Boston Black Falcon question

Floridanamaw

We are cruising from Quebec to Boston in September on the Dawn and was wondering if the Black Hawk is the terminal we will be docked at. I am trying to arrange for a rental car and I want a agency close the the terminal. Thanks

Yes, it is the terminal but it is Black Falcon. You had it right in the title but picked a different bird of prey in the post!

Edited by pizzalady1

What car company are you looking at? Enterprise in South Boston is closet to the terminal, but National and Alamo have pick up points on Atlantic Ave. if course the airport also has all the major agencies. Where are you drving to?

I found an Enterprise car agency on Summer Street which isn't far from Black Falcon. The plan is to pick up a rental car when we dock Friday morning and then find a pick up stop for the trolly and spend several hours sight seeing Boston. If I'm not mistaken there is a parking lot for the trolly close to or at the Black Falcon dock that is open on port days. At the end of the day we will be driving over to Epping NH. I'm trying to figure out all the logistics.

Ok so basically you are going to rent a car and pay to park it with your luggage in it rather than pay for luggage storage. Interesting plan.

I'd be looking at the Atlantic Ave locations for Alamo and National. If they don't suit, post back with your other options.

Take a cab to Atlantic Ave, rent the car, and pay to park it right there by the Aquarium. This is basically the east side of Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, which is a major starting point for the Hoho trolley. Ride the trolley and try to get out of town by 2-3 pm. I93 North is very accessible from this area of Boston. If you don't get on the road early, you will get caught in the rush hour traffic.

There trolley loop that comes down to the Seaport area, but it's not the main loop and it can be time consuming and not so interesting. IMO you will waste a lot of time messing around with renting a car in South Boston, parking it there, and riding the trolley to Faneuil Hall to get on the main trolley loop and then reversing the process at the end to get back to your car.

Thanks for that information. I'll check into the Atlantic Ave area for car rental. Enterprise seemed to be quite a bit cheaper than the other agencies was one reason I picked that one. I'll keep checking around though.

If we only have, say 4 hours to tour Boston, is using the trolly still the best way to do it? We don't want to drive ourselves around not really being familiar with the area. I had rather leave the driving to somebody else.

If the price for a Enterprise works for you, I'd do that. But I'd spend some if that savings and park up by the Aquarium so you have easy access to both the main hoho trolley route and to I93 north when you are ready to leave the city.

We used the HOHO trolley last year. It is a good way to see Boston but, if you are planning on getting off to see anything, you will not have enough time in just 4 hours. We were on and off the trolley for about 7 hours and only stopped at three places to explore. Our last place was the Boston Tea Party Re-enactment. It was great fun but we had to leave before the entire tour was over in order to catch the trolley back to the pier in time for the ship to sail. It was a fun ride though and the drivers are really good with their facts.

With 4 hours in Boston, I would park at the Quincy Market garage, and then tour the Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area and the North End (Old North Church, Paul Revere's house). The Freedom Trail in this area can take all that time alone. My personal preference would be to drive to Charlestown and park at the Navy Yard, do the Navy Yard and Constitution tours, and then Bunker Hill. Some real fine eateries in Charlestown as well, and then access to I-93.

I ended up using a car rental place at Government Center. I haven't decided where we really want to go see for the 4 or 5 hours we will have. I really would like to do some of the Freedom Trail if not all of it. I'm not sure if the trolly is worth it or just driving to a starting point and try to park around there. I'm trying to find a good map of the area. There is so many things there to see and we just don't have that much time.

I ended up using a car rental place at Government Center. I haven't decided where we really want to go see for the 4 or 5 hours we will have. I really would like to do some of the Freedom Trail if not all of it. I'm not sure if the trolly is worth it or just driving to a starting point and try to park around there. I'm trying to find a good map of the area. There is so many things there to see and we just don't have that much time.

I'm seeing Avis and Budget at what would be described as "government center" and Enterprise on the edge of "government center". This is one of the oldest areas of Boston with narrow irregular one way streets and virtually no street parking. You will be extremely frustrated trying to drive around and park. I'd have a chat with the car rental folks to see if you can put your luggage in the car and pay them to park for a few hours. If they won't do that, then ask them for parking suggestions.

However, this area is in the heart of the Freedom Trail, so it's a good starting point. Remember - there is nothing historically sacred about the Freedom Trail itself (unlike the Battle Road between Lexington and Concord). It is really just an organized walking route through Boston that makes sure you don't miss any of the historic places that are squirreled in between the more modern buildings. https://www.thefreedomtrail.org/pdfs/boston-nps-map.pdf

I will ask the car rental (Enterprise) about parking there. I ended up using them because they were a LOT less expensive than some of the other locations and I honestly just don't know the area enough to know where anything is. Boston has become my one place that I'm having trouble figuring things out! So much to do and so little time before we have to leave and drive to NH. Thanks for map link. I can't get it to work but I think I'm having computer issues that is keeping me from opening links. I'll have to investigate that! Thanks for all your replies here. Lots of good info to remember.

I will ask the car rental (Enterprise) about parking there. I ended up using them because they were a LOT less expensive than some of the other locations and I honestly just don't know the area enough to know where anything is. Boston has become my one place that I'm having trouble figuring things out! So much to do and so little time before we have to leave and drive to NH. Thanks for map link. I can't get it to work but I think I'm having computer issues that is keeping me from opening links. I'll have to investigate that! Thanks for all your replies here. Lots of good info to remember.

Enterprise is actually in a good location to get onto I93 north. You can walk right down Congress Street to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market passing through the Holocaust Memorial on your way. From there you can walk the Freedom Trail in reverse toward Boston Common or you can walk through the North End.

Update. We have decided to stay in Boston Friday night instead of leaving for NH that afternoon. I booked the Boston Park Plaza on Park Plaza at Arlington Street. It's close to the beginning of the Freedom Trail and we can spend all day exploring and not have to hurry up. The hotel is close to our car rental place on Congress Street. I'm hoping to pick the car up and then go on the the hotel and park there until check in time. It's not the cheapest hotel but it's not the most expensive and it seems convenient for us.

Update. We have decided to stay in Boston Friday night instead of leaving for NH that afternoon. I booked the Boston Park Plaza on Park Plaza at Arlington Street. It's close to the beginning of the Freedom Trail and we can spend all day exploring and not have to hurry up. The hotel is close to our car rental place on Congress Street. I'm hoping to pick the car up and then go on the the hotel and park there until check in time. It's not the cheapest hotel but it's not the most expensive and it seems convenient for us.

What are you paying for the Park Plaza? Is it cancellable? Why are you renting a car in Boston before you actually need it? It will cost you $50 to park a car that you can't use until the next day. Hotels will store your luggage if you are checking in.

If the Park Plaza is cancellable, there are some good deals for Back Bay and Theater District hotels for 9/18 on Hotwire. These hotels are 4-5* hotels and will be nicer than the 3.5* Park Plaza.

Our family actually has experience Hotwiring Boston hotels. I have gotten the Park Plaza several times for DH to stay in town due to snow. He says it's ok, but nothing special. Last winter it was under construction. I personally got the 4* Sheraton during another snow event when I got stranded in Boston coming back from a Quantum cruise. I really liked the hotel and its access to the Prudential shops and eateries.

I changed our car rental to a Saturday pickup instead of Friday. That saved 120.00. The hotel can be cancelled up until the 24th of September. When I did my search there were very few hotels available for the weekend I needed, the 24th of September. That is one reason I ended up with Park Plaza. And it was close to the beginning of the Freedom a Trail. I'm not going to cancel yet but I will keep looking over the next few weeks. As of now I have all the details worked out and taken care of. I can sit back and not worry about anything until our cruise. Thank you to everyone that has given me suggestions. I'm looking forward to our cruise and to visiting Boston at the end of it.

So you need a hotel room for Sep 25? On Hotwire I'm seeing a Back Bay 4* hotel for $174 ($221+ with taxes and fees) with a 95% approval. I'm seeing the Park Plaza for at least $350. If it were me, I'd be staying in Back Bay for that price difference.

The Park Plaza is two blocks south of the southwest corner of the Public Garden. The Freedom Trail starts in the northeast corner of the Boston Common. It's about a 10-12 block walk from the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

also check groupon as sometimes they have had some good deals.

Check where you would like to sight see and try to locate yourself close by.

There are some hotels near Quincy mkt(probably very expensive), not sure how much the Park Plaza is(Old Hotel)costs but near the Public Gardens and Boston Commons, a little walk to Charles St. and the State House. If you are not afraid to take the T, you can get around pretty easily. Note that the USS Constitution is in dry dock and being repaired. You can visit it but only see the top deck http://www.navy.mil/local/constitution/visitors.asp

The Sheraton Boston is not too far from the Museum of Fine Arts.

Another old hotel that often has better prices is the Parker House very close to Quincy Mkt, faneuil hall, govt, center(not that much there). Also note if using the subway--govt center station is closed for repair. I wold not park at any of these hotels as the price would be high. get your rental car when you need it.

Boston's streets are not laid out in a grid but rather as old cow paths so if you are not familiar with the layout you might have a little trouble navigating the streets and would do better walking, taking the T, taking a taxi or uber.

I like walking around Beacon Hill(check out Louisburg Sq. John Kerry has a house there) and walking on the esplanade(along Charles River). But with only a short visit you might not choose these activities.

I would not go to Lexington and Concord unless they are on your way. TAkes time to get there and when you are there it is not that exciting. I would think, the Freedom Trail, Boston Commons(right there), any of the museums that might interest you, Quincy Mkt, Fanueil Hall, The North End(Italian area),

even walking near the harbor would be good. I like the USS Constitution but not sure how it is in dry dock. Charlestown is a little out of the way, but not that far. I also like Cambridge, especially Harvard Sq. and Harvard Yard.

The T goes right there. If you are a baseball fan either going to a red sox game or if taking a tour on non game days. There are lots of things to do in Boston check out the tour books and see what interests you the most. You might also want to see if there are any sights to see on your way to NH.

I am from the Boston area and frequent there and Cambridge and am familiar with the towns around there, especially north of boston. Happy to answer any questions.

We won't have a rental car until the morning we leave Boston so no worry about parking. I haven't changed hotels and I'm not sure I will. Reviews for Boston Park Place are varied from great to aweful. We only need one night so not to concerned about that. If it was for longer I would seriously think about changing. Location seems good for us. Close to beginning of Freedom Trail and close to car rental place. I'll let ya'll know after we get back how the hotel is. Thanks got all the info.