Fall colors - have they started yet?

Farrlacey

Right now in Connecticut, there is a touch of color to some trees. I would say where I live, the trees are still 97% green. For the rest of the New England states, I would rely on this foliage map http://www.yankeefoliage.com/live-fall-foliage-map/ made from reports of local readers of Yankee Magazine. Also, at the same site, is an interactive peak foliage map http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/ .

Since the peak foliage doesn't happen all at once across NE, you will have to select a cruise that gives you the best chance of seeing peak foliage at one of the ports of call. If I was selecting a cruise, I would choose one where one of the ports of call is Bar Harbor, Maine because of its closeness to Acadia National Park http://www.acadiamagic.com/ .

If you play with the interactive fall foliage map, link provided above, you will see how peak foliage creeps across NE, from north to south, from interior to coastal.

Since I suggested BH for a port of call, I would plan a cruise that visited there around Columbus Day, observed, which is 10/11 this year. For our cousins from the wrong side of the pond :D, that would be the second Monday in October.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love an update on fall foliage...we'll be in Boston on 10/10 then going to Portland, ME and up to Canada. How are things looking?

The Fall Foliage map linked above says the leaves are turning but I don't know what that means or how fast the colors are changing.

What's it like now where you are?

When's the best time to see the fall colors? (between NY and Nova Scotia)

Have the leaves started to change color yet this year?

This weekend, we took a trip up the Hudson Valley - the colors were nearing peak along the Taconic Parkway, and again in hills along the Northway north of Albany.

Lower elevations were still mostly green - even pretty far north [west shore of Lake George]

Just got back from the 9/25 sailing. The leaves are changing but in small patches. The cruisers going in the next couple of weeks are in for quite a treat. My hubby and I kept wishing we had sailed a week or two later. Good luck!

We just returned from the Oct 2 sailing of the Caribbean Princes. The colors are changing but are not dramatic. In speaking with the locals they say they just didn't have enough rain this year that is needed to bring out the colors.

Hi folks, thats good news to hear about the leaves changing colors, I'm headed into that area on a cruise on Thursday, oh and I can't wait. I don't mind if it rains, but not on any of the tours. Want to take all the pictures I can and down some of those lobsters, I've been hearing about, oh I'm drooling now!!!:D:D Am on the Explorer OTS, out of N J for a 9 day cruise.

Virginia

Archived