Radiance of the Seas: deck 2 cabins - help please

I have just booked the Radiance of the Seas for us, our kids and grandkids. Four cabins on deck 2: # 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 (couldn't afford a higher category). Has anyone been in a cabin on deck 2 (the lowest deck, where the medical center is)? Is it quiet? Is there any vibration from being so low down? Thanks for your help. This is for a Christmas cruise and I don't know the ship at all.:)

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif

You will love the Radiance, wonderful choice! Deck 2 will provide the most stable location as far as motion. The lower you are on a ship the less motion you will feel. And I can't imagine there would be a vibration issue. Your Category I staterooms are a spacious 170 s.f., and #2012 and #2014 as you may know are connecting staterooms. With only a handful of Interior staterooms across from you, this should be a quiet location with little traffic.

You're just a few more seconds in the elevator away from all the action! Have a great family Christmas cruise!

I have sailed on Deck 2 a few times on radiance class vessels. It is super quiet down there, you will actually forget you are on a ship with 2500 people. The only time you may here some noise is when people get off the ship and get lost and wander around deck 2.

I prefer this deck, especially when returning from shore (even more so when you tender) you don't have to wait for elevators, your room is right there.

I have sailed on Deck 2 a few times on radiance class vessels. It is super quiet down there, you will actually forget you are on a ship with 2500 people. The only time you may here some noise is when people get off the ship and get lost and wander around deck 2.

I prefer this deck, especially when returning from shore (even more so when you tender) you don't have to wait for elevators, your room is right there.

I agree with this poster. I've had a cabin on deck 2 on Radiance and it was unbelievably quiet. There are SO FEW cabins down there. Not a bad location at all.

I have stayed on deck 2 on Serenade which is a sister ship of Radiance. I agree with what others have said. I like the deck very much. It is quiet and convenient. And the gangway at ports of call is usually located on deck 2. So when you return to the ship you do not have to fight the crowds for an elevator.

However, I would just point out that the "windows" on deck two of the Radiance class ships are portholes that do not give you much of a view. They are NOT the big round windows that are on deck 2 and 3 of the Voyager class ships. If you want a large window you would have to move up to deck 3 on the Radiance class ships.

I am going to be on deck 2 on majesty of the seas. I am a cruise newbie, so I didn't know what I was doing when i made the reservations. They said cabin #2033, and I was like "Suuuure, there can't be much of a difference." WRONG. Well now after doing research, I find out that 2033 is towards the front of the ship. Do you guys think I will have problems with it being a rough ride? I just bought some meclizine for the motion sickness just in case. :)

I am assuming that your Majesty cruise is Mexican Riviera. If so, the worst chance of rough weather is returning to SanPedro when the ship will be bucking the strong North/South Alaska current. And there are times when it is not a problem.:)

We once stayed in an ocean view cabin on Deck Two of Radiance. It was an eight-night cruise. My one and only gripe was that the window was so small. It was pizza a pie size port hole, so it offered little in the way of light or a view.

What I did like was the convenience of being so close to the door for shore excursions. I also liked the quiet. When the ship is moving, you can hear the waves brushing by, but it is a very subtle, gentle sound. It helped me sleep at night.

There appeared to be very few rooms down on Deck Two, so there wasn't much traffic.

I hope you have a great cruise.

I have just booked the Radiance of the Seas for us, our kids and grandkids. Four cabins on deck 2: # 2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 (couldn't afford a higher category). Has anyone been in a cabin on deck 2 (the lowest deck, where the medical center is)? Is it quiet? Is there any vibration from being so low down? Thanks for your help. This is for a Christmas cruise and I don't know the ship at all.:)

Before I found Bonine for Seasickness, I sailed many a ship in the lower decks.

All we use them for is to sleep in anyway. ;)

I looked at your cabins and they are mid ship and under other cabins. I have been in the same area on another ship and I bet they will be fine down there. I have sailed on Deck 2 and loved it. We found it very quiet down there.

You do not have all the other passengers going past your cabins at night. ;)

[/url]

• 3 years later...

DH and I are continuing to contemplate a Hawaii booking in either 2014 or 2015. All that remains in the way of Oceanview cabins on Radiance are on Deck 2. I don't mind a lower-level cabin, but does anyone have a photo of what those windows/portholes look like and how large/small they may be? It's a pretty lengthy cruise to be on to not be able to see much...might as well have an inside cabin! Photos or info if you've stayed in those Deck 2 oceanview rooms, please! Thanks in advance :cool:

DH and I are continuing to contemplate a Hawaii booking in either 2014 or 2015. All that remains in the way of Oceanview cabins on Radiance are on Deck 2. I don't mind a lower-level cabin, but does anyone have a photo of what those windows/portholes look like and how large/small they may be? It's a pretty lengthy cruise to be on to not be able to see much...might as well have an inside cabin! Photos or info if you've stayed in those Deck 2 oceanview rooms, please! Thanks in advance :cool:

I don't have a picture but the portholes are real portholes not large round windows as on deck 3 or like the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships. It lets light into the cabin but you really can't see much out of them. I will not do deck OV on a Radiance class ship again. And it is unfortunate as I do like the location.

I don't have a picture but the portholes are real portholes not large round windows as on deck 3 or like the Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class ships. It lets light into the cabin but you really can't see much out of them. I will not do deck OV on a Radiance class ship again. And it is unfortunate as I do like the location.

Thanks for your input. It was pretty much what I thought.

If you can find a way onto deck 3 you would be much better off. Those OVs have the large round windows.

That's REAL good insider information to have, Ocean Boy, thanks. I love Royal, but I'll bet that they don't reveal that Deck 2 "window" info readily...unless specifically asked about it. They want to fill up that ship!:rolleyes:

We have not stayed in a deck 2 OV on a Radii, but we have stayed in a deck 3 with the larger window. I agree with Ocean Boy -- the larger window is worth it. At the same time, I wouldn't totally discount deck 2 either. As a price snob, sometimes there are deals you just can't turn down. One of those deals got us in a deck 2 [porthole] cabin on Monarch. Those cabins are small. But we had a great time and had the best cabin steward we have ever had in my opinion. Since no one has come up with a porthole picture from a Radii, and for comparison of the porthole only, here is a pic of our deck 2 on Monarch:

IMG_1289.jpg

Here is our deck 3 on Jewel:

P1010332-1.jpg

We have not stayed in a deck 2 OV on a Radii, but we have stayed in a deck 3 with the larger window. I agree with Ocean Boy -- the larger window is worth it. At the same time, I wouldn't totally discount deck 2 either. As a price snob, sometimes there are deals you just can't turn down. One of those deals got us in a deck 2 [porthole] cabin on Monarch. Those cabins are small. But we had a great time and had the best cabin steward we have ever had in my opinion. Since no one has come up with a porthole picture from a Radii, and for comparison of the porthole only, here is a pic of our deck 2 on Monarch:

IMG_1289.jpg

Here is our deck 3 on Jewel:

P1010332-1.jpg

mjldvlks-

Thanks for the photos...I appreciate them, particularly the one of the Radiance porthole. Now that I SEE it clearly, I'm not certain that I want that room for an entire Hawaii cruise of 10+ days. Looks like DH and I will have to cough up the money for a balcony! Now those Monarch oceanviews...I remember them well, and I truly miss that ship. That was the best short cruise itinerary EVER...porthole cabin or not!

mjldvlks-

Thanks for the photos...I appreciate them, particularly the one of the Radiance porthole. Now that I SEE it clearly, I'm not certain that I want that room for an entire Hawaii cruise of 10+ days. Looks like DH and I will have to cough up the money for a balcony! Now those Monarch oceanviews...I remember them well, and I truly miss that ship. That was the best short cruise itinerary EVER...porthole cabin or not!

You are certainly welcome. But just to make sure I was clear, the Radiance class picture [actually from Jewel] is from an OV on 3 with the larger window. It is round, but it is not a porthole. I do not have a picture of the Radiance portholes on 2, but since no one else had come up with one, I posted the Monarch picture on the theory the view out of a porthole would be similar from ship to ship.

I also wouldn't try too hard to talk you out of a balcony cabin -- we have thoroughly enjoyed the balcony cabins we have had. But just want to add that we thought the OV cabin on Jewel [deck 3] was great. A few months later we spent a week in a category E balcony on Radiance and found that the deck 3 OV cabin actually had more interior room than the E balcony cabin on 8. The OV room had a full size sofa, while the E balcony had only a love seat. For practical purposes, for the two of us, the difference was inconsequential, but it was certainly noticeable. The bottom line is I wouldn't mind being in the OV even for a longer cruise. Remember, I am a price snob, so the right price can lead me even to the "aquarium" on Monarch for a week.

I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Archived