen in Broward County. If you call the police dept they should be able to tell you of any recent incidents at that address.

The email was regarding the condo that you included in your PP. Actually, I am pretty used to doing all of our travel reservations. I have traveled out of the country and within the country a lot, having done most everything myself. I do, however, use a TA when making cruise reservations. I generally check on Trip Advisor for ratings. I didn't email any hotel directly, only that condo place that was suggested for a three night stay. I have never cruised out of FL, so I am seeing a lot of conflicting information....just trying to sort it all out. In addition, I checked some things on Hotwire and needed clarification on those as well. Just not sure if we want to park elsewhere, or just do a hotel that includes parking. Since we have extra time, we thought we would stay somewhere by the beach and it seems that most of them don't include long term parking. Thanks for the help.

L

The email was regarding the condo that you included in your PP. Actually, I am pretty used to doing all of our travel reservations. I have traveled out of the country and within the country a lot, having done most everything myself. I do, however, use a TA when making cruise reservations. I generally check on Trip Advisor for ratings. I didn't email any hotel directly, only that condo place that was suggested for a three night stay. I have never cruised out of FL, so I am seeing a lot of conflicting information....just trying to sort it all out. In addition, I checked some things on Hotwire and needed clarification on those as well. Just not sure if we want to park elsewhere, or just do a hotel that includes parking. Since we have extra time, we thought we would stay somewhere by the beach and it seems that most of them don't include long term parking. Thanks for the help.

L

I thought you meant you sent an email to the Hyatt.

Unless you are staying for at least a minimum of 3 or 4 nights it would not be worth it to stay in the condo because of cleaning charges and it's really not configured for 9 people. You would also have to have a rental van in order to get to Lauderdale By the Sea.

L

Right, I don't know of any beachfront hotels that include long term parking. In fact, you are lucky to find anything over a 1-2 star hotel that doesn't charge for parking during your stay.

Music City, I think you are confusing me with someone else. We are staying for three nights, and there are only 4 of us????? That was indicated in my original post. After that post you mentioned the condo.

Never mind...

I was thinking you were the couple with 7 kids. You're the two couples driving and flying. You might be able to work a deal including cleaning charges that would make sense for a three day stay if she has the dates available. I promise you that you will absolutely love staying in Lauderdale By the Sea with plenty to do and never have to move your car after you get there.

Just got the Hyatt Pier 66 on Hotwire for $115 plus tax and $15 resort fee and a charge for parking. This is for 1/28-29 and is about $100 less than on their site. Waited until the last minute to book and there were no bargains being offered on travel websites. The problem with booking on Hotwire and Priceline is there is no cancellation. You don't bid on Hotwire. They give you a price but don't tell you the name. You can narrow it down by location and number of stars.

I will be arriving Feb.05 2011 and was wondering if anybody has a suggestion for a hotel for one night near port everglades with an airport and port shuttle that wouldn't break the bank ?

Hyatt Place north on valuetrips.com or Sleep Inn in Dania. Also try the airport and Plantation Hampton Inns.

For our last cruise I was able to use lastminutetravel and got the Intercontinental Miami for an awesome rate!! Do people have success stories like this in Ft. Lauderdale too? It was such a simple process and there was a way to find out which hotel LMT was talking about too.

Hi you guys

Any of you Florida locals know what kinds of wine the local Costco's sell--particularly merlots? We get some great ones out here, but not sure what they carry in Florida. We will also go to Total Wine but costco has great prices!!

also, which Costco is closest to FLL--davie? from google maps, looks like davie. We wil also be in Orlando, so could try one up there if their selection is better?

thanks for any help

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typos

Hi you guys

Any of you Florida locals know what kinds of wine the local Costco's sell--particularly merlots? We get some great ones out here, but not sure what they carry in Florida. We will also go to Total Wine but costco has great prices!!

also, which Costco is closest to FLL--davie? from google maps, looks like davie. We wil also be in Orlando, so could try one up there if their selection is better?

thanks for any help

ML

Yes, the closest Costco is Davie. They have a nice selection but I can't recall which brands they sell because I don't shop for wine there...I tend to get better prices on sale at Publix. Total Wine tends to have the best price on champagne so I go there for that, but unless I want something very specific I shop for wine on sale at Publix.

Yes, the closest Costco is Davie. They have a nice selection but I can't recall which brands they sell because I don't shop for wine there...I tend to get better prices on sale at Publix. Total Wine tends to have the best price on champagne so I go there for that, but unless I want something very specific I shop for wine on sale at Publix.

Thanks Royalcruz

We'll give Publix a try too!!

ML

Just got the Hyatt Pier 66 on Hotwire for $115 plus tax and $15 resort fee and a charge for parking. This is for 1/28-29 and is about $100 less than on their site. Waited until the last minute to book and there were no bargains being offered on travel websites. The problem with booking on Hotwire and Priceline is there is no cancellation. You don't bid on Hotwire. They give you a price but don't tell you the name. You can narrow it down by location and number of stars.

Congrats - this is a great rate, one of our favorite hotels pre-cruise!

Hi,

I tried searching the thread and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have a friend that is flying to FLL and taking a cab straight to the pier. Can anyone tell me if there is a place either at the airport or the pier (or maybe within walking distance with luggage) where he can buy a 6 pack of water? He wants to have some on board and was debating about buying the water package but doesn't really need THAT much.

Thanx for any help you can offer.

Erika

According to BetterBidding, the HPnorth is coming up as the only 3 star in the las olas/downtown/porteverglades zone, but as you know they can add a new hotel. In the same zone on Priceline a 3 star could be either HPnorth or Riverside Hotel.

Thank you so much royalcruz! This really helps me out a lot!