things to do in Key west

There's alot of shopping, and bars! Ernest Hemingway's home is there. The Southernmost point of the USA is there.

They have trolleys that you can take around this teeny island, so you can stop and go at your leisure . (Don't take the ship's excursion trolley--you aren't allowed to get off and on that one!)

And, it's part of the US, so your cell phone will work without roaming charges!

Ernest Hemingway's house is fun to see. We also did the trolley which gave a nice overview and was fun. After that, and this may sound really crazy but I was in Key West with my mom. She likes to visit old cemetaries (not my cup of tea but you know about pleasing mom's). I have to say, the one in Key West was really interesting. The water table is high there so everyone is buried above ground in tombs (sorry to be so morbid) but it really was kind of interesting. We walked there after getting off the trolley and then went to the main drag and had lunch and did some shopping. I love Key West.

Definitely try to get to Hemingway house. Just seeing the six toed cats is worth the visit (unless you don't like cats :(). The cemetary is fantastic, I know, it does sound strange, as stated in the other post, but there is so much history there, plus a little humor, one of the graves has a marker that states "see i told you i was sick". Since you are getting in early you might want to go to Blue Heaven for breakfast/brunch. They serve a great Bloody Mary, along with a lobster benedict. It is in the Bahama Village and fairly close to the Hemingway house. They have outdoor seating and chickens roam freely, we had breakfast next to a mother hen and chicks. Another great place is the shipwreck museum. That is right near Mallory Square. There is also the Key West Aquarium, my spouse and I like it, but it is originally from the 1930s(?) and isn't really updated but still neat.

Sorry, probably too much info, I really like Key West, so I could go on and on but I realize you only have a few hours. Enjoy...

So as not to repeat what others have said, I will add that the Mel Fisher Museum of sunken treasure is one of the most popular museums in South Florida. It has gold bars, Spanish coins, gold chains and emeralds from the wreck of the Atocha.

Another fun place is the Pirate Soul Museum.

If you are a history buff, you might enjoy touring the Harry Truman Winter White House. It is preserved to look just like it did when he and Bess Truman stayed there.

You might enjoy climbing to the top of the Key West light house for a spectacular view.

You might like to get your picture taken by the enormous statues in front of the customs House Museum.

There is the Butterfly Conservatory.

You might enjoy taking the glass-bottom boat or doing a harbour cruise on a tall ship.

I hope you enjoy Key West as much as we always do.

First trip to Key West was a cruise ship stop in 1999 and have been making it a land vacation every chance we get! We still have not seen it all and been there 7 times. Love Truman's Little White House, the Bight area (lots of local shops and eats, totally different feel than Duval) and the trolley is also great for an overview of the island. It may be crowded when ship is in port though. Just walk where you feet take you, there is plenty to see and do.:D

My favorite things to do here, some of which are free:

• The Butterfly Conservatory $
  • Walk thru Fast Buck Freddie's on Duval
  • Have lunch at the Schooner Wharf Bar $$ (or if you drink $$$);)
  • Have lunch at Antonia's on Duval $$$
  • Tour the Hemingway House $
  • Take a trolley tour $$
  • Tour the Cemetary
  • Walk up & down any streets north of Duval & look at houses, architecture and gardens
  • Have lunch at BO's Fishwagon $
  • Walk down to the Southernmost Point & take your picture with the bouy

Let me know if you have any questions.:D

There is a Margaritaville, its ok, usually crowded. Of course, Sloppy Joe's is a must but I think the original sloppy joe's (now Captain Tony's??) is great. If I remember correctly, it has a tree growing in the middle of the bar.

We walked over to the Holiday Inn and took the elevator to the top floor and walked up a flight to the observation deck. You get a beautiful 360 view of Key West, some beautiful villas, beaches and a real feel for more than just the busy main street. It was, of course, before the hurricane a couple of seasons ago, so not sure if it's still open.

We rented an electric car while we were there. We had a blast. We drove all around the island. There is a beautiful beach all along the road at the opposite side of the island and we also stopped at a few boat docks where there were alot of fish swimming around and a bar restraunt. We also stopped at a few stores, had keylime pie on a stick and went to the southern most point and a few other places.

The electric car cost around $120 for 4 hours and included parking at all legal parking spots. (meters)

Archived