US Direct Vancouver - 2 diff. airlines

DaveOKC

From the information gathered on this board, we (3 of us) are interested in using US Direct going home from Vancouver on Sept 23 (a Wed). Now the problem - we are on two different airlines (American and United) and I understand that there is no guarantee ahead of time that US DIrect will take you. I really do not want us to be split up going to the airport (bad enough we are traveling split up), so how do I handle this?

WHen I sign up on the ship (Volendam) for the service, can I specify that it is a all or nothing deal? Or ??

Next question - since we are coming back to Vancouver on a Wed in late Sept with a 2 PM flight, should I even be worrying about using US Direct? Or just forget about it and take the new Skytrain. We will be in the first group getting of the ship (after the self disembarkation).

Thanks for all your help.

DaveOKC

From the information gathered on this board, we (3 of us) are interested in using US Direct going home from Vancouver on Sept 23 (a Wed). Now the problem - we are on two different airlines (American and United) and I understand that there is no guarantee ahead of time that US DIrect will take you. I really do not want us to be split up going to the airport (bad enough we are traveling split up), so how do I handle this?

WHen I sign up on the ship (Volendam) for the service, can I specify that it is a all or nothing deal? Or ??

Next question - since we are coming back to Vancouver on a Wed in late Sept with a 2 PM flight, should I even be worrying about using US Direct? Or just forget about it and take the new Skytrain. We will be in the first group getting of the ship (after the self disembarkation).

For a 2PM flight, late in the seaon, I wouldn't worry too much. Skytrain would also work just fine.

You may find that by 9/23 US Direct has wound down for the season as the customs program is supplimented during the busy summer season by university students who have returned to school. The new Canada Line will work perfectly for you so long as you have mobility and can handle your own luggage.

Thanks for the respones thusfar. My wife and I can handle our luggage easily enough (just did it in Washington DC on the Metro) but my 85 year old Mom is a bit of a problem. She can get around all right, and even handle her bag, but I do not want to overdo it for her. Of course I can and will take her bag, so it can be done, I just liked the idea of no bags to airport. Then again, nothing works perfectly.

DaveOKC

The distance between Canada Place and the Waterfront Station is only about 100 paces or so, and there are elevators and esculators within the station. The distance beteen the YVR station and the international departures check-in area would be about equal to a city block or so and of course you have lots of time. Your best alternative would likely be a taxi and your fare before a tip will be just under $35.

We were turned down for a U.S direct plan on the Sapphire cruise ship this July 2009. We 4 couples applied for it but midweek were told because we were using two different airlines out of YVR Air Canada/ US Air both airlines are active in this program but because we were using two different airlines we were turned down.

We just returned from the Volendam and the service was not offered on our sailing. They said that it is only offered every other week. We did do self debarkation and had no trouble getting off the ship. Our only problem was that they would not tell you what floor they would disembark from so we were all lined up on 2 and then they announced that it would be on 3. We then had to drag our suitcases up the stairs. There were other people milling around making it difficult to get through. Keep your X Card as you need that to self disembark. We got off and got a cab to the airport. Very orderly for the taxis. Much better than the chaos in Florida. You cannot check in for you flight until 3 hours prior.

Seamare - Thanks for the info. HOw was your trip? We are on the same Volendam in two weeks. I was also wondering about the first night menu - do you happen to know what the main entrees were? On the first day going out of Vancouver, how was the scenery for the first 2 hours? We are trying to plan our dinner for the first day and do not want to miss anything.

Also, do you have any tips/ideas from your trip?

Thanks

DaveOKC

I really don't remember what the meal was the first night - the food was good but was never blown away with any meal. The scenery was good - you pass under a huge bridge leaving Vancouver and then see Stanley Park. If you have time it is a beautiful place to spend a day or a few hours.

As far as tips or ideas - have you bought an Alaskan Toursaver book? You can get them on ebay now for very cheap. We did the AK Whale tour in Juneau - there were only 4 of us on the boat - very informative - we loved that trip. They then took us to Mendenhill glacier where we saw black bears munching on salmon from the stream. We were so close that you could hear the bones breaking. The glacier was very nice. It was a long day as we did not get back to the ship until 8PM.

In Ketchikan we did the Bearing Sea Crab fishing boat excursion - Holland offeres the same excursiion but we got it for the 2 for 1 price. We learned alot and was happy we did it.

In Skagway we hired Dyea Dave and was suppose to go to Emerald Lake but it was fogged in so he took us on a bear hunt (actually he had a group that wanted to see bears). Unfortunately no bears but it was an interesting couple of hours. We then went to the national park service and did their walking tour which was very good. People who took the train was happy with their trip/

You will love your trip - it really was so much better than we had expected it to be. I'm now planning on going back and doing a land tour on my own.

Seamare - thanks for the info. Funny thing, someone from this board just yesterday sent me the Toursaver book with both items you mentioned still in it! We will have to figure out what to do now!

DId you run into any good shopping in the ports? With the end of the season on us, I am sure my wife and mother will want to do some.

DaveOKC

On the first day going out of Vancouver, how was the scenery for the first 2 hours? We are trying to plan our dinner for the first day and do not want to miss anything.

Also, do you have any tips/ideas from your trip?

Thanks

DaveOKC

You have scenic sailing until dusk leaving Vancouver, take a look at a map. Perhaps consider a later dinner, so to have the opportunity to enjoy it. For clairfication it is Lion's Gate Bridge you sail under with Stanley Park viewable on your left.

Seamare - thanks for the info. Funny thing, someone from this board just yesterday sent me the Toursaver book with both items you mentioned still in it! We will have to figure out what to do now!

DId you run into any good shopping in the ports? With the end of the season on us, I am sure my wife and mother will want to do some.

DaveOKC

Lucky you - make sure if you want to use the coupons to contact them before going. We had no problem with the Crab Fishing. They even give you extra coats to use which was nice to cover your legs with. The AK Whale tour - we were the only ones for some time and then they were able to add another couple that was taking a land tour. I can't tell you enough how much we enjoyed that day - was the highlight of our trip. Let me know if you will be doing that tour and I will let you know how we got transportation back to the ship from Mendenhall. Of course we did not take any plane tours which were more that we wanted to spend.

There seem to be the most shopping in Ketchikan. We are not real shoppers but that was the place that seemed to have the most shops. Maybe some one else can let you know more about the shopping.

Archived