Help with Copper River

Pushka

This stop is proving difficult to sort out. Suspect because its late May. Staying 2 nights at the Princess Lodge so a full day to plan. Would love to have done a fishing trip but these excursions have always said 'sold out' from the first day of release. I suspect they were never released as I was online the day before and the day after the excursions became bookable.

Glacier hike - sold out. Two river float trips - sold out. There is a kayak trip but the two hour drive there and back is exactly the same trip we will do next day (to Valdez). There is a Prince William Sound trip but again the drive to Valdez and we also do the same boat trip the next day to get to the ship. I am not interested in the Husky demo as we plan to do similar on a shore excursion. There are 2 ATV trips but we are doing one in Denali National Park.

So - I would love some input and knowledge about 'local' providers - fishing particularly. I expect we might just have to don the boots and just hike around. Still special but would really love to fish!

Are you on a cruisetour? We are DIY and spending night at Copper River, then driving to Chitina and taking the McCarthy and Kennicott road tour which we booked directly. Our group didn't want to do the air package but I wouldn't be surprised if someone changes their mind. We've toured Alaska before but this is our first time in this area.

Libtrek

There are 2 ATV trips but we are doing one in Denali National Park.

Just so you know... There are no ATV trips into Denali National Park. Your ATV trip will be just outside the park itself. Still a great trip.

Fishing. There's several charter outfits in the Copper Center area. Like this: http://www.riverwrangellers.com/day-fishing-trips

Just so you know... There are no ATV trips into Denali National Park. Your ATV trip will be just outside the park itself. Still a great trip.

Fishing. There's several charter outfits in the Copper Center area. Like this: http://www.riverwrangellers.com/day-fishing-trips

Yes - makes sense re Denali National Park and ATV's.

Thankyou for the link - will follow that up. :p

The is a place that is a disadvantage without a car. The highlight in my opinion, is Kennicott/McCarthy. Impressive history and nonstop scenery. I recommend flying one direction.

For fishing, look for a vendor, and see what can be arranged. You might, however be too early. http://www.coppervalleychamber.com/fish-wildlife

Yes Budget Queen. I think too early. Probably by just 1 day. Sea Hag - how long is that bus to Wrangal? We are on the bus for 10 hours the day before so not too keen on too much more.

I'll question, why you picked this particular itinerary with, this transit time- (which I'm assuming was known) and what about this location, you chose to this to begin with? What is it you thought you would like to see and do?

I would suggest you contact some vendors and verify what you can or not do re fishing.

It worked for me in that it has 2 nights at Denali National Park; includes the boat ferry across from Valdez, and the afternoon at Talkeetna to take a glacier landing flight with TAT. I didnt want to go to Fairbanks, - going there seemed to impact on some of the other places you go to, and I wanted to be on a ship on my birthday and not about to disembark/embark the day before or day after (too much confusion). I didnt want the Connoisseur trip - way too organised. Also didnt want either myself or partner to drive. And wanted to experience the domed train. I did a lot of research and booked and cancelled a few times. One must for me was Glacier Bay. As it turned out, that is where we will be for my birthday! Perfect.

So really of the 13 days this tour involves, this is the only day where I dont seem to have much organised. But maybe sometimes a walk in the park suffices. I can live with that. :p. I just haven't found much info on Copper River lodge but apparently once you get there it is easy to book tours.

I kept looking at other tours (really didn't want to DIY as this time, no driving on our agenda) and of all of them this worked really well.

Edited by Pushka

Sea Hag - how long is that bus to Wrangal? We are on the bus for 10 hours the day before so not too keen on too much more.

I don't remember exactly, but it wasn't long. Maybe under 1/2 hour? Is your 10 hours on a bus the trip down the Denali Highway from Denali to Copper River? If so, that's a wonderful trip. We enjoyed every bit of it. Gorgeous scenery. A stop to watch a mama moose and her baby. Berry pie for lunch. Actually, chili and fresh baked bread followed by berry pie. I think you shouldn't think of the 10 hours on a bus as a burden, if it's from Denali to Copper River, as I think it must be. It's an incredible experience. We went the other direction, and the trip up from Valdez was much shorter than that.

Yes - thats the bus trip - from Denali to Copper River. Thankyou for the info - a couple of reviews I've read have said it was very difficult but it sounds like it will be much better than that. Great to hear.

If your trip from Denali is half as good as ours was, you're going to love it! :)

A thing I forgot to mention is that we walked from the lodge down to Old Town Copper Center, which is a historical area with lots to see. That's where we picked up the shuttle bus over to Wrangell St. Elias visitor center. If you do a Google Map on it, it shows less than 20 minutes without traffic.

Copper River is a wonderful place. You can take a shuttle from the lodge into the small town and to the visitor center of the park for a small fee. It runs a loop. The lodge will give you a copy of the bus schedule at the front desk. We hiked in the park. This was the one place we encountered many mosquitoes. Be prepared. We also went rafting with River Wrangellers. Someone gave you the link above. Great fun! The guide told us they offer fishing trips. My husband is very interested in returning to fish with them. They pick up and drop off at the lodge. You can see the river from the lodge. The drive from Denali is long, but the views along the way are worth it. Out of our three weeks in Alaska, I thought Copper River was the most beautiful place we visited. People were purchasing tours at the front desk when they arrived, but not all tours had spaces available.

Hey. The boat trip out of Valdez is fantastic. Wildlife out the wazoo, and you

will get to see where Columbia Glacier exploded. Saw more Sea Otters than

I ever knew existed, and two porpoises kept crisscrossing in front of out boat, which was going about 35mph. Wow! I will do that again anytime I make Valdez!