New England hot dog?

Seabreeze8

Read on here that someone mentioned New England hot dog. I'm not sure if it's about a special kind of hot dog or just a reference in general. What is special about it? Hope someone can enlighten me. We will be on a Canada/New England cruise in late September and wondering if it's something we should try. Thank you!

Jan -

Is this a Maine thing? Here in north central Connecticut very, very few markets have them and they are not served in restaurants or stands. Hot dog buns are not bread buns. I never knew they existed.

SBtS

No clue why it's like this, but ya, not even NH or Mass really have them. Jordans Red Dogs are the best. Available everywhere in Maine. Enjoy!

Definitely try the "red hot dogs". They are very red, and the natural casing gives a great "snap" when you bite into it. Nice and juicy, too. They come in all kinds of buns, depending on where you buy them. When ever we have visitors from away, red hot dogs are one of the first things they want (after lobster, of course).

If you are really adventurous, wash it down with Moxie. It's another "Maine" thing............it's a soda, like coke, only it's not sweet.

Oh ya..................dessert. Have a Whoopie Pie, it's the Maine dessert.

Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry!

Definitely try the "red hot dogs". They are very red, and the natural casing gives a great "snap" when you bite into it. Nice and juicy, too. They come in all kinds of buns, depending on where you buy them. When ever we have visitors from away, red hot dogs are one of the first things they want (after lobster, of course).

If you are really adventurous, wash it down with Moxie. It's another "Maine" thing............it's a soda, like coke, only it's not sweet.

Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry!

You've got my attention, I love dessert. What's a Whoopie pie like? Thanks!

Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry!

Oh, yum!!! Any recommendations as to where to get the best Whoopie Pie in Bar Harbor?

Suzie, they are two soft cookies with a marshmallow fluff filling. They come in different flavors too.

WhoopiePie.jpg

Oh, yum!!! Any recommendations as to where to get the best Whoopie Pie in Bar Harbor?

Suzie, they are two soft cookies with a marshmallow fluff filling. They come in different flavors too.

WhoopiePie.jpg

Ha! I'd rather have an It's-It :p:D

And for those of you who don't know what an It's-It is, well, here ya go!

http://www.itsiticecream.com/

Most times the whoopie pie is actually made with cake .... which usually contains cocoa.(I personally think it tastes like devils food). The frosting can either be frosting or almost an icing. Usually it has either lard or crisco in it. Sometimes the cake portion is pumpkin/chocolate chip.

Have a few different recipes for them .... everyone thinks their own recipe is the best! :D Most local restaurants will have them wrapped up at the counter for take out. Or can go to Big G's in Waterville and get plate sized. (Also new bakery shop in Old Town that has really good one's) Jan

Most hot dogs are red (and steamed) and the bun is a bread bun not a hot dog bun that one finds other places. Jan

*Most* hot dogs cannot be red. I have been eating hot dogs my entire life - in NH and MA -- and while I have seen them, I have never ever ever eaten a single one. No. Thank. You.

Now I definitely prefer the kind of roll you are talking about. Our stores call them "frankfurter rolls" vs "hot dog rolls" (we have both). I like the frankfurter rolls grilled and buttered Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

WhoopiePie.jpg

Thanks, Janice, for the picture. It sure looks good and big! I'll have to try it while there and go to San Francisco for It's-It to compare.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. If I don't get fat from the cruise ship food, I will from the local specialities. :)

Thanks, Janice, for the picture. It sure looks good and big! I'll have to try it while there and go to San Francisco for It's-It to compare.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. If I don't get fat from the cruise ship food, I will from the local specialities. :)

What? You've never had an Its-It either! :eek: If you come to SF, I'll personally buy you one! :D No comparison since an Its-It is an ice cream sandwich.

Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry!

I grew up in Southwestern Maine (Oxford County) and yes, the hot dogs were always red! We had homemade baked beans with brown bread, coleslaw and some type of casserole every Saturday night, year-round. Often the casserole was what my Mom called "Hot Dog Casserole" made with those chopped up red Jordan's hot dogs, chunky (homemade) stewed tomatoes, diced celery, dry mustard, and dill weed!

I also remember vension, buckets of steamers, fresh brook trout, dandelion greens, fiddle heads, and lots of wild blueberries! Fourth of July always meant whole grilled salmon with little new potatoes, fresh peas in milk, and juicy watermelon at our camp (not a cottage - a rustic camp with an outhouse!) on Keoka Lake each year. And Moxie - that was my Nana's favorite drink! (No one else liked it!)

Whoopie pies (also called Whoopsie Pies where I grew up) are great! I still use the Marjorie Standish Cooking Down East recipe that my Mom used - it's very easy and delicious!

Nice memories . . . thanks! :)

Had supper with my MIL last night (she's in assisted living) ... surprise! It was red hot dogs, baked beans and bakewell cream biscuits. She had always made homemade brown bread using a "recycled" tin can in the past.

New peas with milk are wonderful ... fresh blueberries also. I have a wonderful recipe for blueberry pie. I still us the Marjorie Standish Cooking Down East cookbook - Jan

Had supper with my MIL last night (she's in assisted living) ... surprise! It was red hot dogs, baked beans and bakewell cream biscuits. She had always made homemade brown bread using a "recycled" tin can in the past.

New peas with milk are wonderful ... fresh blueberries also. I have a wonderful recipe for blueberry pie. I still us the Marjorie Standish Cooking Down East cookbook - Jan

Yes, I remember the brown bread in the coffee can trick! I'm glad there are still Marjorie Standish fans out there. I have both Cooking Down East and Keep Cooking the Maine Way - they are my greasiest, most food-stained, dog-eared, worn-out cookbooks! My parents gave them to me for Christmas in the late 70's when I went to UMO and moved off-campus into an apartment with a couple of my girlfriends. I've never stopped using them, especially when I crave comfort food from my childhood!

Speaking of hot dogs, did anyone (besides me) watch last night's (Wed.) episode of Man v. Food Nation? Adam & his crew were in Providence, RI and they visited the NY System Wieners http://www.olneyvillenewyorksystem.com/ . They had a local challenger try to eat 16 wieners served "all the way" in 45 minutes. The wieners won.

I thought I was doing good when I visited and downed 3 of those gut busters :D. Best wiener in RI.

SBtS

Archived