Please Share What You Did/Did Not Like About Your So. Am. Cruise

mlbcruiser

Yes I know Montevideo and Punta del Este are a some distance apart however the two itineraries I am most interested in both have stops in both of those places. Usually we do a Caribbean cruise of some sort at that time of year and this one would replace that cruise. So it might be nice to wind up with the beach near the end. One of them towards the end of the cruise and the other ship visit early in the cruise. On the other hand, starting a cruise in Buenos Aires has it's pluses, too. We would be there when we are feeling a little more fresh in that we and would each have a whole suitcase of clean clothing! And maybe be a little less tired from having been having too much fun on the ship for two weeks! Again, does anyone have any input on whether they think cruising in one direction is better than going in the other direction? With regard to an around the Horn cruise, that is.

Yes I know Montevideo and Punta del Este are a some distance apart however the two itineraries I am most interested in both have stops in both of those places. Usually we do a Caribbean cruise of some sort at that time of year and this one would replace that cruise. So it might be nice to wind up with the beach near the end. One of them towards the end of the cruise and the other ship visit early in the cruise. On the other hand, starting a cruise in Buenos Aires has it's pluses, too. We would be there when we are feeling a little more fresh in that we and would each have a whole suitcase of clean clothing! And maybe be a little less tired from having been having too much fun on the ship for two weeks! Again, does anyone have any input on whether they think cruising in one direction is better than going in the other direction? With regard to an around the Horn cruise, that is.

We did Around the Horn from BA and our ship arrived in Ushuaia early in the morning and had an entire day there. In my opinion Ushuaia is the most important port of call on that cruise. If you come from Chile, you will likely arrive mid-day and have half a day there.

Also, if you don't fly into Chile, you don't have to pay their fee. I believe you will still owe the fee for Argentina even if you arrive there by ship.

We did Around the Horn from BA and our ship arrived in Ushuaia early in the morning and had an entire day there. In my opinion Ushuaia is the most important port of call on that cruise. If you come from Chile, you will likely arrive mid-day and have half a day there.

Also, if you don't fly into Chile, you don't have to pay their fee. I believe you will still owe the fee for Argentina even if you arrive there by ship.

Chile is now part of the US Visa waiver program. We don't charge their residents to visit the US, they don't charge ours to visit theirs....method of entry no longer matters. No charge, anywhere.

Argentina is the opposite. You enter, you pay the reciprocity fee. Does not matter whether you enter via land, sea or air. Just as their residents pay to visit the US.

Other countries have different arrangements...but residents the the USA pay for Argentina, not for Chile.

One advantage of starting in Argentina is that there are daytime flights from the USA into (but not out of) EZE. SCL is redeyes both ways. The first rule of flying is never take redeyes. The second rule is if you must take a redeye, make sure it is at least 12 hours long and has a flat bed.

Good point! Thanks for the warning. We've done redeyes a few times and managed them ok. Just a necessary evil but good to plan around when we can. I'm so excited for a new adventure that my energy kicks in just the same upon landing!

J-D, I wouldn't have thought Ushaia would be "all that" compared to some of the more northerly ports. Kind of interesting is all. However, is there super scenery around there? ...

Ushuaia is obviously very different from the northern ports along the B.A. to Valpo route, but in our view it is very interesting for different reasons. The scenery is dramatic. The town is at the base of mountains. The abundant wildlife (seal lions, many seabirds) is very easy to see along the Beagle Channel; take one of the 2 or 3 hour catamaran cruises for very close views.

The town itself has interesting small museums. Learning about the history of the area was interesting to us, e.g., the Yamana (indigenous people) and their remarkable ability to live in this difficult environment; the history of European exploration and shipping "around the Horn"; and the history of the disputes with Chile re border issues and with the U.K. re the Falklands / Malvinas. The latter is an especially sensitive matter in Ushuaia. The Argentine Navy cruiser General Belgrano sailed from Ushuaia just a few days before she was torpedoed with great loss of life.

John

Edited by J-D

Ushuaia sounds very interesting to me, too! Thanks for the rundown on that port!

The flights into Santiago do have lousy times! Not just red eyes like in "overnight" flights but red eyes that get in a few HOURS before sunrise!

An Australia/New Zealand cruise is another option we've thought about. However, I kind of lean towards So. Am. for a variety of reasons.

I've visited Australia and New Zealand several times and have travelled extensively in both countries. In my opinion, these are places better explored by land. The repositioning cruises that go there or back via the South Pacific are enjoyable, though: like the South America cruises, they take you to places that are hard to get to any other way.

Thanks for the input but believe me, I "get it" about doing land trips. We've done them in different countries and areas of the world and LOVE them! We have done MANY of them, mostly independent, but 2 tours as well (one to China and one to Morocco). We have sometimes gone back to an area that we first saw via ship. It's better to see SOME of another country than none of it. At least you admit the So. Am. cruise (though there are some others as well) take you to places difficult to get to any other way. Some posters just seem to keep harping on doing land trips when people are asking about cruising. They are different types of trips. We enjoy both kinds and do both kinds. This trip will be a cruise for sure.

Edited by mlbcruiser

• 1 month later...

My husband are considering a 14 night BA to Valparaiso on the NCL Sun in January. I am 32 and he is 36. Will we be the youngest on the ship or should there be a good mix of people around our age?

To be honest-- we've been debating this cruise or a European cruise (neither of which we have done in the past). We have exhausted Caribbean itineraries so we are looking for something new. Any feedback around this is also greatly appreciated!

actresslp, while I can't give you a precise answer, you can be pretty sure you and your dh will be on the lower end of the demographics re: age on most cruises over 7 or 8 days. Especially when school is in session. as opposed to when school is out for summer or the holidays. I wanted the same info. in re: to So. Am. and Australia/NZ cruises and, as expected, it appears there will be more retirement aged pax than younger adults. There may be a few honeymooners or younger adults. Perhaps you can read between the lines of your roll call and figure it out. Esp. if someone mentions ages of their kids or whether or not they are retired, or says they will be on their honeymoon - things like that - you might get some idea. Or you can straight out ask if there are any others near your age on your roll call. Though the majority of the ship's pax will not be on the roll call.

Don't forget to consider is the cruise line itself. For instance, Holland America seems to have the reputation of catering to a bit more "senior" mindset.

Doubt any of this helped much but good luck in whatever you decide.

We haven't yet done a So. Am. "around the horn" cruise YET, but we have done seveval European cruises (at least the E. and W. Med tours). In summer, the European cruises have a better mix of ages. As for which cruise to do, that's tough to recommend because we all have different tastes.

Does anyone know if there is a Naturalist On Board the NCL Sun through the Chilean Fjords like most Cruise lines have on Alaska Itineraries. Also can anyone recommend any DVD's or Tour Books helpful for this Itinerary Valparaiso to BA.

Any Info Appreciated.......................Marian

We did a cruise in Jan from Santiago to Buenos Aires around the horn. The Falklands was my favorite. The other ports were to me almost like being in the interior of Mexico. I did like Santiago. We were not able to stop due to high winds in Usuahia. Very disappointing. We did private excursions in all the ports. Montevideo was also great. Be careful in Buenos Aires as we had a driver due to the fact our ship arrived early and ou flight home did not leave for the U.S. until 11:15 pm. We were entering a very nice restaurant with our driver and before I realized it a young boy appeared behind me as I was opening the door and ripped my Rolex watch from my arm and another boy picked him up on a motor cycle and they were gone. The police came and they said they have been having a lot of problems. It happened before I even new what happened. I learned a lesson. I will never wear good jewelry again. Most of the ports were okay but I was disappointed not because of the robbery but just not like the Med. We are doing the Baltic in Aug . I have read reports about pick pockets in these ports. We have been to many places and never felt unsafe but I am learning to be more aware. Just wanted to let those of you going to SA beware and do not wear expensive jewelry.

Kandy from Texas

kandy, sorry you had to learn the hard way about wearing fine jewelry when you travel. However, these types of things happen in so very many places. Guide books for many cities warn of common tricks (someone spills something on your and helps to wipe it off while someone else is lifting your wallet or camera; someone thrusts a baby into your arms so your arms automatically grab the baby so it isn't dropped; either motorcyclists or even bicyclists grab your purse as they go by; children run up and surround you, picking your pockets; or simple thefts done by one person or with the aid of a buddy). Then there are the plain ol' robberies. These incidents are rarely ever violent. (Reportedly, weapons are used more for muggings in the U.S. than in other places.) We were in Rome 2 yrs. ago, walking across a park near local train station when a guy jogged by an elderly Canadian couple and tried to yank a chain from the woman's neck. He actually didn't get it, but the woman was knocked to the sidewalk and cut her elbow. It was infuriating to see as the guy turned around with a smirk as he ran out of the park, across a st., and to a bunch of pals sitting on the sidewalk. Thing is, it was so blatant with many witnesses! There was a t.v. program (maybe 60 Min.) on t.v. some yrs. back about kids who pick people's pockets or lift jewelry from tourists who ride the London metro. The kids under 12 cannot be charged with such crimes. The police even had video tapes of a particular girl who was well known to them as she was doing these things. But, there was nothing they really could do about it. My cousin's husband was in San Juan on business, staying in a very nice hotel in the Condado area. Someone came up right outside his hotel and took his Rolex. (Thing is, knowing him as I did, I could see how he'd make a perfect target!) Once I saw a guidebook on the U.S. in, I think it was, Italy. The book was in English but geared for Europeans going to the U.S. I saw various warnings about scams, muggings, car thieves, etc. - things to watch out for when visiting.

Kudos to you for not letting your experience color your entire opinion of a place! Live and learn, as they say!