Baggage Allowance?

jay07hardcore

Hi, Jay...

Wow... I'm glad I read your post. We haven't flown in a while and didn't even think about this subject.

Anyhow, here's the pertinent page from the ATN website.

http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/traveldesk/baggage.asp

Doesn't look very generous. If I'm reading it correctly, each passenger gets ONE bag to check -- however, they do give you 70 pounds limit instead of 50 -- and one carry-on and a personal item. If you want to check a second bag, looks like it's about US$75 each way per bag -- up to four.

Man, we're going to have to rework our "baggage plan" for our upcoming trip at the end of the month.

Please point out any misreads on my part, but I think that's the gist of it.

Cheers... Hap

An extra added bonus is if you are bringing a bag of just dive gear that is under 50 lbs that is also free. So you could bring a bag of clothing up to 50 lbs and a dive bag under 50 lbs and pay no additional tariffs.:cool:

A Dive bag is a piece of luggage for scuba divers to put all their personal gear in. I am planning to bring mine, since I only feel comforable diving with my own gear.

Thanks for informing me of that. That will make my packing a bit easier. Stupid baggage fees...

The allowance was changed recently - I think in July. Suggest you just use the laundry facilites as honestly the cruise is very casual. You cannot stint on the reef shoes or casual sandals as those are essential.

All my evening clothes are black so I dont have to carry more than 1 pair for dinner. Same with DH. No need to take a blazer or suit either.

Anyone flown recently who can confirm?
We flew ATN in April/11 and I can confirm that it's ONE free bag pp up to 23 kg (50 lb) in economy if your ticket was issued on or after July 1, 2011. Before that, the free allowance was TWO bags each up to 23 kg. ANYTHING over that is chargeable.

Our tickets were issued in Feb/11 so we were covered under the "old" rules of TWO free bags pp. DH and I only had a single checked bag between both of us. It was underweight on the flight from LAX but on the return from PPT, it weighed in at 25.3 kg and we had to pay excess baggage charges! Our ONE bag between both of us was barely 2.3 kg (5 lb) overweight. We EACH could have checked TWO bags (46 kg pp) for a grand total of 92 kg between us. But we got caught in their precise definition and paid 6000 xpf to get outta town. Not happy. ATN counter staff were sympathetic but nobody had the authority to exercise any judgement in our case. We have since written ATN about this outrageous charge and are awaiting a reply. As I mentioned on another thread, if we ever return to PG we will certainly look for an alternative to ATN. They were a huge disappointment in very many ways.

Thanks for all the info, I booked in June but not sure when the tickets were issued? very misleading, I booked with British Airways Traveller Plus for the first part of our journey as their allowance was two 23kg each and all PG brochures state two bags on ATN now everyone seem to be changing their mind, my TA informs me its now only ONE bag each with British Airways!!!!! I am waiting for confirmation of that from BA, all this certainly takes the edge off the "Dream Holiday".....:mad:

Anyone know the baggage allowance for ATN in economy class, is it one or two bags?

According to the website as of July 1st each person is allowed one checked bag not to exceed 50lbs. and one carry-on not to exceed 22lbs. Each additional bag is $75.00. Overweight fee is $55.00. Pack light :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the 11 night cruise. Awesome! The best time ever!

Just FYI on luggage. Make sure you bring a day bag. We packed to bags, but they require your check-in luggage the night before to be placed outside the cabin. You will not have access to it until you get to the Raddison (if you chose the Air-Sea package).

If your air tickets were issued before July you are allowed two bags up to 50 lbs each. I just got back Sunday from the 10 night cruise and our tix were issued in the spring so we were good with two bags. Tix issued July and after the allowance changes to one bag checked and of course your carry on. Just to make sure I called the airlines.

Hope this helps you. We also took a carry on as suggested by another member and it was extremely helpful when we had our day room at the end of the cruise.

Archived