What Tokyo neighbourhood?

calliopecruiser

I'm looking towards spending 3 or 4 days in Tokyo before a cruise, and I'm looking for suggestions of which neighbourhood to stay in -- I've heard recommendations for Shibuya or Roppongi, which I hear is a good place for art and museums (rather than the seedy nightclub area it used to be). I know the metro and trains could get me anywhere, but I'm wondering where to base myself and lay me down to sleep.

I am interested in seeing things that are culturally typically Tokyo, or culturally old Tokyo/Japan - so the pop culture of Shibuya and the classic culture of art and history museums interest me. I've been to Tokyo before, but that was over 25 years ago, so it was a different place then. I will have the option to fly in to Haneda or Narita, and we cruise out of Tokyo itself, not Yokohama.

Shinjuku would be right in the middle of things. We stayed at the Hilton there and it was very convenient to get to places. We have also stayed at the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay, which is also very nice but not where the actions are but trains and metro are easy enough to get to. A couple of gardens nearby and also near Tokyo Tower.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking towards spending 3 or 4 days in Tokyo before a cruise, and I'm looking for suggestions of which neighbourhood to stay in -- I've heard recommendations for Shibuya or Roppongi, which I hear is a good place for art and museums (rather than the seedy nightclub area it used to be). I know the metro and trains could get me anywhere, but I'm wondering where to base myself and lay me down to sleep.

I am interested in seeing things that are culturally typically Tokyo, or culturally old Tokyo/Japan - so the pop culture of Shibuya and the classic culture of art and history museums interest me. I've been to Tokyo before, but that was over 25 years ago, so it was a different place then. I will have the option to fly in to Haneda or Narita, and we cruise out of Tokyo itself, not Yokohama.

I agree with ROCruiser that Shinjuku is a good choice; for transportation options, hotels, shopping and restaurants. Walking around at night amidst the crowds and neon will give you a feel for real Tokyo life.

Normally, I would recommend Shibuya, even above Shinjuku. However, there are massive reconstruction projects scheduled. Already, the east wing of Toyoko department store (built over the station) has been demolished and corridors on that side of the station are boarded up and set for demolition. A 46 story building will go up on the site as part of the new station complex.

On the west side of the station, one city block will be razed and "reconstructed" If you want more information, you can google "shibuya, new construction." I think the Japan Times article was the clearest.

As to Roppongi, it is true that Roppongi Hills (where the Mori Art Museum is located) and Tokyo Midtown have added something to the outlying areas of the district. I am not sure what kind of reports you have been hearing, but to me the heart of Roppongi (the intersection and the strip) are seedier than ever. When the famous jazz clubs starting pulling out and relocating 15 years ago, their sophisticated clientele went with them and the area has been on a downhill slide since then.

From Roppongi, the Oedo line will get you to Shinjuku directly and the Hibiya line will get you close to Ginza, but otherwise I personally don't find either line very convenient for getting around.

You mentioned that your ship will be in Tokyo. If she is at the Harumi Pier, the Ginza/Higashi-Ginza/Hibiya area might be something to look into.

As to airports, I prefer Narita as the airport limousine buses run more frequently.

However, if your flight arrives at Haneda at a reasonable time, you will have several transportation options. If it arrives very late at night at Haneda (as is the case with some foreign carriers), you will have to take a taxi. As there is a 20% surcharge on taxi fares between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., it can really add up. (My last experience with this was when I picked someone up at Haneda 2 years ago. At midnight, the taxi fare between Haneda and Shibuya was about $130.)

As you are interested in classic culture and history, I would strongly recommend a visit to the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which traces the history of Tokyo and spotlights traditional Edo (Tokyo) culture.

Sorry to run on so long. I hope you are enjoying your planning......

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in Shinagawa, found it very central and easy to get anywhere we wanted to go.

We hated Shinjuku station with a passion, with 200 exits and crowds day and night it was my version of Hell.

For Pop Culture try Harijuku Street, we also enjoyed the walk from there back to Shibuya despite the pouring rain. Akihabara is Pop Culture Central and worth a visit.

You will love Japan!