Inexpensive Day in Icy Straight Point/Hoonah

Phamer55

Hello. I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids and I'm looking for some inexpenive activities in Icy Straight Point / Hoonah (the per person pricing for excursions really add up). We do like hiking, wondering if there were good trials near by. Also, I've seen a bear speaking tour that goes to a river where there are viewing platforms, wondering if that can be done via taxi. Thoughts?

Hello. I am traveling with my wife and 2 kids and I'm looking for some inexpenive activities in Icy Straight Point / Hoonah (the per person pricing for excursions really add up). We do like hiking, wondering if there were good trials near by. Also, I've seen a bear speaking tour that goes to a river where there are viewing platforms, wondering if that can be done via taxi. Thoughts?

The bear platforms are contracted viewing. There aren't any taxis you pick up in Hoonah. IF you want to go bear viewing, then you are going to have to get a tour. I highly recommend going independent since for bear viewing, you need to be on the move, not just going back and forth to one place like the platforms. Viewing stats are far greater on the move.

There is a short loop trail around the "compound" area, there is a free Cannery Museum. You can walk the mile distance along the waterfront to Hoonah. A few eateries, about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was old by a local in Skagway that the best way to see a bear in Icey Straight is to go to the garbage dump.. From what I see I would stay on the ship for most of the day. I think Icey Straight is outrageously overpriced. I plan on walking around for a while and see what is for free and then get back on the ship for a nap...:rolleyes:

I was old by a local in Skagway that the best way to see a bear in Icey Straight is to go to the garbage dump.. From what I see I would stay on the ship for most of the day. I think Icey Straight is outrageously overpriced. I plan on walking around for a while and see what is for free and then get back on the ship for a nap...:rolleyes:

I agree with you....my plan now is to just walk to the town and back for some exercise and enjoy a nice "sea day" onboard without a lot of people.

well i will spend most of the day on the ship to.. but i will probably get a cab to the garbage dump to.. The bears go there to look for food. I think it is silly they stop for 10 hours in this port. Then only have a half day in Juneau..I wont be spending any money in this port if I can help it.. just on general principal. It does annoy me that, the cruise lines wastes this much time in a small port that could be done in half a day. I have a drink package so I be spending the day on the cruise ships nickel ....:mad:

Edited by squeeky336

You may see bears at your local zoo for a fraction of the cost. I don't get this?

If you need to get a bear tour, my suggestion is to do it in another port like Skagway. The port you picked ISP/Hoonah are tender ports which means you travel to shore on a mini-boat from your ship.

I think the "tours" offered by the ships are way overpriced and you will find happier people on here that booked "smaller" on their own tours when they got off the ship or reserved beforehand. Even those people with 40k posts on here.

If you absolutely have to see a bear, don't get a tour, go to your local Zoo. You can't see a glacier, whale, or those at your local zoo.

I don't get the bitching about Icy Strait Point/Hoonah. It's a great break from the shop/shop/shop commercial atmosphere in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. It's nice that their isn't another tacky jewelry store in ISP. ISP has many things to do - free and not free.

I will be taking the zip line again this year if the weather isn't totally fogged it. Did it once before in total fog. Great museum in port, crab shack, hiking. Be creative. Last time there was a group of whales bubble feeding right in the middle of the port, just offshore.

and what is there to do there that is Free? Everything to do there that has been mentioned on this thread, is contracted by the cruise lines. It is expensive and there is no competition for business. So passengers are a captive audience for 8 to 10 hours. I think to be in this port for so long, was not nice of the cruise lines and ploy to increase revenue. Especially, since is cuts time short on other ports with more to do.. 4 to 6 hours tops would have been appropriate. I would have rather had a full day in Juneau for both whale watching Mendenhall and shopping or a longer day to see the Yukon in Skagway.

Edited by squeeky336
spelling

I would have rather had a full day in Juneau for both whale watching Mendenhall and shopping or a longer day to see the Yukon in Skagway.

I think you should have looked for a better itinerary. I'm on the Radiance and we are in Juneau from 9am to 9pm and in Skagway from 7am to 8pm.

Love the extended port time!!

I have to say that ISP was my favorite port. The experience of the tender alone was fun (especially being disabled it really was a positive experience). Also seeing so many whales from the dock was amazing. There is a wonderful native art exhibit inside a large building right on the waterfront that explained life in the town, wildlife, art and foods.

We took the Forest Tram and Native Dance tour and it was minimal cost and very informative as well as friendly for my lack of mobility.

It was also nice to have a quiet stop where you can actually learn first hand from the locals about life in a small town in Alaska. On the tour we did our guide was a young gal from the high school who also danced in the performance and was outstanding.

I am sure you and your family will enjoy the stop even if you do not see any bears....

• Thanks 1

I am on 2 cruises.. I am on the Celebrity Millennium out of Vancouver on the way to Seward and take the NCL Sun on the way back.. This was the only ships that would give me 3 days in Seward in between. I am just venting because I don't like that the Celebrity ship cuts the day short in Skagway and the NCL cuts the day short in Juneau. But both spend long days in ISP.

The purpose of this site is to give each other tips on how to save money and get the best experience possible. Often you can by exploring other options for sightseeing and planning ahead.

I just think the excursions there are overpriced and they are really no other options in ISP. The idea of this site is to share ideas.. I always book excursions with local companies and often you dont need a tour at all. But you cant in ISP.

Yes I will make the best of it.. I guess i will walk around and see the town. And yes i will go to the garbage dump as I was advised to see bears. But I do not need 8 hours 10 hours to do that and even guest that will be baited into buying overpriced tours will not need that much time there either, was my point.

How DARE cruiselines, not have the port times some traveler wants? :) Did they look at HAL, Princess? Or were their selections too narrow? why not have 4 days in Seward and book the other direction, you aren't getting to Glacier Bay either?

The itineraries are going to be very much enjoyed by others. I went on NCL last year, it was a superb itinerary.

There are no perfect cruises. It is no mystery that touring in Alaska are high costs. They involve high dollar operation, fuel, aircraft, food, buses, are all big money to obtain. I would think people are looking at the whole package before they book? But I do see frequently the "shock" posts, about tours/flights/hotels/car rentals etc etc being "outrageous", finding out after they have half their trip in place. Some cancel.

As for Hoonah, there are SEVERAL independent vendors. It doesn't even sound like this poster has even been there? It is a superb place for bear viewing and has very good stats for brown bears- without any fly in needed, at significantly lower costs. Even comparing with Denali- seeing the salmon eaters is a thrill for many.

It will be interesting finding out, how someone is going to get to the dump? They know where it is?

Edited by Budget Queen

i did not comment on this thread to argue. i wish i did not have to go without Glacier Bay but there were no other sailings that would work because of the schedules.. ships that leave out of Seward sal every 2 weeks not every week

sqeekey336, I understand how you feel about over-priced tours, however as others have mentioned, those are through the cruise line. We first visited Icy Strait Point in 2005 and on May 25th we'll be visiting this incredible port for the fourth time. Icy Strait Point is where I fell in love with Alaska. By the way there is really a lot to do that is free! No tee-shirt factory stores or Diamond's International stores, but some special shops and at least when we were there last, affordable too!

As you sail into this port, I hope you are an early riser because the beauty is absolutely breathtaking! We witnessed Bubble-net feeding. To see a pod of whales working together to swallow vast amounts of krill (their food source) some with their mouths at almost 180 degree angle is a sight to see! All right there in the harbor off Icy Strait Point! Of course, you'll have to be at the right place at the right time, however there are nice walks on along the waterfront...no cost.

I hope this pic will work so you'll see what I'm describing: If it comes through as a link, just click on the link.

http://cornforthimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Humpback-Whales-Bubble-Feeding-126.jpg

There is a very peaceful walk through a temperate rainforest that Budget Queen mentioned. Part way through, you are again along the waterfront. I remember a bench there and a perfect moment to take in the sheer beauty of it all...and possibly more sea life!

Now to the people of Hoonah. By the way, Icy Strait is the port area/the cannery, and the name of the town is Hoonah. The people of this town have such a great history, and I have found them very friendly and willing to share their stories.

One thing I highly recommend doing an it does have a charge; is the Tribal Dance and Traditions performance...I think that's pretty close to the right name anyway. We went to the program on our 2nd visit and let me just say witnessing the people of Hoonah celebrating who they are as a people to me was a very special experience.

On our third visit we made the decision to stay in Hoonah some time before cruising Southbound. We almost missed our plane because we had an amazing whale watch with one of the local boat captains. Budget Queen also mentioned there are NO taxi's in Hoonah...and thank goodness one of the friendly locals drove us to Hoonah's little airstrip, which by the way, was lined with Eagles...where else could anyone experience that? I have to say the weather was 'iffy' and I sat there hoping we just might have to stay another night...yes, we love this little piece of heaven that much!

I hope I haven't bored you with all my details, however I just want to say a long day in this port will go quickly and I hope you end up not going back to the ship too early! We also have the Beverage package, and I plan to make good use of it, but I'll be staying in this special port as long as possible!

• Like 1

well thank you SEPyle

Finally some good advice.. BUt may I ask how is anyone suppose to get around at all with no cabs in ISP? It would seem to me that you have no choice but to buy a tour.. AGAIN from the cruise line. Yes I know all about the whole Diamonds International thing. I have been to the Caribbean many times. I usually just walk past it.:confused:

Edited by squeeky336

.........Everything to do there that has been mentioned on this thread, is contracted by the cruise lines. It is expensive and there is no competition for business.

Did you even look at any of the companies from AKStafford's reference in post #3?

Here is a direct link:

http://visithoonah.com/tours_charters.html

A number of the vendors listed here have previously been highly recommended by contributors to this forum:

- for example, Glacier Wind, F.I.S.H.E.S., Teckk Outfitters, Misty Bay Lodge.

None of them are contracted by the cruise lines.

They are all competitive, independent operators.

But there is no need to take my word for it.

If you do not believe me, you can easily contact them yourself and ask.

Since you dislike this port so much, why book a cruise that spends so much time there?

Many of us love this port because it is so beautiful, peaceful, uncrowded and is not commercialized with all the usual Caribbean jewelry stores.

But if you prefer to spend your vacation time at the major crowded Alaska ports where 4 or 5 large cruise ships all dock at the same time, it is certainly easy enough to pick a cruise that does not go to Icy Strait Point at all.

tours_charters.html

There is a small FREE Cannery Museum that is very informative, right at the "Icy Strait" dock (it is all Hoonah). The "town", is a mile away, very nice level walk, along the coast. There will be shuttle buses running- they do charge a fee.

well thank you SEPyle

Finally some good advice.. BUt may I ask how is anyone suppose to get around at all with no cabs in ISP? It would seem to me that you have no choice but to buy a tour.. AGAIN from the cruise line. Yes I know all about the whole Diamonds International thing. I have been to the Caribbean many times. I usually just walk past it.:confused:

Like Budget Queen said, there is a shuttle from the Icy Strait dock into town. Last year it was $5 round trip. With that said, unless anyone in your party has mobility issues, it's a very nice walk into town. Reason for no taxi companies: Hoonah is really a small community, and taxi drivers simply would make very little money...yes, Hoonah is that small!!

The reason I designate Icy Strait Point and Hoonah is my way of honoring the local residents. They are very proud of their town!

We will be in Alaska for the second time and the most important thing as we choosed our trip this time, was a stop at Icy strait !! We loved it last time !

We just went from the Dock to Honnah and there we did not stop at the beginning of "town", we walked through the whole town and a little bit further. It is so nice there-just nature, no shops and less tourism.

If you do not walk the whole way you can also take the shuttle - but it is nice to walk along the coast line and we saw a low of whales there....

This time we are looking for bear wachting :)

We also fell in love with ISP. It's a very special place. Beautiful, quiet and exactly what I imagined Alaska would be. The people of Hoonah are SO proud of their town and heritage and so happy to share their stories with you. Unlike other places, where the majority of people you encounter just come to Alaska to work during the summer, in ISP it's all locals, so money spent is directly supporting the people of Hoonah, which is wonderful! Unlike the image people try to give it, we actually found this port to be the most authentic and we were just swept away by the enthusiasm of our local guide on the amazing whale watch we went on and by the beauty of the place. Time just blew by.

There is a short loop trail around the "compound" area, there is a free Cannery Museum. You can walk the mile distance along the waterfront to Hoonah. A few eateries, about it.

That's what we did when we were there a few years ago, the museum and the trail, also some souvenir shopping (got a messenger bag on sale that I'm still using as my purse :) ).

It was an unusually warm day in May (blue skies, sunny and 70+ degrees). So we walked down the path, took our shoes off and sat on some rocks with our feet danging in the water and enjoyed the view of seals and kayaks in the bay.

• Like 1