Coki or Magens Bay?

LuCruise

Getting ideas for our day in St Thomas. We're coming in April with our kids 10.5 and 6.5 years. I was looking at Coki beach (with maybe Coral World if we get restless) , but then someone I know said they went to Magens Bay and it's gorgeous beach.

Thoughts of which one? Do both have calm water and soft sand? Facilities good at both (e.g. restaurants, restrooms, any rentals) Which is closer to port?

And I assume you don't need an excursion for either.

Edited by LuCruise

Getting ideas for our day in St Thomas. We're coming in April with our kids 10.5 and 6.5 years. I was looking at Coki beach (with maybe Coral World if we get restless) , but then someone I know said they went to Magens Bay and it's gorgeous beach.

Thoughts of which one? Do both have calm water and soft sand? Facilities good at both (e.g. restaurants, restrooms, any rentals) Which is closer to port?

And I assume you don't need an excursion for either.

You will dock at Crown Bay and you can easily go to and from any of the popular beaches on your own by taxi. Coki is a smaller bay and is generally crowded. There are several vendors selling food and drink and offering rentals. Coral World is also there as you noted and there is snorkeling. Magens is a longer bay and the main area also gets crowded, there is a place to get food and drinks, no snorkeling but a very calm bay.

Other beaches are equally beautiful like Sapphire which is home to condo properties and offers snorkeling and abundant natural shade, Lindqvist which has very limited amenities, and Secret Harbor which is also home to a condo resort and offers snorkeling.

Taxi to the East End beaches (Coki, Lindqvist, Sapphire, Secret Harbor) is about $12pp each way, Magens probably less. All of these beaches are gorgeous.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Edited by blue_water
Attach map link

You will dock at Crown Bay and you can easily go to and from any of the popular beaches on your own by taxi. Coki is a smaller bay and is generally crowded. There are several vendors selling food and drink and offering rentals. Coral World is also there as you noted and there is snorkeling. Magens is a longer bay and the main area also gets crowded, there is a place to get food and drinks, no snorkeling but a very calm bay.

Other beaches are equally beautiful like Sapphire which is home to condo properties and offers snorkeling and abundant natural shade, Lindqvist which has very limited amenities, and Secret Harbor which is also home to a condo resort and offers snorkeling.

Taxi to the East End beaches (Coki, Lindqvist, Sapphire, Secret Harbor) is about $12pp each way, Magens probably less. All of these beaches are gorgeous.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Thank you for the comments and the map. We haven't taken many beach holidays so not necessarily looking for snorkling and the fish may scare my little one. But a pretty, calm beach wtih soft sand and facilities is good (washroom, restaurants, etc). I suppose Coki is good since we have Coral World near by if we have had enough sun. Sounds like Coki may be a bit more crowded? Sapphire sounds nice too with shade.

Yikes...pretty costly for a taxi when you have 4 and need to go there and back.

If you're not interested in snorkeling Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach is a good option - nice beach and calm. Not as drop dead gorgeous as the other beaches but still very nice and you'd be happy there.The Best Western rents lounge chairs and they have a beach restaurant and beach bar and nice restrooms. More a hotel experience than any of the other beaches.

If you're not interested in snorkeling Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach is a good option - nice beach and calm. Not as drop dead gorgeous as the other beaches but still very nice and you'd be happy there.The Best Western rents lounge chairs and they have a beach restaurant and beach bar and nice restrooms. More a hotel experience than any of the other beaches.

Correct...not into snorkeling . Our "requirements" are pretty beach, soft sand, not rough waters, restrooms and restaurant around.

Having been to both Magen's and Coki Beach, I would recommend Magen's for your family. It is a much larger beach, generally calmer with plenty of shade. It is also very gradual, with no big drop offs. They have facilities on site. Coki does have excellent snorkeling, maybe a little less family friendly. Whatever you choose , hope you have a great day in St Thomas.

Having been to both Magen's and Coki Beach, I would recommend Magen's for your family. It is a much larger beach, generally calmer with plenty of shade. It is also very gradual, with no big drop offs. They have facilities on site. Coki does have excellent snorkeling, maybe a little less family friendly. Whatever you choose , hope you have a great day in St Thomas.

Thanks. I will look closer into Magens. Sounds like the beach would be better for us. The advantage of Coki is having Coral World near by if we've had enough beach. Anything else nearby Magens beach?

Magens is a good choice for a family with toddlers due to the calm water. Pretty beach but crowded where you will want to be and there is nothing near Magens. Coki can also have a lively vibe because it's a smaller bay. But if considering splitting your time between CW and beach time Coki wins because there is nothing near Magens. Coki also happens to be a gorgeous beach and is generally calm.

Sapphire would be our top recommendation for a gorgeous beach that is generally calm with lots of natural shade, rentals and other amenities you want. But if dead calm water is your main priority it's Magens, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach and the Best Western), or Secret Harbor.

Edited by blue_water

Magens is a good choice for a family with toddlers due to the calm water. Pretty beach but crowded where you will want to be and there is nothing near Magens. Coki can also have a lively vibe because it's a smaller bay. But if considering splitting your time between CW and beach time Coki wins because there is nothing near Magens. Coki also happens to be a gorgeous beach and is generally calm.

Sapphire would be our top recommendation for a gorgeous beach that is generally calm with lots of natural shade, rentals and other amenities you want. But if dead calm water is your main priority it's Magens, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach and the Best Western), or Secret Harbor.

I'm just going over some notes that I've taken from various sources and doesn't Sapphire beach have rougher waves?

I'm just going over some notes that I've taken from various sources and doesn't Sapphire beach have rougher waves?

Yes Sapphire can be rougher when there's a sea swell and/or high winds. We've seen it a little rough once when we stayed there, the only real problem was with snorkeling close to shore and the sand being riled up. Other times we've stayed there it's been very calm.

If calm water is your main concern Magens and Secret Harbor would be your best bet, and Lindbergh would probably also be a good choice. Of those 3 we'd choose Lindbergh for the space and amenities...

Hope that doesn't make it harder to decide!

Edited by blue_water

Magen's Beach ! Just walk away from the snack bar and the crowd thins out. Full facility family beach.

The east end has shade and tables and is still crowded but you can head to the west end to get away from the main crowd. But the "full facilities" are where the crowd is, similar to CGB on Tortola if you've been there. But for calm water Magens is king:)

Magens is indeed gorgeous from Drake's Seat, Mountain Top, and other vantage points.

Edited by blue_water
typo

Magen's Beach ! Just walk away from the snack bar and the crowd thins out. Full facility family beach with beautiful views along the way to the beach. Have your camera ready.

Thanks. I've heard the beach is beautiful. Will definitely bring a camera. At the moment I'm leaning towards Coki, since we have the flexibility of Coral World. But Magen's Bay is a close second. We don't mind light waves as we just went to an indoor waterpark on the weekend and our kids loved the wave pool (but I've picked up a life vest for my younger one). I guess the biggest concern wtih Coki is if its too crowded. It looks like there are 2 ships in that day (ours and a Carnival), so hopefully not too bad?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I've heard the beach is beautiful. Will definitely bring a camera. At the moment I'm leaning towards Coki, since we have the flexibility of Coral World. But Magen's Bay is a close second. We don't mind light waves as we just went to an indoor waterpark on the weekend and our kids loved the wave pool (but I've picked up a life vest for my younger one). I guess the biggest concern wtih Coki is if its too crowded. It looks like there are 2 ships in that day (ours and a Carnival), so hopefully not too bad?

Coki and Magens will most likely be busy that day. We've driven to Magens while staying at Sapphire thinking it might be nice with just 1 smaller ship in port and it was still crowded because it's touted so much. Coki may not be too bad as long as you aren't looking for a quieter vibe, and Coral World is a definite plus. Sapphire rents lounges, kayaks, snorkel great, floats, etc and is the one beach with both abundant natural shade and good snorkeling and a quieter vibe. And the water and island views are much nicer from Sapphire.

Edited by blue_water