Cost of cab fare from cruise port to Maho beach?

Sun Lover

Does anyone know what the cab fare would be from the cruise port where Oasis docks to Maho beach? Would we just be able to get a cab right where we get off the ship? How much time should we allow to get back to the ship in the afternoon? Thanks.

Does anyone know what the cab fare would be from the cruise port where Oasis docks to Maho beach? Would we just be able to get a cab right where we get off the ship? How much time should we allow to get back to the ship in the afternoon? Thanks.

Last time I checked it was around $8 per person (one-way) for the cab. I would leave Maho no later than 2 hours before all aboard.

Edited by clarea

Did this last August.

I don't remember the exact fare but it wasn't a whole lot for 4 of us (maybe $25-30.00 or so one way??) and you can arrange with the driver to come back and get you at a given time.

As for allowing time, all I can tell you is that the Island has Manhattan style traffic jams so I'd leave at least an hour if you're cutting it close. It's not far but IT CAN BE A LONG RIDE.

Enjoy the jets.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Its $20 per cab for 2 people or you can jump on the bus right at the cruise port that about $7 each. The buses and taxis are right behind the shops at the cruise port. And its easy to get a cab / bus back

If your in town (you can walk there in 15 minutes) you can grab a maho bus for 1 dollar per person. They pick up along back street.

Last time we were there the cost was $2 per person.

The buses look like small VW buses, not like municipal buses in the US. The Maho sign will be hand painted on a piece of cardboard stuck in the window.

Last time I checked it was around $8 per person (one-way) for the cab. I would leave Maho no later than 2 hours before all aboard.

As of last May, that was the rate for a full load. When we came back, there was 4 of us an I think we paid more like $12 each. As for the two hours that's fair most days. Last May we were there on Sunday and very little crowds, but we left right after the 747 do so some shopping.

Did this last August.

I don't remember the exact fare but it wasn't a whole lot for 4 of us (maybe $25-30.00 or so one way??) and you can arrange with the driver to come back and get you at a given time.

As for allowing time, all I can tell you is that the Island has Manhattan style traffic jams so I'd leave at least an hour if you're cutting it close. It's not far but IT CAN BE A LONG RIDE.

Enjoy the jets.[/quote

Did you settle the price to Maho with the driver before you got in the cab? Did you just tell the driver when you arrived at Maho to come back to get you at a particular time? How did you find him again when he came back? Thanks for your help.

Did you settle the price to Maho with the driver before you got in the cab? Did you just tell the driver when you arrived at Maho to come back to get you at a particular time? How did you find him again when he came back? Thanks for your help.

Yes, it's best to settle the price before you get in the taxi.

There are many taxis waiting at the bar, you will spend no time looking for a taxi.

Last time we were there the cost was $2 per person.

The buses look like small VW buses, not like municipal buses in the US. The Maho sign will be hand painted on a piece of cardboard stuck in the window.

Your right it was probably 2 bucks. All I know is that I will be there again in a few weeks and plan to take full advantage of the local rates. There is no better way to go for that price. Great beer prices along the walk.

Your right it was probably 2 bucks. All I know is that I will be there again in a few weeks and plan to take full advantage of the local rates. There is no better way to go for that price. Great beer prices along the walk.

I agree, you do get more local color taking the bus. One time about 6 of us were standing on Back St., waiting for the Maho bus. Another bus (with a sign other than Maho) stopped in front of us and asked us where we were going. We say Maho, he says jump in. One block later he stops, tells the one person who was on the bus before us that they had to leave, he was not going that way anymore. We had no idea that was going to happen, and it was over before we figured out what happened. Crazy.

Edited by clarea

Is there a drawbridge or something that can cause problems with traffic on the way back from Maho to the ship? I know that happens on one of the islands (I can't remember if it's St. Martin) and I thought it was around 3 p.m.

If we leave Maho at 3 p.m. to return to the ship, do you think that's enough time even if we had a traffic problem? How many miles is it approximately?

Is there a drawbridge or something that can cause problems with traffic on the way back from Maho to the ship? I know that happens on one of the islands (I can't remember if it's St. Martin) and I thought it was around 3 p.m.

If we leave Maho at 3 p.m. to return to the ship, do you think that's enough time even if we had a traffic problem? How many miles is it approximately?

There used to be some sort of bottleneck, could have been a bridge. I read somewhere that they had some new road construction and the conditions were improved. Still, I would give myself at least 2 hours before all aboard time. If you get back early, do some shopping near the ship.

Edited by clarea

As of last May, that was the rate for a full load. When we came back, there was 4 of us an I think we paid more like $12 each. As for the two hours that's fair most days. Last May we were there on Sunday and very little crowds, but we left right after the 747 do so some shopping.

What time does the 747 land ?

I agree, you do get more local color taking the bus. One time about 6 of us were standing on Back St., waiting for the Maho bus. Another bus (with a sign other than Maho) stopped in front of us and asked us where we were going. We say Maho, he says jump in. One block later he stops, tells the one person who was on the bus before us that they had to leave, he was not going that way anymore. We had no idea that was going to happen, and it was over before we figured out what happened. Crazy.

That is HILARIOUS. :eek: :D

What time of day was it?

They have built another bridge called the Causeway Swing Bridge in Simpson Bay Lagoon which was completed in December 2013 to get you back to the port quicker from Maho Beach. You don't have to worry about the drawbridge anymore. Even though it only take about 25-30 mins to get back to the port from Maho Beach without traffic, I would still allow for at least a good hour and a half, to get back due to traffic, road constructions or an accident.

What time does the 747 land ?

I've seen Air France land anywhere between 1:50 pm and 2:25 pm and Delta and United land between 12 pm and 1 pm. Usually between noon and 3 pm is when the 747's land.

Here's a look at flight arrivals for today.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

I've seen Air France land anywhere between 1:50 pm and 2:25 pm and Delta and United land between 12 pm and 1 pm. Usually between noon and 3 pm is when the 747's land.

Here's a look at flight arrivals for today.

http://sunsetsxm.com/index.php/about-us/flight-schedules

The KLM from Amsterdam is scheduled for 11:15 on Tuesdays and on July 15th it arrived pretty much on schedule. That plane draws the biggest crowds at Maho.

For those planning a trip soon there was not much beach by Sunset Bar and Grill this weekend so be extra careful as there are lots of large rocks.

• 1 year later...