Fresh Salmon in May/June

sbt518

I'm in the super early stages of planning for Alaska in May or June 2018 and this may be a dumb question but if you go to a salmon bake or other fish restaurant and you order salmon in May or early June won't you be getting frozen salmon from last year?

I'm wondering because I had wanted to go Salmon fishing but I think our trip will be too early, my research indicated that best salmon fishing was late June/July/August.

So if that's true for a charter, wouldn't that be true for professional fishermen too?

I'm not trying to be a fish snob, but I can get frozen Alaskan salmon at home so it wouldn't be as special in AK. Of course there are far more important things to do/see there but I was just curious since my hopes of actually fishing are not looking good.

I sure can't vouch for what a restaurant is serving, but you'll notice that some say fresh salmon served, others don't say that.

My family members go to Sitka every summer to catch salmon and halibut. They typically leave around June 20th - 25th. One year they went on the 10th and it was the lightest load they ever brought home, but it was still plenty. :)

There are different types of salmons and the runs are different by type and location, saltwater vs fresh. Use the Alaska Fish and Game site for assistance with your timing.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSportFishingInforuntiming.main

Edited by mapleleaves

I'm in the super early stages of planning for Alaska in May or June 2018 and this may be a dumb question but if you go to a salmon bake or other fish restaurant and you order salmon in May or early June won't you be getting frozen salmon from last year?

I'm not trying to be a fish snob, but I can get frozen Alaskan salmon at home so it wouldn't be as special in AK. Of course there are far more important things to do/see there but I was just curious since my hopes of actually fishing are not looking good.

My visit to Taku Lodge outside of Juneau last May consumed King Salmon caught the day before as well as iced tea made from floating glacier ice.