Stolen items on the Explorer of the Seas

Srebh10

:mad: I just returned from an excellent trip on the Explorer of the Seas. On the second to last day of a cruise you are told to put your luggage out for them to take below. You dont have a choice. My Cell phone, Digital Camera and a necklace (a present for my son) was stolen from my bags. I contacted RCCL to help find out how this could happen, I was told there was nothing they could do because I didnt realize it before I left the pier. Who looks through their bags of dirty laundry before you get in a cab. At first I wasnt even certain that it happened there or in the airport. After calling Nextel, I found that calls were being made on my phone as early as 9am. I was still on the ship at that time. I wasnt asking for RCCL to pay for anything, I was asking them to review the security camera's to find out which employee's couldnt be trusted. I was told, I'm sorry MAM, there's nothing we can do to help you. I was hoping they would at least locate my camera, the only memory's of my trip.

That is too bad that your items were missing.

My question is why would you consider placing items of value in your luggage that you place in the hall? Consider that "checked" Do you place such valuables in your checked luggage to get on a plane??

That said, I'm sorry your items were missing. Have you heard anything on them yet?

Actually, I was told at the customer service desk to only keep out the items that were absolutely needed to get ready in the morning. I'm not an experienced traveler, I guess I would like to think that we should be able to trust the employee's of the ship.

I have to agree with dmndlil, why would anyone put such valuables in unlocked luggage?

We always lock our luggage when it is put out the night before, but then unlock and take off the locks for the airport, but never anything of value...just our dirty clothes and shoes.

Sorrry this happened to you, it would be nice if we could really trust RCI or the dock workers, but we can't...our world isn't like it use to be. Got to watch your back every time you turn around. Good luck, hope you get something back.

Everyone is going for the bait here!!!!

Another 2 poster who only found this site AFTER the cruise and not before. :cool:

Point well taken. :D Seems like the people with the horror stories don't find Cruise Critic until AFTER their cruise. But, maybe they don't start searching for help until something of this magnatude happens to them.

That being said, I'm sorry the original poster lost their stuff. However, I would never, ever, ever leave my valuables in unlocked luggage in a hallway in a hotel or a cruiseship...even for a few minutes, much less overnight. I'm just not a trusting person though. I worked in retail for a couple of years, and caught many "high class" people shoplifting, so I know all types of people are capable of stealing.

I wouldn't necessarily think it was a employee who stole the things. Afterall, how easy is it to get caught in the act, right out in the hallway? Sure way to lose your job with RCCL. More than likely it was a fellow passenger. Unfortunately, not everyone is honest. :(

I was wondering the same thing.....why was your cell phone packed.....even though my husband has his, I would still have mine too! We might get separated, or something could happen to one of us in a bathroom or anything.....or one of our phones could just not work....

Obvoiusly if the cell phone records prove your things were stole your carrier will help you find the theif too. My company has a link on their site to report stolen phones.

....Good Luck....

Another 2 poster who only found this site AFTER the cruise and not before. :cool:

I'll admit it was my thought too, but what the heck, the boards seemed a little slow today....so maybe its just to add a little spice.

We'll see if the OP returns or not......:eek:

So sorry for your lost items. It's always made me nervous to leave my luggage in the hallway - but there really isn't any other way. Even tho I only have my clothing/shoes in those suitcases I wouldn't want any of those items taken either. No matter how much $$ items cost if it's mine and it's taken from me I'm going to miss it.

I wish you all the luck in finding the culprit. Security cameras in the halls make alot of sense to me. I hope you don't let this keep you from cruising in the future.

That's not exactly a fair statement. I found this site AFTER my first cruise. Does that mean if I had a problem that it is irrelevant just because I didn't find CC before the cruise? I bet there's a lot of people who don't plan on getting hooked on cruising and never think about searching for information on the Internet until after their first cruise. For that matter, I've refered several experienced cruisers to this site who never view it because they're just not interested. Would that mean their opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt or considered "bait."

Sometimes it's worth taking things at face value and not getting upset over them. Believe it or not, I know several people who don't think twice about putting expensive items in checked luggage. I even think the OP posted that they were not experienced travelers.

Sometimes I wonder how these forums grow if everyone is so hard on new posters that don't have all positive comments.

I smell a rat. Maybe the wharf rat ate them. Oh boy a cell phone inside a suitcase? :eek: I can see the other items possibly, but what good is a cell phone inside a suitcase? I am not sure anyone could be that gullable.:rolleyes:

Why is a cell phone in luggage so hard to believe? I have a cell phone that I rarely use. Most of the time it's in my carry on but it wouldn't bother me to pack it in a suitcase heading home from a trip. It's only used like a walkie talkie most times so my wife can touch base with me for errands and nothing else. The minutes used on it amount to maybe 15 to 30 per month.

Personally, I don't see the need to have a cell phone on you while traveling from point A to point B. It must be turned while the plane is in flight and I have a tough time understanding what could be so important on vacation that one has to be reachable at the airport. So why couldn't a cell phone be put in a suitcase? Obviously, theft is the obvious answer but other than that, I can understand people packing it for the trip home.

It seems to me that people always assume that everyone is like themselves. That's about the furthest thing from the truth and not being able to understand that is a handicap IMO.

Trust me, Elvis is really dead, Oswald was the only shooter, and the moon shot was not a fake.

:mad: On the second to last day of a cruise you are told to put your luggage out for them to take below. You dont have a choice.
Actually, as someone previously stated, you do have a choice. And it doesn't take an experienced traveler to know not to put valuables in checked luggage, that's plain ol' common sense. At 9 am, you may still be on the ship but your luggage wouldn't be there. Somtimes the school of 'hard knocks' teaches us a valuable lesson. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Hope you can put this aside and not be turned off by cruises.

I agree this sounds a little suspicious, but not entirely impossible. OP could well be someone searching for help from "experienced" cruisers who frequent these boards. Let's face it, folks- while the CC community is great to be a part of, and full of helpful hints and advice, we are but a very tiny portion of the cruising public. There are an awful lot of very experienced cruisers we've traveled with who've NEVER heard of Cruise Critic, and frankly, could care less.

Now, that being said, I'd have to agree that it would take an extremely novice traveler(not just cruiser) to put those items in their non carry- on luggage. Besides, those are items that would automatically trigger a TSA bag inspection. Buy the new TSA-approved luggage locks for an extra measure of security. They can be opened by TSA inspectors, and then re-locked. I know, because we just had that happen on our flight to Fort Lauderdale for our Celebrity Century sailing.

Funny story: on our first cruise(now ten, and counting), we were sailing out San Juan to So.Carib. We spent a pre-cruise night @ El San Juan Hotel. This was in '97, when the cruise lines had trucks come to the hotel to pick up your luggage for transport to the ship. Well, at some point between the hotel luggage pick-up and its arrival in our stateroom, someone broke into one of our bags. Knew this because the lock was gone. I had a shave kit in that particular bag, inside of which was a $500 dress watch(I know-stupid). However, when I was unpacking the kit, the watch was still there. However, missing was a bottle of cologne, and, ahem, the condoms I'd had in there. Guess someone in San Juan or onboard was planning a hot Saturday night, and didn't give a d*#n what time it was!!

Bottom line, if the OP is for real, this will unfortunately be one of life's hard lessons learned.

The OP could also be a regular and knowing how they might get jumped on, changed their name before reporting their loss.

Srebh10 - I am sorry that your items were stolen. In the future, you will now know that you need to take one or two good sized carry-ons for carrying your valuables with you.

Perhaps the purser that told you to leave those items outside your room, headed straight to your door after their shift ended. :rolleyes:

The following is a list of things that my husband and I carry with us when flying, embarking and disembarking:

Camera/Memory Cards

Glasses

Reading Materials

Airline Tickets

Documents

Car Keys

Make Up Bag/Shaving Kit

Binoculars

Jewelry

Medicines

Cell Phone

Souvenirs

Passports/ID

Pocketbook/Wallet

PJ's (worn the night before)

In addition, we make a copy of all our important papers, cards, ID's and leave those copies in the other carry on.

I hope this incident does not put you off on cruising and that with proper precaution, you have better luck next cruise. ;)

That's not exactly a fair statement. I found this site AFTER my first cruise. Does that mean if I had a problem that it is irrelevant just because I didn't find CC before the cruise? I bet there's a lot of people who don't plan on getting hooked on cruising and never think about searching for information on the Internet until after their first cruise. For that matter, I've refered several experienced cruisers to this site who never view it because they're just not interested. Would that mean their opinions are to be taken with a grain of salt or considered "bait."

Sometimes it's worth taking things at face value and not getting upset over them. Believe it or not, I know several people who don't think twice about putting expensive items in checked luggage. I even think the OP posted that they were not experienced travelers.

Sometimes I wonder how these forums grow if everyone is so hard on new posters that don't have all positive comments.

Since we are as a group so hard on whiney noobs in your opinion, what advice can we give her for doing something, that we almost completely agree about, dumb? For the OP there is nothing that can be done. She can write a letter make a phone call, but ultimately he/she made a bad decision. However, if another Noob happens to read this thread maybe they can learn that you should not put anything of value in your suitcases.

BTW, did the OP check the bags before he/she put them on the airplane on the return? Because the airport baggage folks are at least as likely as suspects as who they suspect.

Have you noticed how many posters decide to join the forum only after they have an axe to grind? It doesn't make them more likeable, does it?

Oh and if this poster is a regular and made up a new identity because they don't want to be identified with this negative post, two thoughts come to my mind. One that they are a coward, and two that they are in violation of the rules of this forum.

JMHO

jc:D :p

This brings up a question. If you book a cruise only ticket with no airlines involved, do you still need to leave your luggage unlocked? Are they checked by Customs at the pier as well? Since we won't be flying, I would prefer to lock mine. Any thoughts? :confused:

If the OP is legit, I'd like to say that I'm sorry for his/her loss. An unfortunate lesson learned.

Beth

Beth if you do not have airlines involved you should always lock your bags. If you do have airlines involved you should lock your bags, because you will be reunited with your bags when you claim them in the baggage area. Therefore, you should always lock your bags when you set them outside in the evening.

JMHO

jc

Beth if you do not have airlines involved you should always lock your bags. If you do have airlines involved you should lock your bags, because you will be reunited with your bags when you claim them in the baggage area. Therefore, you should always lock your bags when you set them outside in the evening.

JMHO

jc

Are you saying I should lock my bags? :p :D :p

Beth

Archived