Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Playa Del Carmen/Calica

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Chichen Itza vs. Tulum

Hi All,

Just trying to get some opinions on where to go: Tulum or Chichen Itza? For two people that have been to Mexico before, but never to any of the ruins, which would you suggest?

My best friend & bf are going to be in Riviera Maya and want to visit the ruins, but do not know which one to go to. They would rather not eat up a bulk of their time traveling to Chichen Itza when they could get to Tulum in a fraction of the time. However, is Chichen Itza that much more impressive? Or would they have just as an amazing time going to Tulum and adding in snorkeling and ziplining?

Opinions please!!

Norwegian Dawn 8/97
Celebrity Zenith 8/98
Carnival Fascination 2/05
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 11/05
Carnival Valor 2/06
Carnival Legend 5/06
Carnival Glory 3/07
Carnival Freedom 3/08
Carnival Miracle 5/08
Carnival Sensation 11/08
Carnival Valor 3/09
Carnival Freedom 5/09
Norwegian Gem 1/10
Carnival Splendor 2/10

Carnival Liberty 4/10
Carnival Legend 2/11
Carnival Valor 4/11
Carnival Valor 4/12
Carnival Pride 4/13
Norwegian Pride of America 6/13
Carnival Glory 4/14
Carnival Sunshine 4/15
Carnival Splendor 6/15

Old December 5th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have been to both, and yes the time it takes to get there, visit, and back to the beach area of Cancun or PDC is a FULL day. It all really depends though of where your staying. If your in PDC, then tulum is an hour south. If your in Cancun it can be up to two and half....

If youre a history buff and all that is REALLY important to you, then Chichen Itza. But if your just looking for some good ruins just to see, Tulum then.

Anyways... Tulum is MUCH better in my opinion. It's right near the beach and you get some AWESOM pics. Chichen Itza is a bit "grander" and more preserved. But it's not worth the long drive IMHO.

Tulum offers the same thing but with much better scenery... and your closer to the beach!

Old December 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've not been to Chichen Itza, but I would recommend Tulum based on our experience. We rented a car at Calica and drove down to Tulum. It took about 45 minutes one-way. It's a straight shot down a major 4 lane highway...easy to navigate. I had a GPS to make it easy, but could have found the site without it.

We really liked Tulum and thought it was an impressive site. The buildings are not as tall as Chichen Itza, but it's a pretty large site with lots of history, right by the sea. Tulum also has a very nice beach, so you after you tour the city you can spend your extra time getting some sun.

I'd also like to go to Chichen Itza, but I think Tulum is a better use of your time if you are starting from Calica.

Good luck.

Old December 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Been to both and I think Chichen Itza (MUCH larger and more extensive than Tulum) is by far the superior site BUT unless you are seriously interested in history and Mayan ruins it is much easier (and much shorter travel time) and much simpler to get to Tulum.

SO unless you are seriously into ruins, for a cruise excursion from Calica, I would recommend Tulum (the ruins are very pretty, small enough to do in a short time and easy to get to).
NCL Sun Jan 2006
NCL Sun Dec 2004
NCL Sky Feb 2004
Bolero
Sundream
Carousel

Old December 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Been to both many times in the past decade.

Depends on how much time you have.... Tulum is pretty but a small site compared to CI.

If I had time, I would hire a private transportation to take us from Calica to CI first thing and then if there is time to spare, stop by Valladolid on the way back to see what an actual Mexican town look like. Outside Valladolid, there is a very interesting cenote that you can swim in (I think it's called dzitnup cenote). It is doable in one long day.

If you put together a group of 10, the transportation cost alone should be around $400 only. But do ask around.

You can look up my previous posts for private transportation suggestions in this area.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default it's like saying "choose between the statue of liberty or the empire state building

you will broil in tulum. if you want video, rent "against all odds" w/jeff bridges. both sites are featured and it's clear which is better.

what view of manhattan would you pick?

besides, as somebody else said, you really should stop in villadolid, not to be missed.

Old June 14th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been to Chichen Itza, Tulum, and Uxmal. Uxmal is our favorite, but all of the ruins have their positives. I would take a tour out of PDC to visit Chichen Itza. You can visit Tulum on your own. There is a beach at Tulum. Stairs lead down to the beach at the ruins. There is also a light show at both Tulum and Chichen Itza.

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have been to both and can honestly say that I was very glad I spent the long day going to Chichan. You really can get an understanding of what life was like and the granduer of the culture.plus a respect for the skill in science and math that the Mayans had.

I think this time we are going to do Coba just because of time restraints.

Molly

Old November 4th, 2010, 04:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy2313 View Post
Hi All,

Just trying to get some opinions on where to go: Tulum or Chichen Itza? For two people that have been to Mexico before, but never to any of the ruins, which would you suggest?

My best friend & bf are going to be in Riviera Maya and want to visit the ruins, but do not know which one to go to. They would rather not eat up a bulk of their time traveling to Chichen Itza when they could get to Tulum in a fraction of the time. However, is Chichen Itza that much more impressive? Or would they have just as an amazing time going to Tulum and adding in snorkeling and ziplining?

Opinions please!!
It depends: Ruins with beach or ruins without beach. Tulum is on the beach and that beach is really BEAUTIFUL. Chichen Itza is more popular and well known, but no beach.

Old November 5th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

If time is not a concern, I'd recommend Chichen Itza....pretty amazing site!
8/82 RCCL Sun Viking 6/87 CCL Festivale 5/91 NCL Skyward 5/93 B2B PCL Pacific 7/93 CCL Carnivale 3/94 Commodore Ench Seas 6/95 Commodore Ench Isle 6/97 NCLWindward 5/98 RCCL Grandeur3/99 NCL Sea 12/00 NCLSea 10/01 RCCL Rhapsody 6/02 ROCL Olym Voyager 6/03 CCL Jubilee 1/04 NCLSea 6/04 NCLSun 8/05 CCL Holiday 10/05 CCL Galaxy 12/05 CCL Liberty 3/06 CCL Mercury 8/06 RCCL Rhapsody 9/06 NCL Dawn 11/06 PCLSun 1/07 RCCL Rhapsody 3/07 PCLSea 11/07 B2B PCLStar 8/08 CCL Glory 9/08 CCL Ecstasy 11/08 CCL Holiday 11/08 NCLSpirit 4/09 PCL Island 9/09 NCL Majesty 10/09 PCL Emerald 1/10 Costa Pacifica 10/10 CCL Ecstasy 11/10 PCL Emerald 1/11 Carnival Elation 4/11 B2B PCLCoral 11/11 PCLSapphire 3/12 HAL Prinsendam 9/12 CCL Triumph 11/12 HAL Westerdam, 2/13 B2B2B CCL Splendor 7/13 HAL Veendam 10/13 NCLSky 10/13 HAL Maasdam 8/14 HAL Amsterdam
FUTURE:
11/11/14 PCL W. Carib
11/24/14 HAL S. Carib
1/23/15 PCL World

Old November 28th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If this is a land vacation, and therefore you don't have to worry about making it back to the ship: I'd suggest the area ruins in this order:

Chichen Itza
Coba
Ek Balam
Tulum

For land vacationers, there are day trip packages for all these sites from just about every hotel.

Past Cruises ...
the ship name is a link to my CC trip review

Old December 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Tulum and Play del Carmen

We will be in Calica in March on the Elation. For those who have ported here before, are there drivers who will take you to Tulum, wait for you, then take you to Play del Carmen for some shopping? From Playa, is it easy to find a taxi back to the ship? Any estimates as to the cost for hiring a driver or taxi for the trip to Tulum and then to Playa?

Thanks for any assistance!!

Captain Ronn

Old December 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If docking in Calica I would go to Tulum. If docking in Progresso then I would go to Chichen Itza or Uxmal. When I have limited time in port I want to spend less time on the road and more time enjoying the ruins. If you get to Belize then go see Xuantanich. It is an all day excursion. If you have limited time in Belize then go see Altun Ha - very close to Belize City. I am a ruin junkie - my favorite shore excursion.

Old May 5th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't read all the replies so forgive me if I am repeating what someone else may have already said. Tulum is beautifully located but small. Chichen Itza is one of the new seven wonders of world and you get a much better idea of the ruins there. However, one that wasn't mentioned is Coba, which is my favorite. They have a pyramid, which you can still climb to the top of, unless something has recently changed, which is an experience.

I honestly don't recommend driving in Mexico on your own with a car rental. The police there are not very friendly and they can really extort money from travelers and are known for doing so. Especially driving a distance to those place. I recommend a ship tour or planning one before you get there.

Also be aware those places are very very hot and humid so bring plenty of water with you.

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tour companies for chichen itza

Hi ,we are normally cruising but have compromised with friends to do a land trip and are planning to do chichen itza and wonder if anyone can recommend a good tour company? I have looked at several different ones that seem to vary widely in price for what looks like the same or very similar tours .we are ruin junkies too and one of our favorite places is Belize,Xunantunich is great and one of our very favorites is Lamanai. the ride to get there is almost as incredible as the ruins them selves. Thanks

Old August 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default One Vote for Tulum

Tulum has all the comforts with a Dairy Queen, Haagen Daz, McDonalds, and a Subway outside of the ruins. It will not take all day to walk and there is an incredible beach down the cliff-side stairs.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=501

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/
Brindisi - Pireaus, Greece Jun 1983 (3 days)
Greek Islands, June 1985 (3 days)
Pireaus - Venice, Italy Dec 1985 (3 days)
Oosterdam - Alaska May 2008 (7 days)
Westerdam - Alaska May 2009 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Eastern and Southern) - Feb 2010 (14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2010 (7 days)
Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera - April 2011 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska (Inside Passage) - Sep 2011 (Back to back 14 days)
Noordam - Caribbean Seafarer - Mar 2012 (11 days)
Niew Amsterdam - Caribbean (Western) - Nov 2012 (7 days)
Westerdam - Caribbean (Southern) - Dec 2012 (7 days)
Zuiderdam - Alaska Inside Passage - May 2013 (Back to back 14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Sunfarer- Nov 2013 (10 days)
Westerdam - Alaska - Jul 2014 (Back to back 14 days)
Nieuw Amsterdam - Dec 2014 Caribbean - (East-West 14 days)
Noordam - Alaska Inside Passage - May 2015 (Back to back 14 days)

Old October 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

it all depends on what you are looking for but put into the run the ruins in coba which are far better then tulum.

Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlflower View Post

I honestly don't recommend driving in Mexico on your own with a car rental. The police there are not very friendly and they can really extort money from travelers and are known for doing so. Especially driving a distance to those place.
Do you have personal experience with this happening to you? Please give details.
My experience driving (more than once for a fortnight at a time) in this area (Yucatan) has been without problem of any kind.
Timewise though, it might be more relaxing to be driven, to take a bus tour from the port. (We have stayed in the area longer to see all these ruins mentioned, plus EkBalam, our favorite of the 4.)
For a day off the ship, Tulum might be a good suggestion, with its lovely beach to add to the dramatically placed cliffside ruins (that are themselves often crowded, touristy, and also less interesting IMO than CI or EkBalam). But CI is certainly the more impressive ruin.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Do you have personal experience with this happening to you? Please give details.
My experience driving (more than once for a fortnight at a time) in this area (Yucatan) has been without problem of any kind.
Timewise though, it might be more relaxing to be driven, to take a bus tour from the port. (We have stayed in the area longer to see all these ruins mentioned, plus EkBalam, our favorite of the 4.)
For a day off the ship, Tulum might be a good suggestion, with its lovely beach to add to the dramatically placed cliffside ruins (that are themselves often crowded, touristy, and also less interesting IMO than CI or EkBalam). But CI is certainly the more impressive ruin.
Not sure if you realize you are dredging up posts that are over 2 years old.

Past Cruises ...
the ship name is a link to my CC trip review

Old October 23rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

So you assume no one ever reads these threads after the OP posts?

I simply don't like the idea of posters perpetuating scare stories on these forums so other impressionable people get an erroneous idea of conditions, so a counter-post, even late, could be good information for someone who could possibly be deterred by third-hand accounts and bad-news-sells reportage.