Bangkok - Grand Pearl River Cruise

Jade13

Who has done this dinner river cruise in Bangkok on the Grand Pearl?

http://www.thairivercruise.com/index.php?tpid=0084

My DH is a Chef and does not want to be stuck with a sit down set meal. We like the idea of a buffet where we can try different things.

Normally I would like the idea of a traditional rice barge, but I believe this cruise has an open top for a better view of Bangkok. Also, someone posted (I think Chipmaster) that the rice barge from the Oriental hotel did not go as far down the river as the vessel he was on. I am more interested in the views.

Anyone use the Grand Pearl or can recommend other options?

Who has done this dinner river cruise in Bangkok on the Grand Pearl?

http://www.thairivercruise.com/index.php?tpid=0084

My DH is a Chef and does not want to be stuck with a sit down set meal. We like the idea of a buffet where we can try different things.

Normally I would like the idea of a traditional rice barge, but I believe this cruise has an open top for a better view of Bangkok. Also, someone posted (I think Chipmaster) that the rice barge from the Oriental hotel did not go as far down the river as the vessel he was on. I am more interested in the views.

Anyone use the Grand Pearl or can recommend other options?

Hi Jade,

Just to clarify, we cruised on a boat very similar to what you discribed in the link. Weather cooperating it can make for nice views of the skyline, temple and palaces. What we observed is that we saw the barge near the Orient going down the river and then again going up. It appeared the barge didn't nearly sail as far along the river. You might want to check with them for details of their cruise. Clearly the views from the open decks of the larger boats are better, but be ready for the larger crowds, open seating, and buffet ;)

Sounds like you got a good cruise lined up.

Hi Jade,

Just to clarify, we cruised on a boat very similar to what you discribed in the link. Weather cooperating it can make for nice views of the skyline, temple and palaces. What we observed is that we saw the barge near the Orient going down the river and then again going up. It appeared the barge didn't nearly sail as far along the river. You might want to check with them for details of their cruise. Clearly the views from the open decks of the larger boats are better, but be ready for the larger crowds, open seating, and buffet ;)

Sounds like you got a good cruise lined up.

You mean good cruise in regards to Azamara, correct? I am very excited about the itinerary. The only thing missing is Hanoi.

I'm still not 100% sure about the dinner river cruise in Bangkok as we will need to leave Kanchanburi that day at 3:30pm. However, I lived in Thailand a long time ago and never went on this river. I don't even generally like Buffets (we normally even avoid them and it looks like the ships buffet, but we don't eat fish - well shell fish is OK) and DH picky. I also don't like the idea of 350 people, but what are the other options? I wish these set dinner cruises had a set menu you could see...maybe some do?

Manohra

http://www.cruise-thailand.com/Manohra_Cruise/

o 07:30 PM

Depart from Manohra Cruises Pier at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa and travel up North on the Chao Phraya "The River of Kings"

o 07:45 PM

Pick up from the Taksin Public Pier upon request

o 08:15 PM

Dinner on deck of Thai cuisine

o 09:45 PM

Drop off at the Taksin Public Pier upon request

o 10:00 PM

Arrive at Manohra Cruises Pier

This looks nice and must be the one Greatam took. A lot less people than on the large modern vessel. The link has the route so I don't know if its considered short. This one appears longer as it gets back at 10:00pm.

I wish we knew their set menu. How do you know if you want a 6 course or 9 course if you have no idea what it is?

Manohra

http://www.cruise-thailand.com/Manohra_Cruise/

o 07:30 PM

Depart from Manohra Cruises Pier at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa and travel up North on the Chao Phraya "The River of Kings"

o 07:45 PM

Pick up from the Taksin Public Pier upon request

o 08:15 PM

Dinner on deck of Thai cuisine

o 09:45 PM

Drop off at the Taksin Public Pier upon request

o 10:00 PM

Arrive at Manohra Cruises Pier

This looks nice and must be the one Greatam took. A lot less people than on the large modern vessel. The link has the route so I don't know if its considered short. This one appears longer as it gets back at 10:00pm.

I wish we knew their set menu. How do you know if you want a 6 course or 9 course if you have no idea what it is?

ANOTHER rice barge with limited viewing. I did not like it, even though it was a business dinner and it was free. I am currently waiting for my flight via mil air to Doha, Qatar. They have wireless internet inside the hanger, so figured I would post. I have to sign off in the middle of a post if they call us to board.

There are AT LEAST 4 open top cruisers leaving from the River City pier EVERY night. The Grand Pearl, the Chao Phraya Princess, the other Chao Phraya cruiser and one other. All are open for booking at the River City pier daily. ALL feature buffet. Just pick one-they are VERY similar (about the difference between Carnival entertainment and Celebrity entertainment-one quiet and jazzy like/Thai music, one rock and roll). MAKE SURE you ask for a table on the top with open air seating. Otherwise, you get stuck in the air conditioned part below on most of the cruisers.

ANOTHER rice barge with limited viewing. I did not like it, even though it was a business dinner and it was free. I am currently waiting for my flight via mil air to Doha, Qatar. They have wireless internet inside the hanger, so figured I would post. I have to sign off in the middle of a post if they call us to board.

There are AT LEAST 4 open top cruisers leaving from the River City pier EVERY night. The Grand Pearl, the Chao Phraya Princess, the other Chao Phraya cruiser and one other. All are open for booking at the River City pier daily. ALL feature buffet. Just pick one-they are VERY similar (about the difference between Carnival entertainment and Celebrity entertainment-one quiet and jazzy like/Thai music, one rock and roll). MAKE SURE you ask for a table on the top with open air seating. Otherwise, you get stuck in the air conditioned part below on most of the cruisers.

Hi Greatam, hope you had a smooth flight. Thank you so much for posting from the airport as I know you are really busy. Dh confirmed no sit down dinner and the big vessel is fine (and for anyone reading when we are traveling - and not on a cruise ship - we always pick historic hotels and places to stay but in this instance want the buffet and better views etc.)

Ok, Ken who now runs Tony's business said this one is the most popular but it doesn't say which vessel until you pay and they send the confirmation. I did email him back to see if he knows as I would see if we can book direct.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Bangkok/Bangkok-Dinner-Cruise-on-the-Chao-Phraya-River/d343-3685BKK38#pricingoptions

This is the most popular and includes pick up and collection

Hi Greatam, hope you had a smooth flight. Thank you so much for posting from the airport as I know you are really busy.

I wasn't at an airport unless you consider Bagram AFB (north of Kabul Afghanistan an airport.) I was sitting in a military hangar bored out of my mind with endless waiting for the military to get everyone rounded up and ready to go to Doha. I am now at the Doha airport, waiting for Qatar airways take off to BKK, then on to Saigon.

Don't know how you got to the Viator website, which is an Aussie based tour company. PLEASE contact the Royal Orchid Sheraton, which is DIRECTLY next door to the River City pier. They have a travel agent inside the Sheraton, who can book what you want.

Please be aware there are VERY few of the "packaged" tours that will pick you up at the port without special arrangements or extra fees. You will have to make your way either to one of the hotels or just get yourself to the River City Pier. Leave enough time pre dinner for shopping at River City-it will be closed by the time the cruise comes back. They have some pretty unusual stuff there-most of it NOT junk. Their elephant "paintings" and the temple rubbings are really nice.

IF I had enough time when I land in Bangkok in 7 hours I would go into downtown and get the tickets for you. But I have an entire report to present to the government by next Monday and it is only 1/2 finished. So I am going to hole up in a cheapie hotel (Microtel-new-close to the new BKK airport) and write. If you decide which dinner cruise, I MAY fly back to the USA through BKK (still undecided-depends on what happens at my hotel escrow closing in Cambodia). IF I have time and IF you have decided, I could pick up the tickets or at least book the dinner cruise for you. Otherwise, PLEASE contact the Sheraton.

I wasn't at an airport unless you consider Bagram AFB (north of Kabul Afghanistan an airport.) I was sitting in a military hangar bored out of my mind with endless waiting for the military to get everyone rounded up and ready to go to Doha. I am now at the Doha airport, waiting for Qatar airways take off to BKK, then on to Saigon.

Don't know how you got to the Viator website, which is an Aussie based tour company. PLEASE contact the Royal Orchid Sheraton, which is DIRECTLY next door to the River City pier. They have a travel agent inside the Sheraton, who can book what you want.

Please be aware there are VERY few of the "packaged" tours that will pick you up at the port without special arrangements or extra fees. You will have to make your way either to one of the hotels or just get yourself to the River City Pier. Leave enough time pre dinner for shopping at River City-it will be closed by the time the cruise comes back. They have some pretty unusual stuff there-most of it NOT junk. Their elephant "paintings" and the temple rubbings are really nice.

IF I had enough time when I land in Bangkok in 7 hours I would go into downtown and get the tickets for you. But I have an entire report to present to the government by next Monday and it is only 1/2 finished. So I am going to hole up in a cheapie hotel (Microtel-new-close to the new BKK airport) and write. If you decide which dinner cruise, I MAY fly back to the USA through BKK (still undecided-depends on what happens at my hotel escrow closing in Cambodia). IF I have time and IF you have decided, I could pick up the tickets or at least book the dinner cruise for you. Otherwise, PLEASE contact the Sheraton.

Greatam, you are so nice, but don't worry, we won't have a problem booking the dinner cruise ourselves, but thank you so much again for taking time from your VERY busy schedule to help. I am just trying to decide which one. I will contact the Sheraton (we stayed with them in Iguazu and DH now has the Starwood Amex, which you recommended, and I will be switching when BofA gets rid of my US Airways Visa - right now my portfolio is one they are keeping).

Regarding where you were, well I forget it's "Greatam" because everyone else I know waiting for a plane is at an airport :)

The Viator website came from Ken (have you met him?). He said they do not book these cruises. He also said he runs the business for Tony.

Yes, I know the issue with pick-up at the port. Btw, Ken said they now have a license to pick-up there. I have emailed him numerous times and they will pick-up and drop-off at the port and are not requesting additional fees. Also, their tours include photos with the tigers (no extra 1,000 Baht). It sounds like it has changed since March? That would make sense because who is going to go to the Tiger temple and not want pictures taken? My plan would be to leave Kanchanburi at 3:30pm (vs 5:00pm) and have them drop us off at the pier vs the ship. Also, was told for 1,500 Baht we can have a driver all night. Not sure we need that, just someone to pick us up at 9:30pm, take us to the night Bazaar and than back to the ship. I think it will be the same 1,500 baht because that is what Tony's company will charge us the night before to pick-up at the airport and take us to the ship with a short stop at the place I worked at when I lived in Bangkok.

My DH's company is opening a hotel in Bangkok, but it's not scheduled before we get there, otherwise we'd spend a night off of the ship in town.

Also, their tours include photos with the tigers (no extra 1,000 Baht). It sounds like it has changed since March? That would make sense because who is going to go to the Tiger temple and not want pictures taken?

EVERYONE gets pictures up by the front of the entrance with tigers-included in the price of admission. The tigers are mostly chained with lots of guards/caretakers around to prevent the animals going out of control with the mobs of people around them. They usually bring out a couple of the cubs so you can take pictures of them also. They also take a picture of everyone walking to "tiger canyon" with the head monk and his special tiger. But the extra 1000 baht pp is for pictures in tiger canyon. Many more tigers-lots of very special photo ops-3 tigers together with you, you laying on a tiger, etc. etc. Many of the tigers in Tiger Canyon are loose and not chained. Whether the extra money is worth it to you is subjective.

Here's a few pictures we took in March. In order, from the front part where everyone can take pictures to the cubs (the little guy just loved me-kept climbing up my leg to get my water bottle) to walking to tiger canyon to me with the tigers by myself.

And for your viewing pleasure-a couple of pictures at the Iraq border-look at the trash. Kuwait is a filthy country-why they are taking cruise ships there is beyond me. And the one out the car window-all of Iraq's tanks, trucks etc, just dozed off to the side of the road in 1991 when the USA was chasing Saddam back into Iraq.. We WERE NOT supposed to take pictures of this mess, so this was the best covert picture I could get. The USA bombed the first of the Iraqi convoy and the last-there was no place for the middle to go. We got everyone out of vehicles and just dozed them over.

I tried to get the pictures to load. Maybe later-the connection is just too slow.

Archived