Hurricane Season Predictions

Grtcdnwolf

NOAA CHIMES IN WITH THEIR PREDICTION FOR THE SEASON

The researchers at NOAA have announced their thoughts about the 2006 hurricane season and are calling for another "very active" season. The total number of named storms could be as high as 16 with as many as 10 hurricanes forming. Perhaps the more alarming number is the amount of intense, or category three and higher, hurricanes; NOAA is predicting four to six of those. It is the intense or major hurricanes that result in 80% of the damage that we see. Last year, four major hurricanes hit the United States- with Katrina being the worst. Dennis, Rita and Wilma were also major hurricanes and each of them left a legacy of destruction in their wakes.

NOAA is urging Americans to be ready for this season and has launced a National Hurricane Preparedness Week in other to facilitate that goal. Visit the links below for information regarding the NOAA outlook as well as National Hurricane Preparedness Week. For now, the tropics are quiet- but the season is almost here. I'll have another update here in the morning.

http://www.hurricanetrack.com/

I watched the news conference and have also been watching news reports on it all day.

Based on the patterns over the past several decades, they are predicting that the east coast, from about the Charleston area northward has the highest probability this season....Miami was also in a high probability and a small part of the Texas Gulf Coast was too...but it looked like most of the Gulf Coast wasn't in as high risk category this year.

Hate to see these things hit anywhere, anytime. But the very last thing we need as a country is the Gulf Coast to get slammed again this year for the third straight time.....especially with so many in temporary housing as it is!

The Director of the National Hurricane Center made a comment to the effect that "this will be the most critical hurricane season ever" because of the fact so many are still in dire straits along the Gulf Shore and in terms of the way the Feds respond in the event of a Major Hurricane.

Here in the FL Keys, we were hit 4 times last year - Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Wilma. Wilma caused an 8 foot storm surge where I live (we're on the second floor, so we were OK, but the folks downstairs lost their business). This week, the governor has lifted taxes on anyone buying hurricane supplies. I just spent $160 on batteries, a tv/radio/lantern thingy, battery-operated fans - did I say batteries? - etc. But I guess I'm an optimist. We're booked on a 9/9 cruise. I DO have insurance. We'll see how it goes. Buckle that seat belt, honey - we're in for a wild ride, I'm afraid!;)

We need to make a deal with the storms...

you stay away from the ports and we promise to keep the ships out of your way while they are out to sea. See, here at CC we know how to compromise!

fingers crossed for all sailing during hurricane season. We sail Aug 17th on a 3-day. During that time Hurricanes STAY AWAY from Charleston, SC please. Don't wish them on anyone, we haven't had a direct hit since HUGO 1989.

You know 200 years ago, these hurricanes never cancelled any cruises...

Everyone face South and chant, no storm on my cruise, no storm on my cruise, no storm on my cruise. Click your heels three times while you are chanting. Take one of your DOD glasses and make yourself a drink.

Silent Bob- I have booked the Miracle for 9/3/06 for my honeymoon! We really have our fingers crossed. We figured Tampa would be safer than Miami. We shall see.

Make sure you check out the roll call boards for this cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=290615

This seems to be a ship full of honeymooners. ;)

Archived