Princess wine question

Little Feet

We have not sailed with Princess for over 1 year now....and are on the Caribbean Princess on September 17th. Are we still allowed to bring wine on board? I love champagne and like to bring along a few bottles of my favorite for the cruise. Any info is appreciated!

Little Feet

You can bring all you want. My wife and I cruised on the Grand out of Galveston last March, My brother in law and his wife came with us and we checked two cases of wine and champaign. No problems, no questions, no worries.We packed the wine in shipping boxes, tagged it with a luggage tag and gave the porter a 10 spot to take good care. Included a bottle of CC and everything arrived 1 hr. after boarding.

We came back last week.

They didn't seem to object to a couple bottles of spirits- we brought 1 liter in St Thomas and 2 in St Maartin and brought them aboard no problem, and the waiters didn't charge us corkage for wine, white zinfandel cost us $5 a bottle in St Thomas!

You can bring as many bottle of wine and champaign as you like on board, but if you bring it to the dining room, it's $10 per bottle corkage. We have been charged accordingly. With PC dining, the waiters will be more likely to charge you for the corkage.

I've heard people avoid paying corkage by bringing a large glass of wine into the dining room.

I've heard people avoid paying corkage by bringing a large glass of wine into the dining room.

I think I have heard it all, how tacky can one get!

So let me get this straight. I can bring my own wine and champagne on the cruise, just box it up and put it with my luggage?

Yes, but I would place it in my carry on.

starprincess, use a wine shipping box with styrofoam inserts, tape it up and tape a Princess luggage tag to it. Use a black marker and put your name and cabin number on it. It will get to your room. There is no reason to carry it on, all you will be doing is lugging it around with you.

When I purchase wine direct from the winery via my brother in law's niece (she is a wine broker) the wine comes in the boxes with styrofoam. You can go to a liquor store and ask them for a wine box or two, most of those have cardboard inserts, just take some bubble wrap and wrap the bottles.

To tell you the truth, I was surprised that no questions were asked, as this was our first Princess cruise. All our other cruises have been with Celebrity and we just purchased wine on the ship. Princess ship board wine list is "lacking" in quality wine and I am not into paying 30 bucks for a $5.00 bottle of wine. Since our tastes lean to the high end wines, we decided to take our own.

As far as corkage fees, we paid corkage for two nights and none there after. I don't know why and making a guess it could have been the waiter serving the red wine before the white wine. My BIL said something to the Maitre D about it, but that is just a guess.

Take your wine and enjoy!!

Why am I not surprised! Were they wearing jeans?:D

Try not to be to quick to judge, we often come into the dining room with glasses of wine. They are usually purchased at a nearby bar while we are waiting for our table and feel free to take the wine to dinner with us.

Try not to be to quick to judge, we often come into the dining room with glasses of wine. They are usually purchased at a nearby bar while we are waiting for our table and feel free to take the wine to dinner with us.

Murphey,

Thank you; I agree. DH and I often order a bottle of wine in a lounge before dinner, then we have it sent to the dining room or take it ourselves. If we haven't finished the wine in our glasses, we take them with us. Many passengers arrive for dinner with cocktails or wine much the same as if they'd been seated in the bar of a restaurant while waiting for a table.

We consume our own wine/champagne in our stateroom.

Chris

StarPrincess, you can log on to Princess website and pull up their wine selection using the embarkation gift selections. I did a price comparasion on another thread and most of the wines offered by Princess can be purchased at a liquor store/wine shop for 5/6 dollars. I refuse to pay 30 bucks for a 5/6 dollar bottle of wine, but everyone has their own taste. My wife and I prefer a Cab, and we go out of our way to taste different wines as often as possible. Taking our favorite wines makes good sense for us, someone else may prefer shipboard wine. Each to their own taste, our favorite is Silver Oak Napa at 95.00 per bottle, but we found a fine tasting Texas wine produced by Becker Winery, a Claret for about 15.00 per bottle. Drink wine and enjoy.

DannyMac, thanks for the information. Of course I would only go to the trouble of taking my own wine if I was able to buy it in the embarkation port or one of the other ports we visit. Wouldn't dream of trying to take it on a flight. BTW the wine list you see on the Princess site is not all inclusive. It doesn't include some of the better wines that are included on the wine list in the dinning rooms. However, I'm not sure that you can order them via room service, but you certainly can order them from your waiter.

I brought 8 bottles of wine on my 10 day cruise last week. There is no need to hide the bottles or try to wrap it in your luggage if your not flying to depart. I just placed them in a rolling carry-on and put bubble wrap inbetween the bottles. Nothing was said and the bag fit through the x-ray machine. My husband had 2 bottles of liquor in his carry-on and they were in clear site wrapped in bubble wrap inside a 2.5 gallon glad bag. Nothing was said. They are just wanting to keep the line moving and to get you on the ship.

cactusrose, if you ever take the Grand out of Galveston, there is a nice wine shop at the Strand and 21st street, "Texas Vines" they have a wide selection of wines at $15.00 to $100.00. Their prices are competitive with the major liquor stores, grocery stores and discount stores in the area. Drink wine and enjoy!

Archived