An Unforgettable Journey: Blog from orchestra pianist, Rory Bolton-Azamara Journey!

dpryo319

Hello Cruisers!

My boyfriend Rory is the new orchestra pianist on board the Azamara Journey, he just signed on today! His last contract was with Celebrity on their brand new ship the Silhouette! (An absolutely gorgeous ship!) His is a fantastic musician and such a sweet and personable guy who loves to entertain and meet new people! He played and traveled for 5 months through the Mediterranean and the West Indies and kept a blog about his experience as a crew member, musician, and traveler. He loves sharing his experiences with fellow cruisers and always has great insight on everything from where to eat, what shows to attend, the best shore excursions, things to check out while in port,guest artists he's met and played with, and great stories! He loves his job and loves meeting new people! I am posting the link below to his blog in hopes that anyone who is traveling or is interested in traveling on the Journey will follow his journey! His contract is from March 18th to June 10th, so any one who is cruising during that time could even meet up with him or see one of the many shows he will be playing in!

"Rory Bolton: An Unforgettable Journey"

http://roryboltoncruise.blogspot.com

Who am I?

I'm DaMara and I am the girlfriend "left behind" ;) back in Wisconsin where we are both from! I am a musician as well and like Rory, LOVE cruise ships, meeting new people, and sharing those great experiences with others! I am looking forward to having an opportunity one day to work for RCCL, hopefully in the near future! I love to keep in contact with anyone who wants to meet up with Rory or has any questions about "cruise life", ship activities...or anything, really! :) Feel free to e-mail me!

damarapryor09@gmail.com

I also enjoyed Rory's "behind the scenes" accounts on the Silohuette. Really hope he goes for a contract extension because we aren't on the Journey until August! Would love to meet your young man!

3/18/12: Sign On the Journey & 3/19/12: Day 1

Well, after a night spent in Miami, I boarded my new home today on the Azamara Journey. She’s a beautiful ship, significantly smaller than my previous experience on the Silhouette, but still looks like a good time. Upon getting settled and filling out all of the sign on forms, I had a tour of the ship, finished getting my luggage, attended my first safety meeting, and then met with the entertainment department for our first meeting. Shortly after, the band had our first get together and rehearsal. Then it was off to dinner in the staff and officer’s mess (which entertainment dept. has access to in addition to the crew mess), and showtime was at 9:30 for our welcome aboard show. It was a nice first night, low key, didn’t have to play too much cuz we had a magician/illusionist for most of it, and introducing the staff to the guests.

Training tomorrow morning bright and early at 8:45 and then rehearsal later on for my first guest entertainer. Heading down to our first port of St. John’s, U.S.V.I. after 2 days at sea.

-----

Sat thru nearly 2 hours of training this morning, nice way to start my day off, though some things were different in comparison w/ Celebrity policies and Azamara’s so our attendance was needed, despite having been on ships previously. After that, I was lucky to get nearly everything else taken care of: sign my contract, get my A-pass (crew ID), set up my wireless account (thus you being able to read this!), and log into my Kronos Time card account. I knew the drill a little better this 2nd time around, and was grateful for everything being within so close proximity to my cabin.

Just came back from lunch and taking it easy before our rehearsal at 5:30 tonight w/ our guest entertainer, Lelani, then a capt.’s welcome toast at 9:15 and the show at 9:45. So busy night ahead...

Back from the Capt.’s toast, pre-dance music, and Lelani’s show! Was a lot of fun, she has appeared in Little Shop of Horrors, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and many other great musicals. Another day at sea tomorrow, but were keeping busy with some more training, then jazz sets throughout the day, one at 11 in the Discoveries Lounge then 2 sets tomorrow evening in Mosaic café. Since there are no party bands, jazz quartets, or acapella singers on the Journey, we cover it all! We do have a jazz/blues guitarist who I got to listen to tonight while enjoying some dinner in Windows café, Victor Cruz. And then caught a little bit of our cocktail pianist and entertainer, Jeff Warren before our shows tonight. Oh, and I almost forgot, tomorrow we, the crew, get to have our capt.’s toast on the Bridge! Never got to go up there on Celebrity, so will be exciting! Adios till later!

****He has been having internet issues the past day or so if might be a day or two before a new post! :) ***

3/20/12: Jazz at Sea & 3/21/12: St. John, U.S.V.I.

Today, the band was busy throughout the day, starting w/ some good ole training in the morning, followed by our jazz brunch at 11 in the Discoveries lounge. We took a break in the middle and actually got to have our own brunch, which was quite the spread, ranging from waffle/omelette/crepe/pasta stations, an array of fruit and cheese platters, salads, lamb, cornish hen and more! Yum! Then finished off the set around 1:30 or so…had a little break before our next evening sets in Mosaic café, which both turned out great and were well received by the guests. Enjoyed dinner up in Windows, listening to Victor Cruz on guitar, and then sat in on some rehearsals the cast of singers and dancers were having getting ready w/ their 4 production shows that will be onboard. A great night overall.

Not much to say today about the port itself as I am stuck onboard w/ port manning (where a certain percentage of crew are required to stay onboard the ship, you can switch w/ people though which I am going to look into…) No early safety training today, however it was rather special as we got to meet the Capt. and his team up on the bridge for a private toast and official welcome, quite a privilege I would say. The staff is very friendly all around, and it’s a very nice quaint, little community here onboard, one of the reasons it attracts its guests and crew. Following the bridge tour and toast, we headed back down to the staff mess for security training and now am free until the evening where we will have some pre-show dancing music for the guests and Tony’s (cruise director) show following.

Tony's show was great, a lot of fun to play and listen to, and his wife even got to sing in the 2nd half of it. They are a great combo together, and we all had a lot of fun!

3/22/12: St. Thomas

Another training this morning about pest control, fun fun for all crew.

Then, had the chance to get off the ship for the first time today in St. Thomas. Explored the island a bit, ran some errands, and now getting ready to head back to the ship. Night off though, and the premiere of Voices, 1 of the 4 production shows for the cast, except the band doesn't have to play! So I will be enjoying in the audience for a change!

We also had our first crew party last night on the open crew deck, which was well attended and a lot of fun!

So the Caribbean is treating me well you could say... :)

Later mon!

http://roryboltoncruise.blogspot.com

Hi DaMara,

Thanks for sharing Rory's blog with us. I enjoyed reading about his experiences on Silhouette (on the Celebrity Forum). It's nice to see that Rory is currently with Azamara, and will be interesting to see if he enjoys the smaller ship experience. As we often hear about Azamara's wonderful crew, I hope he will enjoy his Journey !

Hi DaMara,

Thanks for sharing Rory's blog with us. I enjoyed reading about his experiences on Silhouette (on the Celebrity Forum). It's nice to see that Rory is currently with Azamara, and will be interesting to see if he enjoys the smaller ship experience. As we often hear about Azamara's wonderful crew, I hope he will enjoy his Journey !

Thanks Andy!

He is really enjoying his time on the Journey so far! Glad you and others are enjoying his posts.

:) DaMara

Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Can you tell us anything about the safety and security training?

I believe that if you go to his blog and go back to his July posts from the Silhouette, he went into detail about safety procedures etc. :) Things seem to be very similar on the Journey, only difference is because it's a smaller ship, there are only 2 muster stations (A and B).

Hope this helps!

-DaMara

We are looking forward to meeting and listening to you. We will be on the Journey May 6-17.

Fantastic! Rory will be thrilled to meet followers. I've passed on your names in hopes that you can connect with him.

-DaMara

3/23/12: Charlestown, Nevis

Well, it is a beautiful day here in the island of Nevis! Couldn't ask for better weather, didn't have training this morning, and even got to sleep in! Bonus!

A group of us went to this place called Coconut Grove Beach. Short taxi ride over there, and when we got there, it was practically deserted! Our own private beach! Unfortunately, the guy met us outside, one of the owners, and they changed their hours to only Sat., Sun. and Mondays---today happens to be Friday, so the bar of grill was not open, but the beach was still, and we had free wi fi, so we all set up camp, got comfortable, and enjoyed a day in the sun! Heading back to the ship soon, as we have a sound check poolside tonight for Under the Stars, an evening of rock, pop, music of all sorts, so should be a good evening!

3/24/12: St. Barts, Gustavia & 3/25/12: More St. Barts!

Today we docked early in the morning in the beautiful bay of St. Bart's, a gorgeous French colony that was having the annual riggatta (sp.), a huge sailing competition---boats from all over would compete in this 3-day event (we were there on the 2nd and 3rd days) getting their sails ready to tackle the course around the island. Quite a sight to see, so many sail boats, and some beautiful yachts, multi-million may I remind you. Now, although we didn't stick around to see the races, accompanied by Greg the magician aboard, Mary Amanda (jazz harpist) and her friend, we headed to Shell Beach. It was a spectacular day of fun in the sun, relaxing, swimming in the sea, and collecting all these different kinds of shells. I may have even brought some back for friends and family back home... :) (Coolest one I found though literally reminds me and resembles the shape of a grand piano, w/ black 'n white speckles as keys, I had to keep it!)

Back on the ship in the afternoon, we enjoyed lunch out at the pool bar/grill (being in the entertaining dept. does have its benefits, eating wherever!) and then prepared for our evening w/ our next guest entertainer, Craig Dahn. He is a virtuoso pianist who has even got to open up and work extensively with the great, Liberace. As a matter of fact, Mr. Liberace himself at one of the concerts Craig was playing at, gave him 1 of 3 of his jewelry rings, specially made w/ grand pianos standing full erect on the ring itself! It was apparently a tradition of Liberace to give away one piece of his jewelry to his performers. The first ring he kept for himself and the 2nd was given to his main sponsors, the family of the Hilton Hotel, and Mr. Dahn received the 3rd and final ring-quite an honor I would say! His shows were great, not much for me to do as he is doing all the piano work, but really enjoyed working with him. :)

It wasn't until the late evening under some light did I notice how much fun in the sun I really had! Luckily my neighbors had some cream and moisturizing lotions for me...

Today, we woke up to our first rehearsal with the cast for the Broadway production show, Stage Door to Dreams. Working out a few kinks still w/ the music, but it was a great first run w/ the cast of singers and dancers, and looking forward to more of it, great music! Then had a safety emergency meeting for our designated stations on board at 2, followed by me providing some music for a fashion show, put on by the gift shop/retailing crew (more or less filling-in mood music), then grabbed a quick bite, short power nap and we were off to rehearsal for our shows tonight w/ magician Greg (no band), and Tony's wife, Christine who is doing her own show tonight. So although we were still in St. Bart's today, didn't really have the time to get off the ship, but I got enough sun for multiple days yesterday!

Just now getting back to my cabin after the long day...takin' it easy for the night, drill in the morning, another run thru of the Broadway show w/ the cast and Hal Frazier is on tomorrow night, comedian/singer, should be fun! Unfortunately, we're in Dominica but I have port manning duties so won't be able to get off the ship tomorrow, will just have to enjoy the view from the ship I suppose...

We'll be joining the ship this Friday! Is Capt. Jason still on board or will Capt. Johannes be back for the trip from San Juan to New York? Also, will Tony and his wife continue on up to New York as well?

Both captains and CD's are great. We can't wait to get on board!

Beverly

We'll be joining the ship this Friday! Is Capt. Jason still on board or will Capt. Johannes be back for the trip from San Juan to New York? Also, will Tony and his wife continue on up to New York as well?

Both captains and CD's are great. We can't wait to get on board!

Beverly

Hi Beverly,

I believe Captain Tysse is leaving for vacation after the current sailing, so you will probably be sailing with Captain Ikiadis. I believe Tony Markey is currently onboard.

Have a wonderful Cruise !

Dominica, Guadeloupe, & St. Maarten

Our day in Dominica I was on port manning, so no getting off the ship for me. It had rained apparently a lot, and some of the tours, like river tubing, were even cancelled. So not thinking I missed out on too much. It was a busy day anyways with Broadway show rehearsals, muster station training (where I actually got into the lifeboat, was taken down and they inflated one of the life crafts out in the water) and then shows in the evening with Christine, Tony's wife. Shows went really well, but nonetheless a long day.

In Isles des Saintes Guadeloupe, it was a great start to the day cuz it was Payday! :) Then, got off w/ Pierre, our somalier on board, and we enjoyed a hike around the island-visiting some of the beaches like Bay de Pompierre, and enjoying the day, warm and humid, so we ended the afternoon at a cafe and a Carib lager, the beer of the islands--refreshing indeed! Big night ahead, one final run thru of the Broadway show, Stage Door to Dreams, and then the premiere! To add to the evening, we played for our Capt.'s VIP special, called Le Club Voyage, for all the big time cruisers, and then grabbed dinner, a pre-show nap, and opened up Broadway. We were all nervous everything would go well w/ the band and the cast, first production show all together, and....it was a huge success! Packed house, great response, full energy, and a great opening night! Got all of us pumped up, so we had a cast celebration up in Looking Glass afterwards until the wee hours...the cast is so much fun to work with and hang out with!

Today finally (3/28) in St. Maarten, a familiar port, and like last year on the Silhouette, there are about 5 or 6 other cruise ships here today with us, totaling some 16,000 guests! Slept in,, got lunch, and thinking about just staying aboard today, and not dealing with the hassle of that many people in one small port! White night tonight which is another new venue for me, so more to come later about that, and band is going to run thru and start looking at the next production show, Play, Stop, Rewind, a big pop/rock musical revue, so some great music to play to, looking forward to that and the final show, Cafe del Amor, a latin/Brazilian show featuring yours truly in a great soloistic piece, Malaguena. And more great news, we will be back to full power with a new tenor sax player coming aboard today in St. Maarten. Up until now, we were missing ours that was supposed to sign on with me at the same time, not sure what exactly happened, but all will be good now!

Later!

Archived