Arctic circle flights from Fairbanks

HazeGray

The best ones are either a trip to Barrow (for a long day or overnight) or a fly-drive package to Deadhorse where you fly one way then drive the other. This fly-drive is usually a very long day, starting about 5am and returning about midnight. Some would say Barrow is not a day trip, but I did it a couple of years ago as a day trip and if you plan well in advance you can fit a lot in. I was on the ground about 12 hours. I don't think that schedule is currently available for next summer though.

There are others like to Ft. Yukon or Coldfoot/Wiseman which are also good, but definitely not as good as the others.

Has anyone taken a small plane flight from Fairbanks up past the Arctic Circle? Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on which service, most of the day trip flights run around $400 per person. Those that go to Anaktuvuk Pass (very scenic) are closer to $800.

By comparison, you can fly on an Alaska Airlines jet from Anchorage to Kotzebue, an Eskimo community above the arctic circle and on the Arctic Ocean, for around $330 round trip. Stay the night (won't get dark, maybe 24 hour sun depending on the date) at the Nullaġvik Hotel for about the same price as a hotel in Anchorage or Fairbanks, stick a toe in the Arctic Ocean, visit the native heritage center or maybe an Inupiat fish camp, and actually experience a bush community, rather than looking down at an imaginary line on a map. You'll come back with a better feel for Alaska than 90% of visitors can achieve.

I flown past the Arctic Circle several times.

I do find the day trips of fly one way, shuttle the other on the Dalton, an excellent tour.

Ft. Yukon is "ok", Barrow is at least an overnights- I spent 4 days there, I've gone to Deadhorse twice- great opportunity with the road trip combos.

I do have to say, for scenery, nothing has beats the beauty of Anaktuvuk Pass for me. :) I've done that several times, including winter trips, going over herds of caribou. :)

Don't know how long you have but another option is to rent a car in Fairbanks and drive the haul road as far north as you have time for. There are at least 2 places where you spend overnight.

In response to those who will say that the road is horrible, dusty, rutted, overrun with huge trucks etc - I did rent but I could have done it in my Honda Accord. We saw people doing it in motor homes.

It will be a great experience if you do it this way. Now, if you want to get to a place like Nome. Barrow or one of the other small native villages, you do have to fly as there are no roads leading to them.

DON