Denali Shuttle Bus- Long Waits?

SJpaul

We were hoping to take the Park Shuttle bus all the way to the Eielson Visitors Center in the park so we could get off wherever we wanted along the way or back. My question is, how hard is it to catch a bus to get back on (with room for 4 ) around the first week in July? Do they pass by every 1/2 hour?

Also, if you take the bus directly TO the visitors center ( with no gettingn off) how long is the ride? Is it easier to catch the bus coming towards the vistors center , or on the way out ( ie should we plan on riding all the way in, and make most of the stops on the way out>)

Thanks~

Sorry, there's really no way anyone can predict how full the buses will be. You are going at a peak visitor time. My advice is book an early shuttle and stay on it all the way to Eilson. Then take a hike there (there are ranger led hikes from the visitor's center - or do it on your own) or hop off the bus on the way back to hike. This will be your best bet for catching bus(s) with four seats on the return trip. But again, there are no guarantees.

Hope this helps.

Very hard to predict as mentioned above. I too would recommend getting off on the way back. Figure 5-1/2 hours from the entrance to Eielson.

Buses that time of year will run about every 1/2 hour, sometimes more frequently east of Toklat. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visitor-transportation-system-bus-schedules.htm

This year most buses were far from empty but very hard to predict for next year.

Decide once you get off if you are willing to split up and return separately in case of a near-full bus. Bring a bus schedule with you (from the WAC) and if you can plan on catching a camper bus back, they are very rarely full.

For clairfication riding the same bus to Eielson takes about 4.5 hours, not the above listed 5.5.

It can work out very well to ride out to Eielson and than do your departures and hiking on the return, after taking a look around and determining what is of interest to you.

Eielson has an Aramark employee stationed for loading buses. You put your name on a list and they load as seats are available.

With doing your hiking between the Park entrance and Eielson, you probably will have buses about every 15-30 minutes. You would have all the Eielson, Wonder Lake, Camper and Kantishna buses possible for your return. Be prepared upon your reboarding a different bus, it is NOT likely to have those 4 seats together. IF that is a must, then don't depart from your bus.

Being afoot in Denali is a wonderful and incredible experience for most people, but I've had inexperienced walkers cleave on to me as if I were their mother when they realize they are OUTSIDE and ALONE until the next bus comes along.

One woman was in an absolute dead panic because the first bus that came along was full. I was doing a little walk around by myself. She kept saying 'You have to help me!' What help lady I'm on foot too. In fact I wasn't waiting to get on a bus at all. I was enjoying myself.

She and her husband had gotten off a bus to 'look around' and were thinking it was Disney World and another bus would pop along in 5 minutes. She wanted me to wait with them and negotiate with the driver as they HAD to get on a bus immediately.

I waited for a few minutes and heard the rumble of a bus. That rumbly roar of those school buses.

I really wanted to go on my way but stepped out into the road and held up my arms. Big show of flagging down the bus.

The driver said there were 2 seats. Lady, you got a deal I told the teary woman. 'We can't LEAVE you here!' she screamed.

She watched with great concern as I started walking again.

Being afoot in Denali is a wonderful and incredible experience for most people, but I've had inexperienced walkers cleave on to me as if I were their mother when they realize they are OUTSIDE and ALONE until the next bus comes along.

I think most of us have had this feeling to different degrees once we step off the bus and watch it drive away. I too would want Penny nearby. She's been around Denali a lot.

We were there the weekend of July 25th this year and hopped off the shuttle bus at the East Fork Toklat River near the artists cabin. When we got back to the road and started waiting for shuttle busses the first two were full heading back to the park entrance and we got the last two seats on the third one. The total wait was about 30 minutes.

The bus drivers keep track of pick ups and record how long we waited and how many busses passed us by. Have to think they record the drop off too.

It really wasn't a long wait and the weather was fantastic. Just gave us more time to explore near the road. Might help if you can split up in case there are only a couple seats.

That was a very nice thing to say.

The drivers do try to keep track of people. There are not too many people who venture off the bus and off the road. You can hear the buses from fairly far away. The buses have to stop if you indicate it is an emergency (arms raised in the air as you cross and uncross them as you would do when there is an emergency skiing) but they will ask you if you are waiting for a bus if you are just standing there.

They respond to waving hats and also the little dance I did in the middle of the road.

One of the oddest feelings in life is to be afoot on that road and see a griz waddling along in the distance. That's why I don't pay to see bears. Don't need to. A mama griz with cubs and I'm likely to try consider Plan A and Plan B.

I've hopped on buses when there was too much bear!

Archived