Debit Card PIN Beginning with Zero

My debt card PIN number begins with zero and I have read conflicting reports on whether this will cause a problem in Europe. It is from a credit union, but has the Visa logo, as well as the Plus and Credit Union 24 symbols. Should I have any concern with my ability to withdraw cash from ATMs in Europe (Spain, France, and Italy)? I would hate to count on my debit card to work just to get over there and realize my only option for cash is to get it from my credit card (with all those associated cash fees).

Please reassure me (or let me know if I have a problem so I can plan accordingly)! Thanks!!

The zero would not be an issue. However, those that only know their PINs in letters, should know the number translation since most European ATM keyboards only have numbers. We have also heard of some folks who had problems with PINs that were more than 4 numbers.

Hank

I hate to be the bearing of bad news, however I was in Italy, Turkey, Greece May 2008. I have to cards one is just an ATM card that the pin starts with a zero. The other card is a Visa debit that does not start with a zero. Using the same machine drawing from the same credit union both using Circus, the ATM card starting with zero did NOT work. I too had heard conflicting reports that when I preplanned an made sure that I had a visa debit card.

I hate to be the bearing of bad news, however I was in Italy, Turkey, Greece May 2008. I have to cards one is just an ATM card that the pin starts with a zero. The other card is a Visa debit that does not start with a zero. Using the same machine drawing from the same credit union both using Circus, the ATM card starting with zero did NOT work. I too had heard conflicting reports that when I preplanned an made sure that I had a visa debit card.

I suspect it was more the type of card being used rather than the fact the PIN began with a zero, which of course is perfectly acceptable. Some machines for example will not accept Amex as it is not common in Europe. You should be fine though with Visa and also in general with Mastercard.

So the card whose PIN started with zero was not the Visa card? My card has the Visa logo on it, even though it is a credit union card, so hopefully I won't have this problem.

So the card whose PIN started with zero was not the Visa card? My card has the Visa logo on it, even though it is a credit union card, so hopefully I won't have this problem.

My card, while still a debit card, also has the VISA logo, and as I said, I had no problems......I was in Rome in December 2008, so fairly recent experience.

The 4 digit PIN is a must, many banks don't process for more than 4.

The machines DO NOT have letters on all keyboards. But I love the United States' ADA laws that state that drive through ATM's need to have Braille lettering.

Cirrus is the system that covers ATM machines- VISA or not VISA is not the issue. The PLUS system is another major player in that field. I am not sure, but I think CIRRUS is contolled by MasterCard, and that may have been the issue with a VISA card.

We recommend to customers that they don't start with zero, but most machines will accept a zero starting digit

Banks may charge you as their customer for withdrawing at another bank's machines, as well as the other bank charging you. This can get REALLY expensive so you may want to do it less frequently than you would use your card at home. In other words, $200 at a time, not $20 at a time.

Using the VISA debit card for purchases can get you some pretty decent exchange rates, especially compared to using the airport kiosks......

Archived