What is an "Open Jaw" Ticket??

QueenOfKruz

I've seen some posters talk about an "Open Jaw" ticket - I think when cruising out of one port and returning to a different one - like a TA or out of Venice and back to Barcelona.

What is an "Open Jaw" - and is it cheaper than one way flights?

An open jaw differs from a round trip in that, rather than being to and from the same cities, there may be a different/third city involved due to other land or sea transit in between. For instance, an open jaw could be JFK/FLL followed by a full Panama Canal transit and SAN/JFK air. Or CLE/SEA followed by an Alaska cruise ending in SAN and SAN/CLE air.

Don't know if open jaw is cheaper than one way tickets ... but most or all airline website have a booking option for multilple cities. You could price it out different ways.

An open jaw differs from a round trip in that, rather than being to and from the same cities, there may be a different/third city involved due to other land or sea transit in between. For instance, an open jaw could be JFK/FLL followed by a full Panama Canal transit and SAN/JFK air. Or CLE/SEA followed by an Alaska cruise ending in SAN and SAN/CLE air.

The first example is NOT an open-jaw itinerary. The second one is.

"Open Jaw" has very specific meanings in the airline industry, so it must be used accurately. As with "direct" and "stopover", these are terms of art in the industry.

As mentioned above, please read the sticky for full details.

The first example is NOT an open-jaw itinerary. The second one is.

"Open Jaw" has very specific meanings in the airline industry, so it must be used accurately. As with "direct" and "stopover", these are terms of art in the industry.

As mentioned above, please read the sticky for full details.

Thanks for correcting my error, really. At least I was half right, with one out of two being okay.

Archived