Pick Up Time

3Putt77

My family & I are cruising on the Liberty of the Seas to Bermuda on July 25th. We're scheduled to return at 7AM on July 30th. After that we are planning to spend a couple days in NYC.

The hotel (Doubletree Metropolitan) is sending a car to pick us up and is asking for the timing. What would be reasonable? I'm assuming I can call them with status but they want me to state a time for now. If we disembark earlier than expected is there a restaurant or bar we can wait at?

Thanks!

That's too early unless you self disembark. It's a Thursday morning and there will be traffic into NYC. I'd consider 9-9:30.

Thank you both for the response.

138east, are you saying I should take my time disembarking so I have a quicker trip to the hotel? I wasn't clear. Thanks.

When I came back from Bermuda two weeks ago, self disembarkation was scheduled at 7:30-8:30. The line to self disembark was already long at 7:30 and started moving shortly after that. When I got into the terminal, much if the luggage was already there, but they weren't allowing access to retrieve it because they hadn't yet started to call the numbers.

When the numbers were distributed, I got a very high number(= late time) even though I am D+. If I had not been planning to self disembark, I would have had to have stood in the guest services line to get an earlier luggage number.

So I am suggesting you pick a time - perhaps even 9:30-10 - and plan to be off the ship at least a half hour ahead to allow time to find your luggage and get through customs and immigration. Stop by at guest services on the first sea day to request a specific time.

After 9:30 am the traffic should ease up, but maybe not. You never can tell with NYC. However you improve your chances by not trying to get anywhere until after rush hour.

Makes perfect sense to me. I haven't cruised in over two decades so I couldn't recall if I would be assigned a time when I had to disembark. Sounds like I have the option so I can be conservative with my commitment to the hotel car service and enjoy a couple more hours on the ship.

Makes perfect sense to me. I haven't cruised in over two decades so I couldn't recall if I would be assigned a time when I had to disembark. Sounds like I have the option so I can be conservative with my commitment to the hotel car service and enjoy a couple more hours on the ship.

You will be assigned a time to disembark, but you can be proactive by speaking to Guest Services to ask for a time.

When I disembarked around 8 am, over half the customs hall was already filled with luggage. The areas for the lower numbers appeared to already be full. In the past I have just walked off the ship when my time came rather than wait for my number to be called. Sometimes RCL doesn't manage the disembarkation well - one time I was behind to catch my bus because I was allocated to D+ instead of "bus" and they called the bus numbers first.

My best advice is to be proactive - pay attention to what is happening and ask questions. Don't just follow the herd and sit in a dining room or theater forever wondering what's going on.

You will be assigned a time to disembark, but you can be proactive by speaking to Guest Services to ask for a time.

When I disembarked around 8 am, over half the customs hall was already filled with luggage. The areas for the lower numbers appeared to already be full. In the past I have just walked off the ship when my time came rather than wait for my number to be called. Sometimes RCL doesn't manage the disembarkation well - one time I was behind to catch my bus because I was allocated to D+ instead of "bus" and they called the bus numbers first.

My best advice is to be proactive - pay attention to what is happening and ask questions. Don't just follow the herd and sit in a dining room or theater forever wondering what's going on.

Great advice Carol. Thanks!

My wife is Mrs. Proactive so your strategy fits perfectly. Question: Are we assigned a disembarking time prior to the cruise or during the cruise? If I can start influencing it now I will.

As far as I know during the cruise. However there is a section in the Set Sail Pass where you can identify your disembarkation plans. I don't know exactly what they do with it, but it is there.

Later is probably better. This will give you some time to get off the ship, collect your bags, etc. There were lots of taxis and town cars at the taxi stand which is what we opted to do so we wouldn't have to search for a pre-arranged driver. Unless the transfer to your hotel is free check both prices and then decide.

Later is probably better. This will give you some time to get off the ship, collect your bags, etc. There were lots of taxis and town cars at the taxi stand which is what we opted to do so we wouldn't have to search for a pre-arranged driver. Unless the transfer to your hotel is free check both prices and then decide.

I went with 9:30AM. Hopefully that will give me a buffer. Also got a phone number for the driver so I'll give a heads up if needed. Thanks!