Back from NCL Dawn 8/16 -23

geneology

This was my first cruise. We sailed with 28 family members and had a great time. I always wondered after reading all the different posts "What type of person am I? Can I roll with the punches or will things bother me so much that I could not enjoy myself?" I am happy to say I can roll with the punches!! :D

To start with we had a party bus take all of us to the ship. My family was the first pick up and while on the LIE the bus breaks down. Sitting in a bus with no AC for 1.5 hours is not a good start. We arrived at the terminal in NYC around 1:20PM. Two hours later than expected. That just made my first cocktail on board that much better!!!

Hurricaine Bill cuts our time in Bermuda by one day. Now we are rescheduling our days so that we cover what is most important to my family. The horseback riding at dawn along the beach was cancelled - the one thing we were all looking forward to. I did cry over that one but quickly got over it. First day in Bermuda DD gets land sick. She was a mess for several hours in the afternoon before the ginger pills and Bonine took affect. Harbor Nights in Hamilton was cancelled because a storm rolled through in the early afternoon. We did not know this until we arrived in Hamilton so we walked around a city that was closed for the evening. We still got to see Hamilton, got some pictures, we made the best of it. Thursday glass bottom night tour cancelled because we were leaving at 5PM. Go to Horseshoe Bay. Cant get in the water cause it was too rough from Bill. Dont get to see the pretty blues because the surf had the sand all turned up in the water. Thunderstorm rolls in 2hrs after we are there so we were drenched when we finally climbed the hill (which wasnt all that bad) for the bus. We did walk the beach to the left and got some great family shots with the water crashing against the rocks. When we were sailing away from Bermuda with drinks in hand we never laughed so hard about all that went wrong but we have some great stories and still enjoyed ourselves. Each of the families had different experiences and we all made lemonade with the lemons we were handed.

As for the ship. Our room stewards, Marlon and Ryan, were great. They were attentive, always gave us clean towels when we asked, cleaned our rooms adequately, and gave us the best towel animals ever. Loved our hanging monkey and the pillow/towel man. The ship we felt was used but clean. Hey it is not a brand new ship!! Crew members were always friendly and attentive. Food was just ok but we did not expect a 5 star restaurant. Also coming from the NYC area we tend to be more picky. Activities on board were well rounded. We felt there was always something to do for everyone. Bollywood was the best show IMO. Pub Crawl was the best activity IMO. "PUB CRAWL" :D Color of the water while sailing is something we will never forget.

We all loved our cruise. We would definitely go again and since the freestyle fit our lifestyle we will probably stick to lines that have that atmosphere. :cool:

We were on the cruise with you. It was alot of fun. Unfortunately Bill did mess up our Bermuda plans. We tried to fit everything in, and only ended up feeling rushed. We did see the caves, Tobacco Bay, Horsehoe Bay, Hamilton, and the Dockyard was very cool! Lost my prescription sunglasses in the rough surf - so I'm thinking theres a fish swimming around somewhere wearing them and bumping into things.

The last day at sea - alot of swells in the Atlantic. I found it kind of soothing - but it bothered many people (still felt it the next day)

We had a large group also - 32. We did have trouble dining together, but it would be difficult even in a land-based restaurant to accomodate that many - so we - like you - rolled with the punches.

I agree - the food was "ok", and you used the perfect term - the ship appears "used", but it was clean.

I felt the best entertainment was "Fire and Ice" and - jeez, can't remember their name - but the Rock Band (sorry, I'm at work so I can't check my Daily).

By the way, a bit of a tip....we found many great spots very forward and aft on the sun deck. Everyone clamors for the pool area, but a little walk reveals many open areas and available lounge chairs.

Hoping to return to Bermuda one day to catch the things we missed....DARN YOU BILL!!!

so glad you all made the best of it ;)

can you tell me..were there captains and lattitudes receptions/cocktail parties ?

was the menu the same as the last one posted ?--just wondering if they changed...

thanks so much

I am sailing on the Dawn on 10/4. Do you remember what movies were playing in the movie theater??????

Glad you had a good time. I roll with the punches too. Life is too short to complain about the little things. Hey its called Freestyling for a reason :D

Welcome Home

Archived