Room Service

micbooth

For us, it depended alot on how much we ordered and how many it was for. If it was just coffee and a sandwich for 2 then we tipped $2. If there were 4 of us eating then $4. If it was just coffee, nothing else, which seldom happened, then $1.

It comes down to what you think the service is worth to you. I enjoy room service, especially late at night (2am) and tended to tip a bit more at that time as well.

$2 for coffee/tea

$3-$4 for sandwiches/snacks

I'm with the OP - the later (or earlier) the hour, the more I tip. I enjoy a cup of coffee or tea on the balcony late at night - not to have to get dressed to go find it is definitely worth $2.00 (more if after 10pm)

I read somewhere on here that it was a good idea to get $2 bills and take them for tips. Sounded good to me. For my last cruise, I took my change jar to the bank and got $2 bills with it. They were perfect for tipping room service and bag handlers!

If you include tips when u pay for the cruise do you usually tip extra??

I have never thought about it as tipping extra since these attendants are not recieving anything from the tips that I have pre-paid, or that is my understanding.

This is from the Carnival website:

What is the tipping policy onboard?spacer.gifService Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $10.00 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline) as follows:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $10 per guest, per day must be prepaid.

Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At your discretion, you may adjust the gratuities at any time.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered. Tipping your Maître d’ is at your discretion, based upon the service you receive.

We don't often order room service and generally we tip about $2. I'm beginning to think that is a little low especially since that is what we tipped on our first cruise 5 years ago. Probably $5 would be more appropriate, especially since we order so rarely.

Tip according to how much they have to carry----since there's no "price" to get a percentage of!

Let me tell you, unless you have a dining table in your cabin, eating a full meal off of the coffee table or knee-high patio table is no fun.

We will sometimes get coffee in the morning, but for meals, it's just much nicer going to the dining room and being served!

Tip according to how much they have to carry----since there's no "price" to get a percentage of!

Let me tell you, unless you have a dining table in your cabin, eating a full meal off of the coffee table or knee-high patio table is no fun.

We will sometimes get coffee in the morning, but for meals, it's just much nicer going to the dining room and being served!

Very true about eating off a coffee table, but when it is 2am and you are wanting to get ready for bed, room service is the only way to go. On my last cruise it was myself, my sister and her 2 teenage daughters, so when it came to room service at 2am, you can imagine there were alot of items ordered. For the 3 of them, it was their first cruise, so there was also the novelty of the ability for room service as well that made ordering at 2am such a treat.

I read somewhere on here that it was a good idea to get $2 bills and take them for tips. Sounded good to me. For my last cruise, I took my change jar to the bank and got $2 bills with it. They were perfect for tipping room service and bag handlers!

I thought this was good idea also. But, it's more about you than then tipping the services.

$2 bills are odd lots, some people of different cultures do not even personally recognize them as legal US currency. By that I mean they look at them go "***** IS THIS?". Same for dollar coins..etc. A good old George Washington is recognized. And when they're banking their cash tips..it's another pile of currency to keep up with..a stack of ones, 5's, 20's..and then Geeeze..a stack of a couple of 2 buck bills, to account for to the bank.

Thank you for your responses, greatly appreciate them!

Larry: If you read this, think about ya'll every once in a while. See by your signature that you have cruised quite a bit. Would love to talk with you sometime.

Mick

Can anyone tell me if the tipping ($10 day per person) is reduced for 3rd/4th passengers in a room. Last year when we cruised the amount for the 3rd/4th passengers (children) was reduced. This year we are on Carnival and I'm not sure what the policy is there.

Same for everyone. $10 per day.

You may adjust as you see fit at the pursers desk.

I usually tip a few dollars, but I see that some on here tip 2 dollars for coffee and 4 dollars for a sandwich.........wow, u guys are great tippers!! That just seems a little over the top to me though.. The coffee or sandwich wouldn't be that much if you were paying for those items out right...

Archived