Are there tour vendors at Hawaiian ports?

Unknotted

All of our cruises have been to "foreign" ports and there are always tour vendors hanging around all the piers we've been to. We have had some great tours using these guys.

Can we expect to see private tour vendors at the Hawaiian ports?

Yes there is . Usually there is an store front that represents the tour operator. They make the bookings for you. Many ports in Hawaii are working ports , that don't allow people to hang around to sell tours on the pier.

This is also starting in Alaska as well.

Yes there are, I was on the Carnival Legend 9/15-9/25 Vancouver to Hawaii, and they were at all the ports. They even have a Walmart bus that is a free shuttle to the store and back, I thought that was great if you needed anything. Have a great time, we loved it.

All of our cruises have been to "foreign" ports and there are always tour vendors hanging around all the piers we've been to. We have had some great tours using these guys.

Can we expect to see private tour vendors at the Hawaiian ports?

Not to argue with any of these fine folks, but if there were any tour vendors taking reservations inside the ports, I never saw them. Some ports you needed to walk to the port gate to pick up your independently booked tour shuttle as they were not allowed to enter, and for the few that were allowed in some ports, it was only to pick up booked passengers.

Maybe there was a single desk for a tour consolidator and I missed it? A shuttle bus to Costco or a nearby mall is not a tour. It is nothing like the Caribbean where you are greeted by many vendors, all vying for a booking.

In Hawaii, most people book rentals cars. The shuttles do run from inside the port if you have pre reserved. Most of Hawaii is drive up and there is not a lot you need a tour for. The car provides much more flexibility and allows you to see a ton more for a fraction of the cost of tours. If you do not want to drive, then some research for options and a pre booked tour either through the ship or an independent tour provider highly recommended.

Quite often tours are sold in the Hawaii Tourism office.

You have stumped us on this, as we don't recall a "Hawaii Tourism office" here on Maui. There is the Maui Visitor's Bureau, but we don't believe they sell tours. Can you hopefully jog our memory and tell us where the Tourism office is located? Mahalo!

Thank you for the assorted answers. We have a few tours booked during our upcomping cruise, but we always save a couple of ports that we can find things to do on a whim. Some of our best tour guides were near the ports and offered us nice tours at decent prices.

Thanks again

Thank you for the assorted answers. We have a few tours booked during our upcomping cruise, but we always save a couple of ports that we can find things to do on a whim. Some of our best tour guides were near the ports and offered us nice tours at decent prices.

Thanks again

Driving on Maui, Kauai and the Big Island is easy and rental cars are inexpensive - I'd recommend opting for a car rental in the ports that you don't have tours book (many people do this on their port days), but would do the rental car booking in advance and have your itinerary worked out before arriving.

Aloha Unknotted -

Hope you have considered taking a whale watch cruise while you are here on Maui. You are coming at the perfect time of year for that. You can sail from Maalaea harbor, which isn't all that far from your ship.

We have rented a car for Maui, so finding Maalaea harbor shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Susan-M We have rented cars for Oahu (post-cruise) and for Maui. I suppose we could go ahead and rent on the others too, but we were hoping we could just kick back and let someone drive us around :)

There has just been a post on the Holland America forum from Arzz who hooked up with a tour operator in Hilo with a couple from Princess. They were just walking into town and were approached. They really enjoyed their day and she is willing to share the info, you might take a look. cherie

We have rented a car for Maui, so finding Maalaea harbor shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the tip.

Susan-M We have rented cars for Oahu (post-cruise) and for Maui. I suppose we could go ahead and rent on the others too, but we were hoping we could just kick back and let someone drive us around :)

Not sure if your ship overnights in Maui and Kauai as does the POA? If so, this is another thing in favor of rental cars on those islands. A car lets you be off on your own til very late, have dinner ashore, vs a 6 hour tour. Although, you did not mention Kauai at all, so maybe no overnights and you skip Kauai?

In any case, if you are wanting someone else to do the driving, at least some of the time, you might check out Mary Lou's Big Island Tours here and on Trip Advisor for a tour in Hilo and/or Kona. There is another thread here about their tours currently. They are family operators, Mary Lou, Ken and son Kyle. They offer a small group tour in each of the 2 ports, 6 people or less in each of 3 vehicles, somewhat customizable and it's a full day. Very highly rated, like touring with family. In Hilo, they are the only tour I am aware of who had permission to pick up inside the port area other than those who were "ship" tours.

Not sure if your ship overnights in Maui and Kauai as does the POA? If so, this is another thing in favor of rental cars on those islands. A car lets you be off on your own til very late, have dinner ashore, vs a 6 hour tour. Although, you did not mention Kauai at all, so maybe no overnights and you skip Kauai?

In any case, if you are wanting someone else to do the driving, at least some of the time, you might check out Mary Lou's Big Island Tours here and on Trip Advisor for a tour in Hilo and/or Kona. There is another thread here about their tours currently. They are family operators, Mary Lou, Ken and son Kyle. They offer a small group tour in each of the 2 ports, 6 people or less in each of 3 vehicles, somewhat customizable and it's a full day. Very highly rated, like touring with family. In Hilo, they are the only tour I am aware of who had permission to pick up inside the port area other than those who were "ship" tours.

We will be on the POA and will be overnighting in Kauai, but we already have plans figured out for those days. Actually, since I first posted this we have taken care of everything but Kona now. Clay thinks we should take it easy that day because we aren't young any more and have packed an awful lot in this vacation so far.

Thanks for all the ideas!

• 2 weeks later...

At Kailua Pier (Kona) you will see some private tour guides just outside the pier holding up signs. You can also just walk directly into the Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel to book parasailing with UFO or dive adventures with the operators who have offices inside the hotel. Or you can make a right coming out of the pier and walk down Ali'i Drive and you'll see the offices and/or kiosks for the Atlantis Submarine tours, Body Glove snorkel cruise, etc. Same-day bookings can be iffy, since you're competing with the resort and vacation rental crowds. But, you can also have a very nice time shopping along Ali'i Drive in the heart of historic Kailua town. It's all completely walkable with lots of oceanfront open air dining, and fairly level for families with wheelchairs, strollers, etc.

At Kailua Pier (Kona) you will see some private tour guides just outside the pier holding up signs. You can also just walk directly into the Courtyard Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel to book parasailing with UFO or dive adventures with the operators who have offices inside the hotel. Or you can make a right coming out of the pier and walk down Ali'i Drive and you'll see the offices and/or kiosks for the Atlantis Submarine tours, Body Glove snorkel cruise, etc. Same-day bookings can be iffy, since you're competing with the resort and vacation rental crowds. But, you can also have a very nice time shopping along Ali'i Drive in the heart of historic Kailua town. It's all completely walkable with lots of oceanfront open air dining, and fairly level for families with wheelchairs, strollers, etc.

Good information, thanks.