LAN airline

Bristol

Has anyone used LAN to fly from the US to SA.? How would you rate your experience. They seem to have the best price RT to SA but that wont matter if the 10+ hr. flight is miserable.

Would appreciate any info.

Not exactly the information you are looking for, but we used them from Santiago to Sao Paulo, which is about 4 hours. They were very good, and also they have a reputation for being one of the safest South American airlines.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew LAN airline last December from Miami to Buenas Aires, Argentina. It was a direct flight leaving around 9:00 PM from Miami and arriving in Buenas Aires, Santiago around 9:00 am. It was a very nice flight in fact the best one we ever had. They are so much better than the US airlines. We were given wine, all you can drink, for dinner, then turn the lights out so that you can sleep for about 4-5 hrs., then wake you up and then feed you breakfast and then you are ready to land. It was not bad at all. They even give you warm clothes in the morning, toothpaste and eye shades to help you sleep. Everyone has their own TV screen, on-board video games and music and alot of different movies to pick from. You will really enjoy flyig with them. Good Luck.

We were happy to read such positive comments about LAN.

We are booked for 6 flights with them in November/December 2009. Two are international flights and four are within South America.

We are limited to only 44 pounds per person for our checked baggage on the internal flights. Do you remember if they were very strict about the weight requirements? It's going to be tough to limit ourselves to 44 pounds because our trip takes us to 3 vastly different climates!

We were happy to read such positive comments about LAN.

We are booked for 6 flights with them in November/December 2009. Two are international flights and four are within South America.

We are limited to only 44 pounds per person for our checked baggage on the internal flights. Do you remember if they were very strict about the weight requirements? It's going to be tough to limit ourselves to 44 pounds because our trip takes us to 3 vastly different climates!

We are also flying LAN in SA and I thought the weight was 23KG or 50 pounds. Have they changed?

I checked the LAN website, and you are absolutely correct! Thanks for setting me straight.

For international flights, you can check two pieces, 23 kilograms each.

For internal flights, you can have maximum two pieces, 23 kilograms TOTAL!

23 kilograms = 50 pounds.

I must have read something about 44 pounds on another thread, but 50 pounds sounds a lot better. My hiking shoes alone probably weigh six pounds!!

I checked the LAN website, and you are absolutely correct! Thanks for setting me straight.

For international flights, you can check two pieces, 23 kilograms each.

For internal flights, you can have maximum two pieces, 23 kilograms TOTAL!

23 kilograms = 50 pounds.

I must have read something about 44 pounds on another thread, but 50 pounds sounds a lot better. My hiking shoes alone probably weigh six pounds!!

Unless the rules have changed, the 50 pound limit applies for domestic flights if you fly into South America on LAN. The lower limit applies for domestic only flights.

Unless the rules have changed, the 50 pound limit applies for domestic flights if you fly into South America on LAN. The lower limit applies for domestic only flights.

The higher, international weight limit ONLY applies if your domestic SA flight is a continuation of your international flight AND booked as ONE ticket. Example: USA to SCL (since a good portion of LAN flights arrive from the USA through SCL) to Iguazu or BA or Lima, etc-basically a continuing flight, even though you may have to spend the evening in Santiago/BA to make the connection to IGU in the morning. TWO bags, 50 pounds each.

BUT if you fly USA to SCL, go on a cruise, debark in BA and want to fly to Iguazu or Lima (for MP), you are RESTRICTED to the 1 bag, 50 pound DOMESTIC weight limit, even IF you flew into SA on LAN. EVEN booked as one ticket, the "layover" (cruise) exceeds the parameters of MOST fares (there are some VERY high dollar fares that allow this-you would be FAR better off paying for excess luggage than to pay one of these fares).

Please don't get confused. A lot of luggage weight problems deal with HOW tickets are booked, in what fare classes. But as a general rule, UNLESS the internal flight is a continuation of the USA flight, plan on the LOWER baggage limit. Most SA airports have baggage storage.

You can leave your luggage at your hotel in BA while you go to Iguazu. We actually got off the ship, took a cab to the hotel where we would be staying AFTER we came back from Iguazu, left the luggage and took another taxi to the airport for the internal flight. The luggage was waiting for us in our room when we checked in at the BA hotel after we returned.

• 2 weeks later...

We travelled from Sydney to Santiago (14 hours) and then Santiago to Buenos Aires with LAN two years ago.

The aircraft from Sydney looked like a Qantas cast-off - it was fairly shabby/dated inside. We were in Business Class and less than impressed that they were not sleeper seats on such a long flight. Old style business class seats - wider, more cushioned, more recline angle but not a bed. No personal video screen. The food and service was passable to very good (varied from meal to meal). There was a debacle boarding in Sydney and then again in Auckland as they had allocated seats in the premium classes based on a different aircraft type. (why the folks in Sydney had not relayed the problem to Auckland where we were due three hours later, I dont know!). However, we got to Santiago in one piece and that's all that matters at the end of the day. Our flight home was very similar but minus the boarding debacle. They have a dedicated business/first check in area at SCL that means you avoid the long immigration queue to exit Chile. The airline lounge was very ordinary but when you are a Qantas customer, you are spoilt by the standard of their First/Business lounges.

By contrast, the aircraft that flew us from Santiago to Buenos Aires was of a far more recent vintage. We flew economy/coach and it was fine - pleasant and comfortable.

The LANPass is great value to get around South America.

Best of all, they are part of the One World alliance if you are a FF with any of that group's airlines (eg Qantas, American, Cathay, Japan Airlines, British Airways etc) you will get points/miles on most LAN flights.(there are some exceptions). And you can get reward tickets. Our flights SYD-SCL-SYD were done using points/miles (90,000 Qantas points each way/per person).

I think LAN are probably the best and most reliable South American Airline. This year, we are travelling to South America again but will do the international leg on Qantas as since last November, they now fly to BA. However we will buy a LanPass to get us from BA-Iguassu-BA-SCL for only $USD447 each.

We are booked on LAN from Santiago to Cusco and back. Never flown on LAN before so can't comment on their service. However, I can comment on their reservation system. They have made many changes to our flights without telling us. The only way I found out was to periodically check our reservations. They cancelled flights and booked us on others without telling us. One flight they changed arrived 30 minutes after our connecting flight left. In another case, they had my wife booked on different flights than I was. Then they cancelled our seat assignments on one leg, but not the others, with no explaination.

Once I found these out, they fixed them, but I keep holding my breath for the next incident.

Bottom line is keep checking your reservations

We are booked on LAN from Santiago to Cusco and back. Never flown on LAN before so can't comment on their service. However, I can comment on their reservation system. They have made many changes to our flights without telling us. The only way I found out was to periodically check our reservations. They cancelled flights and booked us on others without telling us. One flight they changed arrived 30 minutes after our connecting flight left. In another case, they had my wife booked on different flights than I was. Then they cancelled our seat assignments on one leg, but not the others, with no explaination.

Once I found these out, they fixed them, but I keep holding my breath for the next incident.

ALL airlines change flights (with Delta being the worst of the US carriers). The airlines use sophisticated computer systems that only look at PIECES of the flight, NOT the entire flight. So sometimes the computer doesn't realize that you are CONTINUING on and puts you on a flight that arrives after your connecting flight.

LAN is buying new equipment at present which is necessitating quite a few changes. New/different equipment is why seat assignments may be canceled on one leg, but not on another. ANY time an airline makes a significant change, they are generally more than willing to change it to something YOU want. They have changed two of my JFK to MIA to Lima flights already (I have been notified, but I am a high status OneWorld FF). I am now on the nonstops to Lima, which are generally $3-400 more than the one stop in MIA. Don't worry, LAN will treat you VERY well. I would be VERY surprised if they don't. One reason I fly OneWorld-the best airlines in the world.

ALL airlines change flights (with Delta being the worst of the US carriers). The airlines use sophisticated computer systems that often only look at PIECES of the flight, NOT the entire flight. So sometimes the computer doesn't realize that you are CONTINUING on and puts you on a flight that arrives after your connecting flight departs.

LAN is buying new equipment at present which is necessitating quite a few changes. New/different equipment is why seat assignments may be canceled on one leg, but not on another. ANY time an airline makes a significant change, they are generally more than willing to change it to something YOU want. They have changed two of my JFK to MIA to Lima flights already (I have been notified, but I am a high status OneWorld FF). I am now on the nonstops to Lima, which are generally $3-400 more than the one stop in MIA. Don't worry, LAN will treat you VERY well. I would be VERY surprised if they don't. One reason I fly OneWorld-the best airlines in the world.

I know all airlines change/cancel flights. My issue is they didn't notify me, I found out on my own and called them. Their answer was there could be additional changes before we leave and that's why we weren't told. Fine, but let me know in a timely manner so I can make any adjustments to other non-airline plans and schedules.

I know all airlines change/cancel flights. My issue is they didn't notify me, I found out on my own and called them. Their answer was there could be additional changes before we leave and that's why we weren't told. Fine, but let me know in a timely manner so I can make any adjustments to other non-airline plans and schedules.

Bubbachief,

We had a similar experience with LAN just a few days ago. I checked Amadeus and found we were rerouted on our LAX to Buenos Aires (now via Santiago) flights, arriving three hours later on our cruise day next February, just 6 hours before sailing. Maddening thing is, LAN is still flying the exact same second leg of our original flight, from Lima to BA, but the first leg from LAX-Lima now leaves one half hour EARLIER than original. Why they didn't just put us on that flight is anyone's guess, but my guess is apparently there are "M" tickets to sell - we're booked on "L".

To top it off, Orbitz argued with a supervisor on our behalf but LAN refuses to change it to the most logical routing, saying we should try one month beforehand (right, when the flight's sold out?) I also know flights are changed routinely, but I've never had them totally reroute us, especially as there is an alternative that is very close to the original!

Of course neither LAN nor Orbitz notified us :mad:

Bubbachief,

We had a similar experience with LAN just a few days ago. I checked Amadeus and found we were rerouted on our LAX to Buenos Aires (now via Santiago) flights, arriving three hours later on our cruise day next February, just 6 hours before sailing. Maddening thing is, LAN is still flying the exact same second leg of our original flight, from Lima to BA, but the first leg from LAX-Lima now leaves one half hour EARLIER than original. Why they didn't just put us on that flight is anyone's guess, but my guess is apparently there are "M" tickets to sell - we're booked on "L".

To top it off, Orbitz argued with a supervisor on our behalf but LAN refuses to change it to the most logical routing, saying we should try one month beforehand (right, when the flight's sold out?) I also know flights are changed routinely, but I've never had them totally reroute us, especially as there is an alternative that is very close to the original!

Of course neither LAN nor Orbitz notified us :mad:

IF you bought the tickets through Orbitz, LAN cannot, per the Orbitz rules with airlines, interface directly with you. Much the way cruise lines won't speak to you if you booked through a TA.

As I posted previously, there are many changes going on at LAN with all the new equipment. There will probably be more changes until the schedule is firmed up. And September 15 is the time almost ALL airlines start rearranging their schedules for the "winter" season. Give it until the end of November so schedules are firm, then ask for changes.

And no, 90% of airlines WILL NOT notify you UNLESS you are a high tier FF or have medical problems noted in your reservation much before 30 days pre flight. You absolutely must keep track of your own reservations.

Hi greatam,

I didn't try to call LAN personally, but I would think Orbitz is a high enough roller that they could have notified them, to notify l'il old me.

LAN's schedule changed slightly. Ours changed a lot. Flights may be filled by November. Customer Service is lousy as far as we're concerned!

BTW - I continually see that you contribute frequently, and I'd like to personally thank you for your vast knowledge. It has been very helpful to many, even if the questions get redundant :)

Again Bubbachief - I empathize with you!

Archived