Advise please....

Hi fellow cruisers, so a little medical background, I was diagnosed with MS in June 2015 and slowly adjusting to my “new me”. I have mobility issues and use a cane.

Cruise background….we love to cruise (my husband and 2 teen daughters), we were booked to go on a NCL Jade Med cruise last July, canceled 4 weeks before, as you can imagine devastating. I booked a March Break cruise on Royal Grandeur out of Baltimore, March 12th, a few years back and we are going, very excited.

Wow having a disability has really made me rethink many things I used to take for granted. Hoping to get some advice, here are my thoughts…..

I have the “Royal Special Needs“form to fill out and will be asking for….

1) Sharp’s Container–daily injection needles

2) Egg carton mattress/bed blocks on – I have back issues

3) Embarkation/Debarkation – I am anxious about this, I cannot walk for long distances and inclines are not easy. What should I ask for? Wheelchair assistance OR is Baltimore port not too bad

4) Muster Drill – again I can’t stand for long periods and will need to sit, how do I request this?

5) Itinerary – again anxious about getting off the ship? What happens if we get back to a long line to get back on the ship?

I am planning some low key days…..any suggestions for any of the following places would be greatly appreciated

Port Canaveral – take a taxi and spend day at Jetty Park Beach. How far a walk to the taxi stand?

Nassau – booked a day pass at the British Colonial, been to Nassau, the walk through the little market to taxi stand I think is doable.

Cococay – enjoying the beach, I have been reading about here on Cruise Critic, is the walk to a chair with shade long?? If possible should we book a cabana?

Key West – renting a golf cart and enjoying the island

Is there anything I have missed?

I plan to do a review when we get back…..here is a link to my last cruise review if you are interested in getting to know us…..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965819&highlight=legend+christmas+review

As always I am so appreciative to this board, I have enjoyed countless hours on here, it really has been an escape when reality is too hard to face!

My advice is arrange the hire of a scooter or power wheelchair for the cruise to conserve your energy. I have MD (not MS) but had the same issues before becoming 95% dependent on a chair.

A scooter or wheelchair will give you assistance on and off the ship meaning your concerns about inclines will be gone! You will have assistance with embarkation, or you can request wheelchair embarkation.

This will also reduce your anxiety about muster, getting to the places etc.

My recommendation - make the cruise as easy as possible, including booking an accessible cabin, so you have a pulled down shower seat.

Make like easy not hard - enjoy.

Happy cruising!

I have lymphoedemia and went on a 28 day cruise. I took my scooter, a walker with seat and a cane.

Like you I can walk a little but standing in lines is a real problem. The distances at most airports are too much for me and my scooter makes travel possible. I use the walker to navigate some areas of the ship and on tender ports.

You can rent a scooter and it will be delivered to your cabin or bring your own. Check with your cruise line special needs department and I hope you can get an HC cabin.

I found the room wonderful and the extra features add safety. The shower stool was great!

I know it can be hard to use devices like scooters and walkers but it will conserve your energy and you will have more fun. You never know how long you will be in a line or waiting for a muster drill. I would take the walker and managed fine. I would go to the open decks and enjoy the sun and breeze on either the scooter or walker.

I asked for a table in the dining room that wasn't in a far corner and I found where the special seating was for shows. Ask for help if you need it and I always had kind help available for getting on and off the ship.

Have a wonderful trip from beginning to end

4boysnana

Hi fellow cruisers, so a little medical background, I was diagnosed with MS in June 2015 and slowly adjusting to my “new me”. I have mobility issues and use a cane.

Cruise background….we love to cruise (my husband and 2 teen daughters), we were booked to go on a NCL Jade Med cruise last July, canceled 4 weeks before, as you can imagine devastating. I booked a March Break cruise on Royal Grandeur out of Baltimore, March 12th, a few years back and we are going, very excited.

Wow having a disability has really made me rethink many things I used to take for granted. Hoping to get some advice, here are my thoughts…..

3) Embarkation/Debarkation – I am anxious about this, I cannot walk for long distances and inclines are not easy. What should I ask for? Wheelchair assistance OR is Baltimore port not too bad

4) Muster Drill – again I can’t stand for long periods and will need to sit, how do I request this?

5) Itinerary – again anxious about getting off the ship? What happens if we get back to a long line to get back on the ship?

I am planning some low key days…..any suggestions for any of the following places would be greatly appreciated

Port Canaveral – take a taxi and spend day at Jetty Park Beach. How far a walk to the taxi stand?

Nassau – booked a day pass at the British Colonial, been to Nassau, the walk through the little market to taxi stand I think is doable.

Cococay – enjoying the beach, I have been reading about here on Cruise Critic, is the walk to a chair with shade long?? If possible should we book a cabana?

I plan to do a review when we get back…..here is a link to my last cruise review if you are interested in getting to know us…..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1965819&highlight=legend+christmas+review

As always I am so appreciative to this board, I have enjoyed countless hours on here, it really has been an escape when reality is too hard to face!

Also have MS and know that heat can exacerbate one's systems. Therefore suggest the following :

Yes - Wheelchair assistance at embarkation as well as disembarkation should really be utilized.

Not certain if you currently use any mobility aids but if you aren't than this should be something to consider in your planning. Please don't stress out and get anxious about this suggestion but rather understand that energy management is an important aspect of living with MS. Bringing along some mobility aids so to better manager your symptoms and energy that you can to enjoy your vacation without experiencing an exacerbations does not mean that you're giving into you MS.

Therefore I suggest bringing a Rollator with a seat so that you can rest along the way if you wish to walk. Even perhaps renting a mobility scooter to be delivered/picked up directly to/from the ship might be something to consider.

I travel /cruise regularly and did so quite extensively when working (never disclosed to my employer that I had MS ) so if you have any questions specific to traveling and living with MS please don't hesitate to ask. In fact you might like to know that I cruise once a year with a group from all over the USA that have MS. We call ourselves the MSCruisers ( kind of a play on words since ships generally have the prefix MS in their name. ) You'll can find the group on FaceBook. However I'm not on face book .

Specific to Cocacay - There are beach wheelchairs available free of charge on a first come basis right near where you exit the tender.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The sharps container should not be a problem, but you may have a problem with disposing of the container when you disembark.

Make sure they will accept the filled container for their disposal. Otherwise you may have to pack it and take it home for disposal.

It's a good idea to check in advance and to reconfirm once on board.

I too have MS. My mobility issues are such that I began using a mobility scooter for long distances back in 2012. Since then, I've taken my scooter on 2 cruises, and will take it again in a few weeks. I don't require an accessible cabin yet, as I get around the cabin with my cane. I also bring a walker with me so I can try and get some exercise taking a walk up and down the hallway. I'm trying to stay as mobile as I can for as long as I can. I had a fairly recent total hip replacement, so I try to get a little exercise with the walker for short distance walks.

We were booked on the Grandeur for our next cruise, but son and girlfriend wanted to go and because of schedule conflicts, we canceled and are now going on the Carnival Pride for the 4th time.

I would agree with all of the other posters suggestions. I would definitely look into possibly renting the scooter for the cruise though. I was dead set against getting a scooter when DH suggested it, but 15 minutes after using it, I realized it was the best purchase we had ever made. I didn't want him to have to push me around, and it gives me much more freedom. Trying to walk long distances can be very tiresome on a cruise ship, and fatigue is the last thing we need.

I didn't ask for the Sharp's container as I only do injection once a week.

Go, have fun on your cruise. If you decide to rent a scooter, you should really try one out first to get the feel of it.

The sharps container should not be a problem, but you may have a problem with disposing of the container when you disembark.

Make sure they will accept the filled container for their disposal. Otherwise you may have to pack it and take it home for disposal.

It's a good idea to check in advance and to reconfirm once on board.

The cruise line will provide a sharps container upon request and will also properly dispose of it .

Another cruiser here with MS. We are planning a July cruise to the Baltic - a lot of walking! - so I empathize with your concerns.

Unlike many others I do not suffer from issues of fatigue ( other than tired muscles causing spasticity in my one hamstring) so scooters or wheelchairs on board are unnecessary for me. Long periods of standing in one place and long, sustained walking are my struggle. I have a very unstylish (but I love it) purple folding cane that I use for long distances so that I don't stagger all over or trip, and for stairs without handrails (the true nightmare for me). Only you know how your MS manifests so listen to your body on what is best, people have given great options.

Navigating the Windjammer is the WORST because people move unpredictably and I don't have the ability to stop or turn suddenly. Thankfully the servers there were willing to carry my plate to the table provided I explained my difficulties and asked. MS can be invisible to others so you have to be the one to approach them, but I found the young ladies there wonderful and helpful.

For me, learning to pace myself each day is the key. Some days I can do 17000 steps (with a lot of MS staggering) and other days sitting by the pool ALL day is plenty. I just do as much as I can that day. And that's OK.

The walk to the taxis in Port Canaveral is fairly long and has quite a long, winding down ramp when you disembark. And people are impatient that day. If you have any troubles with down inclines and distance I would suggest wheelchair assist to keep from being bumped around and struggling unnecessarily. Also, you can go to Guest Services at embarkation and request special needs muster even without being in a wheelchair/scooter.

Good luck and enjoy! I was just at CoCo Cay and had the best day :)

Unlike many others I do not suffer from issues of fatigue ( other than tired muscles causing spasticity in my one hamstring) so scooters or wheelchairs o

The walk to the taxis in Port Canaveral is fairly long and has quite a long, winding down ramp when you disembark. And people are impatient that day. If you have any troubles with down inclines and distance I would suggest wheelchair assist to keep from being bumped around and struggling unnecessarily. Also, you can go to Guest Services at embarkation and request special needs muster even without being in a wheelchair/scooter.

Good luck and enjoy! I was just at CoCo Cay and had the best day :)

RCCL only provides wheelchair assistance on embarkation day and disembarkation days only. It does not provide wheelchair assistance during the cruise and on port days getting on/off the ship. . If a wheelchair is required for use during the cruise and or getting on/off the ship in port the individual must make arrangements to bring one with them or rent one prior to cruise .

As always Cruise Critic is a wealth of information...so thank you for all the advise:)

xxoocruiser summed up my feelings perfectly...."...better manage your symptoms and energy that you can to enjoy your vacation without experiencing an exacerbations does not mean that you're giving into you MS." I have been dealing with this feeling of giving in a lot. I digress a little, I am a Kindergarten teacher and this year I went from working full time to two days per week, and that's all I can handle.

I will be bringing my cane, uses wheelchair assistance for embark/debark and the big thing listen to my body and only do what I can. I have planned options for our port days and will keep an open mind and see what my "body" needs for that day.

Again thanks for the uplifting thoughts, there is vacations (especially cruising) after MS.

PS - 4 women from my MS support group are going on an MSCruise (RCCL) at the end of February, they are very excited!

I'm going on my first cruise this June and have severe rheumatoid arthritis. I contacted special guest services and they put a note on my reservation for faster boarding on embarkation day. Also got a room close to an elevator. Like you I cannot stand in lines. I have a foldable stick that I use but I think the main thing is just to listen to your body. We're doing a med cruise so it's port intensive but we're skipping some ports and not planning anything too hectic. It's better to plan less rather than be disappointed that you can't do what you planned. I love the idea that the shows etc are repeated so if I'm too tired one evening we can just see the show another day

In my experience, filing a special needs form is enough to get you flagged for muster with Royal. You will be placed in an indoor lounge or other area with seating for the safety demonstration.

Also, introduce yourself to your cabin attendant and explain your disability. If an emergency should occur while you are in your cabin, he/she will be the one responsible for providing you assistance.

As always Cruise Critic is a wealth of information...so thank you for all the advise:)

xxoocruiser summed up my feelings perfectly...."...better manage your symptoms and energy that you can to enjoy your vacation without experiencing an exacerbations does not mean that you're giving into you MS." I have been dealing with this feeling of giving in a lot. I digress a little, I am a Kindergarten teacher and this year I went from working full time to two days per week, and that's all I can handle.

I will be bringing my cane, uses wheelchair assistance for embark/debark and the big thing listen to my body and only do what I can. I have planned options for our port days and will keep an open mind and see what my "body" needs for that day.

Again thanks for the uplifting thoughts, there is vacations (especially cruising) after MS.

PS - 4 women from my MS support group are going on an MSCruise (RCCL) at the end of February, they are very excited!

Another thing you might consider bringing along is a cooling towel like the ones that just have to submerged in water than ring out the excess water. It works on an evaporation basis. It can easily be purchased on line or at any sports retailer.

We actually have a group of about 150 people for the February MSCruisers Cruise on RCCL. Please tell you friends to look me up. My name is Pat Q . I'm very active within the group and often assist the group organizer so I'll be fairly easy to find. Perhaps sometime you'll consider joining the group.

Please enjoy your cruise ! I often say that cruising is my week of assisted living. Don't have to do laundry, make my bed or prepare meals. In fact I don't have to do anything but enjoy myself .

Edited by xxoocruiser

If it is at all financially possible I would buy a scooter now. You will will need it in the future. Renting one for delivery to the ship is not cheap in my opinion. Its about $250 for a week. You can ride it right to the door of an airplane. They will stow it with luggage and have it right at the door when you get off the plane. they come apart very easily and stow in the trunk of your car. It will give you more freedom on the ship. Won't need to depend on someone being with you always. Ports will be easier to navigate. Some of those piers are very long. I thought I would die at Grand Turk one year it was such a long walk. If you can walk short distances you are the perfect candidate for a scooter.

I can still get around my cabin OK and can park it near the door of the dining room and get to my table just fine, but I could never get from the dining room to the showroom for instance, or from my room to dining room or anywhere else on a huge ship thats 1000 feet long.

Why don't you go to a medical supply store and talk to them and test one. You may also be able to get a prescription for one.

If a scooter isn't possible I would buy my own wheelchair/transport chair. Especially for use in ports.

If it is at all financially possible I would buy a scooter now. You will will need it in the future. Renting one for delivery to the ship is not cheap in my opinion. Its about $250 for a week. You can ride it right to the door of an airplane. They will stow it with luggage and have it right at the door when you get off the plane. they come apart very easily and stow in the trunk of your car. It will give you more freedom on the ship. Won't need to depend on someone being with you always. Ports will be easier to navigate. Some of those piers are very long. I thought I would die at Grand Turk one year it was such a long walk. If you can walk short distances you are the perfect candidate for a scooter.

^^^ This. DH has some mobility issues (not MS) and can walk only for short distances with long distances causing pain. After viewing the costs of renting a scooter for just the cruise, we opted to purchase a very good used one (after much research). This gives him the ability to travel well, but we can also use it for more local activities such as going to the zoo and theme parks without paying their huge prices for renting one.

Always request wheelchair assistance in advance. You can decline it if things look very manageable on the day and no-one will mind.

Muster drill - go at least 30 minutes early which will get you a seat and more importantly, an elevator to get there. Sit around for 15-30 minutes after muster before heading back. Just-on-board able bodied people seem completely incapable of using the stairs and manners are usually in short supply in the elevator lobby. It will ease for the rest of the cruise, except for the odd ill mannered individual who will try to queue jump after returning from a shore visit.

Returning to ship - all depends on the cruise line and the local port but generally, get in line and when it comes to your turn they will get you back on board. Some ships at some ports will operate two ramps in which case you will be directed to the least steep one. There will be plenty of crew to manhandle you and your transport and although it can initially be a little disconcerting just put yourself in their hands.

Your medical condition and your mobility are very personal to you so don't just accept blanket advice like buying a scooter. A chair can follow you on to a tender, sometimes a scooter can't. A powered chair defiantly can't. Just think a little about how you cope day to day and think of the cruise as an extension of that.

To my mind and experience, getting on and off the ship is the least troublesome part of the day and it's more important to research individual ports and seek others' experience. Things like the lack of drop kerbs (manageable in a chair, immensely frustrating on a scooter) and access to shops are worth the research time. You can usually find something to do or somewhere to go.

But most of all, do as much or as little as you feel you can cope with. And enjoy. Cruising is one of the best holiday formats for someone with a disability and I'm sure you'll do okay.

I have mobility issues, but not MS. I travel with a rollator which not only provides assistance when walking, but ALWAYS provides me a place to sit when I need to rest! My rollator (or its predecessor) has been on 16 cruises in the last 12 years. I always ask for wheelchair assistance at embarkation and disembarkation, and hold the folded rollator across my knees when being wheeled (unless there is a second pusher who takes it, with my carry-on bag on it). Further, should you attempt the buffet on a ship, the rollator serves notice that you need assistance with your plate, etc. At various ports, I may ask a crew member to take my rollator while I walk down/up the ramp, using the hand rail(s). (Or I may use my rollator and its handbrakes on the descent.) Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on adventure of the seas last werk....the wheelchair service was not available until we waited in a short line and went through security in san juan....we then had to go through a line to get to hc checkin....I was ready to lie on the floor....a wc did come quickly to actually board us....all other ports I have been to were able to help before entering the termibal...departure was well done...right out to the taxi stand breezing through customs.....I use a scooter on the ship....the walks to taxis have become too long for me so my husband went back and brought the scooter to me....I highly recommend using a scooter....the modern ships are just so big....we were on with family and I didn't want to miss snything...