Best time to visit the islands

forevertravel

I almost thing any time is a good time. I have been September/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/July/August

and we had some rain and winds at all those times but none were too bad. December/ Jan/Feb can be a big muggy but then july the water is not as toasty!

I have been on nearly all the itineraries and I think that the 10 day is perfect both from the point of view of time spent in FP after the long flight as well as the mix of islands.

Twin did you have cyclones in FP or in Fiji area?

I thought the societies were clear and the problem was elsewhere.

I think that winds can be high in May.

All in all its a crapshoot

Anytime is a good time!

Yes this last time Fiji BUT at the end there were some issues in FP also. 2010 we had two to deal with in FP. We stayed on Moorea post cruise and there were only 4 rooms filled as the hotel told everyone on Tahiti to stay home. We were the last plane to get out the next day for a couple of days also.

I really think its lucky of the draw as I was in FP in both Jan and Feb and had excellent weather a bit steamy but otherwise good. That is why we are going in Jan next year. Oh well, will keep our fingers crossed!

Last July there was a storm coming in when we were in BB and the motu was closed earlier due to high waves. My DD who never gets ill was missing at dinner on two days.

There are trade offs at going at different times of the year. Typically it's a bit warmer and humid November - March but the prices are better.

June - August the weather is a bit better except as Emdee stated there can be more wind thus wrong seas and the lagoon water isn't as clear. Plus the prices are higher.

FYI, This is my 18th trip to the South Pacific this year. Other that a few wet days we have been blessed with good weather ......... we always go November - Feburary ;)

In the fall there is a good chance of seeing humpack whales around Moorea.

We just completed the 10-day cruise and did get up close with whales on Dr. Poole's excursion. Some people on the cruise on a different excursion by Bora Bora got in the water with whales, as did some of the divers. You could see the whales from the ship as well.

The weather on our cruise was partly to mostly sunny, hot and humid, with mild breezes. There was some rain during part of our sea day, a few overnight rains, and on and off rain the final day when we were in our day room waiting for our late night flight.

In the fall there is a good chance of seeing humpack whales around Moorea.

We just completed the 10-day cruise and did get up close with whales on Dr. Poole's excursion. Some people on the cruise on a different excursion by Bora Bora got in the water with whales, as did some of the divers. You could see the whales from the ship as well.

The weather on our cruise was partly to mostly sunny, hot and humid, with mild breezes. There was some rain during part of our sea day, a few overnight rains, and on and off rain the final day when we were in our day room waiting for our late night flight.

This is one of the reasons we picked Oct...I hope they are still there next week when we go out with Dr Poole! Can't wait to see the whales!

Years ago we went in July and saw the whales with Dr. Poole. In fact he asked that we send him the pictures we took as he was identifying each one and each fluke is a thumbprint of the whales. We had a long telephoto lens on the camera so he asked for us to send them to his research team.

Years ago we went in July and saw the whales with Dr. Poole. In fact he asked that we send him the pictures we took as he was identifying each one and each fluke is a thumbprint of the whales. We had a long telephoto lens on the camera so he asked for us to send them to his research team.

Oh oh, :eek: DH wasn't planning to bring his " big lenses" should he? What size did you use? He just asked about it when I mentioned whale watching, and he will be sorry if he he misses them because he doesn't have the right gear. I'm bringing my binoculars!

Features on camera's today you do not need such large lenses as we used many years ago. With a very good digital camera you should get great shots.

My son used a zoom lens 50-100 without changing lens and we had great pictures of penguins and sea lions at a distance.

We used in Galapagos a small Nikon and it still did great shots that we were able to frame for our house.

My Panasonic has a lens that goes to 135 and it was fine for the whale-watching from the excursion boat. We got pretty close to the whales at times. I definitely didn't need a longer lens for anything else.

Archived