Fox still the only choice for news?

shorton

When we last sailed on the Paul Gauguin in 2008, Fox News was the only news channel available on the ship's TVs. Drove us a bit crazy. Can anyone who has sailed under the new owner tell me if this has changed. Perhaps CNN has been added?

When we last sailed on the Paul Gauguin in 2008, Fox News was the only news channel available on the ship's TVs. Drove us a bit crazy. Can anyone who has sailed under the new owner tell me if this has changed. Perhaps CNN has been added?

I couldn't tell you!When I'm on vacation,the last thing on my list is watching TV.I may have had the TV on once though during the 16 days and I thought I saw CNN.I was presented with a "News" bulletin each morning which was enough!

We recently returned from a week on the PG. The only news that I recall is the audio of the BBC which played on the station that featured images from the ship's camera. Granted we did not have the tv on very often but I would have noticed if Fox had been one of the limited channels offered. I don't think the new management would want to alienate so many of their guests by offering Fox and not CNN or MSNBC for balance.

We highly recommend taking your own stash of DVDs for TV viewing. There are DVD players on board. Also, they have a small library of movies.

While we don't watch a great deal of the tube on cruises, there are times when its fun to chill and watch a great movie. TV on most cruise ships leaves much to be desired and is very repetitious. Bringing your own movies makes it much easier to watch what you want, although if you rent from Blockbuster you will have some heavy late fees :( Love Netflicks for that very reason.

Have fun.

Rick and Donna

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I like to catch up on the USA national news when I'm out of the USA. Maybe once per day, over a cocktail in the room. As I told a Silversea captain a couple of years ago when they were only carrying Fox, Fox news isn't news, it's commentary. Some of MSNBC is commentary (not news) too. CNN is probably the best at "pure news". I know that some like the commentary of Fox (I don't) and some like the commentary on MSNBC (I do). So it is fine if a ship has those available. But what I feel I need is pure news, and something like CNN Headline News would fill that need the best.

...and by rambling bbc channel, it was a map of where the ship was located on a GPS type map and bbc audio (normally people yelling/debating about random topics). There is nothing other than preprogrammed movies that are looped each day. TV is basically non existant! not that you need it.

If you have the time to watch the news maybe you shouldn't be on vacation on a cruise, you would miss out of all the fun, wouldn't we Laraine?

Hi Patrice and Chris! We miss you both already! Who has time for news when there are stingrays and sharks to swim with.

We were on the PG when the "ramp up" to the war in Iraq began. I don't recall that there were any news channels on the ship at that time. But at the shops in the ports, TV sets were numerous, most tuned to CNN or MSNBC. From this, I know that these stations are available in that part of the world.

No way would we cruise the PG and sit around in our room and watch the news at all -- unless all heck was breaking loose as it did in '03. Then, we wanted access to information. And we never know when such things will happen, do we?

Archived