Kona Dolphin & Snorkle tour?

Cruiseoholic000

I understand everything in Hawaii is expensive. However, can anyone recommend a Dolphin & Snorkel tour in Kona that won't break the bank?

We go to Hawaii once or twice each year and have no problems finding good deals in Hawaii. We have not done the "Dolphin Tours" near Kona - because the ones we know about keep the dolphins captive and we can't support that.

However - spinner dolphins hang around in the bay in front of Captain Cook (Kealakekua Bay) and they're easy to see. We've snorkeled at many spots all around Hawaii and Captain Cook is our fav spot. The last time we were there, we used Seaquest Hawaii's "Captain Cook Express" tour - we'd do it again in a heartbeat (and probably will!). Their small boat doesn't leave from Kona, but from Keauhou Bay - which requires a 20 min or so cab ride. There are instructions for cruise ship passengers on their site.

There is also VERY good snorkeling just south of Kona at Kahaluu Beach Park. It's a shorter cab ride - but once there, you can snorkel from the beach. But I've NEVER seen dolphins there (but lots of turtles, though!).

Hope it helps.

I should have been more specific but was thinking of dolphins in the wide. So far this is what I found

Body glove 8am - 12:30pm ~ $149.86 w/ tax + tip

Wild Dolphin Swims Hawaii - 4 hours Day Tours Cost is $179.00 per person plus tax. + tips

Zodiac - 3-Hour Wild Dolphin Swim Adult: $110.00 +tip No Wed. if you are on POA out of luck

SeaQuest 5 hours 148 +tip No Wed. if you are on POA out of luck

Kona's Original Dolphin Adventure 7:30 -12:30PM $130.14w/tax?

Big Island Divers 7:30am - 11:30am $135.05 w/tax must have previous snorkel experience

Sundlight on Water $115 with tax? (book early to save) + tip 8:00a.m.--12:00p.m. Check-in 7:30 a.m. some photos included in trip

I should have been more specific but was thinking of dolphins in the wide. So far this is what I found

Body glove 8am - 12:30pm ~ $149.86 w/ tax + tip

Wild Dolphin Swims Hawaii - 4 hours Day Tours Cost is $179.00 per person plus tax. + tips

Zodiac - 3-Hour Wild Dolphin Swim Adult: $110.00 +tip No Wed. if you are on POA out of luck

SeaQuest 5 hours 148 +tip No Wed. if you are on POA out of luck

Kona's Original Dolphin Adventure 7:30 -12:30PM $130.14w/tax?

Big Island Divers 7:30am - 11:30am $135.05 w/tax must have previous snorkel experience

Sundlight on Water $115 with tax? (book early to save) + tip 8:00a.m.--12:00p.m. Check-in 7:30 a.m. some photos included in trip

Looks like you are off to a good start. You might check these out further on Trip Advisor, the sister site of Cruise Critic if you have not already, for user reviews.

I believe the POA offers a Body Glove tour in Kona, but I do not know if it is the same one you have listed. My impression is that it was more of a snorkel tour rather than a "swim with" focus. You may have to book a private tour with this focus. We saw spinners on our Fair Winds excursion to Kealakekua Bay ( Captn Cook ) but they did not come anywhere near us and the captain said they are not allowed to follow, must keep to a certain distance and hope they come to you.

We go to Hawaii once or twice each year and have no problems finding good deals in Hawaii. We have not done the "Dolphin Tours" near Kona - because the ones we know about keep the dolphins captive and we can't support that.

However - spinner dolphins hang around in the bay in front of Captain Cook (Kealakekua Bay) and they're easy to see. We've snorkeled at many spots all around Hawaii and Captain Cook is our fav spot. The last time we were there, we used Seaquest Hawaii's "Captain Cook Express" tour - we'd do it again in a heartbeat (and probably will!). Their small boat doesn't leave from Kona, but from Keauhou Bay - which requires a 20 min or so cab ride. There are instructions for cruise ship passengers on their site.

I would NEVER, EVER try to swim in Kealakekua Bay with dolphins. That is about ten times worse than a captive dolphin experience. Most of the dolphin tours on the Big Island are violating U.S. federal law.

Go to the TripAdvisor webpage below and read the Top Question, "What are the issues about swimming with dolphins?" There are about eight linked articles. You do not need to join TA to read them, but it is a great resource and the parent company of Cruise Critic.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29217-i268-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

I would NEVER, EVER try to swim in Kealakekua Bay with dolphins.

Yeah - I guess that's why I said "see" and didn't say "swim"!

In the times we've been at Caption Cook - when the dolphins came near us, the boat operator killed the engines and we drifted until they cleared. Being from a place with lots of marine wildlife - my opinion was that they acted as responsibly as they could.

Yeah - I guess that's why I said "see" and didn't say "swim"!

In the times we've been at Caption Cook - when the dolphins came near us, the boat operator killed the engines and we drifted until they cleared. Being from a place with lots of marine wildlife - my opinion was that they acted as responsibly as they could.

Acting as responsibly as they can would be not going to Kealakekua Bay at all since they know the dolphins are there to rest. The tours are seeking out the dolphins.

I suggest opening the link from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that Susan M posted as read just the bullet points. The same link is part of the TripAdvisor Top Question and the series of topics there about it.

There is no level of contact between humans and dolphins in Kealakekua Bay that is healthy for the dolphins.

There is also VERY good snorkeling just south of Kona at Kahaluu Beach Park. It's a shorter cab ride - but once there, you can snorkel from the beach. But I've NEVER seen dolphins there (but lots of turtles, though!).

Hope it helps.

Thank you! We went to the website and went ahead and booked the Expedition South Kona! We're excited!

Thank you! We went to the website and went ahead and booked the Expedition South Kona! We're excited!

What part of "this is bad" is hard to understand?

http://dolphinart.tripod.com/save.htm

http://www.fpir.noaa.gov/PRD/prd_swim_with_wild_dolphins.html

http://www.fpir.noaa.gov/Library/PRD/Spinner%20Dolphin/Swim%20With%20page/Courbis%20and%20Timmel%202008.pdf

The tours are seeking out the dolphins.

No, the tours are there for snorkeling. Re-reading the NOAA link doesn't change my view of the tour. There is no swimming, no close viewing (it's a snorkeling tour), no encircling. In our experience, the tour operators acted both respectably and responsibly. I'm sure there are others that do not. The bay is heavily regulated.

I assume you want all boat traffic banned from all bays - have you started that process?

I read the description of the "Expedition South Kona" - I fail to see what is "bad". When snorkeling at the City of Refuge - the dolphins will quite often swim/approach the snorkelers (but you have to go out a distance). They are obviously completely free to do otherwise.

If you want to go see the captive dolphins at the Hilton, I guess that's your choice. But don't kid yourself that isn't "bad"...

Back to the OP question about "breaking the bank" an excellent option, I always include is to rent a car and drive to 2 Step (far superior to any of the "taxi" areas near the port". I've staying in Kona, several times, and have kayaked across Kealakekua Bay to the Cpt Cook area. Without doing that, and on a day trip- 2 Step is superb with fantastic snorkeling right from the jump in.

You can add a look at the Place of Refuge, which is right there. 2 Step is the right turn off just before the admission booth. http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm

No, the tours are there for snorkeling. Re-reading the NOAA link doesn't change my view of the tour. There is no swimming, no close viewing (it's a snorkeling tour), no encircling. In our experience, the tour operators acted both respectably and responsibly. I'm sure there are others that do not. The bay is heavily regulated.

The bay is heavily regulated by whom? The Marine Mammal Protection Act is a federal low. Whom have you seen from the federal government enforcing the laws and arresting violators?

The boats don't need to encircle or chase to disturb the rest of the dolphins. The dolphins will approach swimmers, kayaks and boats out of natural curiosity and to asses the threat danger. This disturbs their sleep and rest patterns, but that seems okay as long as your get your pictures.

The Hawaii DLNR has looked at and is continuing to look at a total ban in the bay, but they too lack the personnel for daily enforcement.

I read the description of the "Expedition South Kona" - I fail to see what is "bad". When snorkeling at the City of Refuge - the dolphins will quite often swim/approach the snorkelers (but you have to go out a distance). They are obviously completely free to do otherwise.

If you want to go see the captive dolphins at the Hilton, I guess that's your choice. But don't kid yourself that isn't "bad"...

As said, dolphins often will approach swimmers out of natural curiosity and to asses the threat danger. It is very different in open water than it is from the areas they go to rest.

Or maybe you think the massive drop in Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins is merely a coincidence unrelated to all the activity, tours etc.

You can keep thinking that until they are all gone.

Thanks for trying to educate others about this important issue, Scott and Susan.

What these companies are doing is illegal. Our dolphin population has been decimated by them. When you disturb dolphins in their resting bays and/or during their resting times, it hinders their ability to conserve energy for hunting at night which makes them more vulnerable to sharks and poor health. Research studies have placed the blame for the dramatic decline in our local dolphin population squarely on these tour companies. In addition, most of the companies mentioned here engage in leapfrogging and other illegal actions to put people in the water with dolphins. In one day a single pod can be harassed by dozens of boats for hours at a time.

The ethical, responsible thing to do rather than focusing on your own gratification would be to decline to participate in any swim or snorkel with dolphins tour. If you want to contribute to killing dolphins instead just so you can say you swam with them, then ok, but I'm a little astounded after being provided all of the facts and research you would just do it anyway. Ignorance about the issue is one thing, being informed and doing it anyway...well, wow.

There are responsible boats that view dolphins and whales from the boat at a distance and refuse to participate in illegally putting people in the water with or near dolphins.

I thought I'd better make myself clear - we had been looking for a good snorkelling tour - and found Expedition South Kona ideal for us. So I thanked you for directing us to SeaQuest. We were not looking for Dolphin swim at all. ;)

If we are able to see (not swim with) whales/dolphins, then it's a bonus!

Edited by bluesea777

SeaQuest is one of the worst dolphin harassers. They take multiple boats into a known resting bay, cut off pods from exiting the bay, and then putsnorkelers in the water with the dolphins. This is what is killing our dolphins. There is excellent snorkeling from shore at many locations on the west side of the island, you do not need a tour. If you want to get out on the water to responsibly view Dolphins from a boat, I recommend Mauna Lani Sea Adventures as one option.

SeaQuest is one of the worst dolphin harassers. They take multiple boats into a known resting bay, cut off pods from exiting the bay, and then putsnorkelers in the water with the dolphins. This is what is killing our dolphins. There is excellent snorkeling from shore at many locations on the west side of the island, you do not need a tour. If you want to get out on the water to responsibly view Dolphins from a boat, I recommend Mauna Lani Sea Adventures as one option.

Thanks Sharkmaid for the perspective from a local who lives it everyday.

Thanks too for the recommendation of a responsible operator. It is so hard to winnow out the good from the bad since so many lie on their websites about how they conduct business.

Thank you for the recommendation. Mauna Lani Sea Adventures is unfortunately a hour away from the pier and starts at 8:30. On the POA you would not make it in time. The only way around this is a private charter. However, there prices are very reasonable.

To provide some corrections about misinformation that has been posted in this thread:

- Swimming with wild spinner dolphins is illegal, period. You must stay 150 feet away from them at all times.

- Kealakekua Bay may be "heavily regulated" but there is very little enforcement of those regulations.

-There is no such place as "2 step." You're speaking about Honaunau Bay.

It's very much appreciated that there are posters here seeking to educate cruisers about the issues about swimming with or harassing wild dolphins.

Snorkel tours are often dolphin harassers. Please do not think you will not be doing harm going with that Kona Expedition you booked.

These bays are where the dolphins come to rest during the day, after a tiring night of hunting for food. Dolphins do not sleep, because they do not have autonomic breathing like we do. They shut down half of their brain at one time to rest it. Fascinating adaptation.

Their sonar capabilities cause them to be aware of boats and engines. You really cannot cruise into their "bedroom" without disrupting their rest.

When the baby dolphins don't get rest, the tired baby dolphins are more vulnerable to sharks. When baby dolphins get eaten by sharks, dolphin population spirals down, which it has been.

Please don't contribute to this by taking snorkel tours from the known bad operators. Stay away from cruises that go to dolphin resting bays and be part of the solution?

Thanks to Hawaii locals and others for highlighting such important info. I'd like to know the reputation of Captain Zodiak Raft Expeditions. We're considering their Raft & Snorkel tour in Kona which focuses specifically on snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay Marine Reserve. There is no mention of swimming with dolphins, just snorkeling amongst coral and tropical fish. The description does say, however, that zodiak captains are expert at spotting pods of spinner dolphins, humpback whales and other marine mammals. So now I'm concerned. We would never participate in this tour if there was any chance that they harass or disturb the resident dolphins in any way, so I'd appreciate any local insight.

Thanks to Hawaii locals and others for highlighting such important info. I'd like to know the reputation of Captain Zodiak Raft Expeditions. We're considering their Raft & Snorkel tour in Kona which focuses specifically on snorkeling in Kealakekua Bay Marine Reserve. There is no mention of swimming with dolphins, just snorkeling amongst coral and tropical fish. The description does say, however, that zodiak captains are expert at spotting pods of spinner dolphins, humpback whales and other marine mammals. So now I'm concerned. We would never participate in this tour if there was any chance that they harass or disturb the resident dolphins in any way, so I'd appreciate any local insight.

I am not local and hopefully the locals will come back and comment, but just looking at their webpage would make me avoid them like the plague.

They advertise a "3-Hour Wild Dolphin Swim" which would be my first reason to avoid them and the the description says "Our Zodiac approaches cautiously and then suddenly there they are amazingly close, right next to the raft" and "you gently float in the vicinity of the dolphin pod". Both of those statements are huge red flags to me.

Anyone advertising a "wild dolphin" encounter can only do so by going where they know they are and if they are "amazingly close, right next to the raft" then they are violating the Marine Mammal Protection Act (federal law) and probably lots of state laws.

Thanks scottca. The tour we're considering is a snorkelling shorex through our ship and is not specifically described on Captain Zodiak website. That said, I now see enough there to give me pause about the impact that some of their other tours may have on resident dolphins. We'll be doing something else in Kona.

I'm going to recommend the folks at Kamanu sailing charters. They have a zodiac called Kamanu 'Elua that foes the dolphin swims, and they are nice folks. We've been out on their sailing catamaran which is a delight.

Here's how this dolphin thing works with a respectful and reputable operator. They cruise the coastline looking for spinner Dolphins who are in their semi-sleep rest mode pod, and they drop you in the water in the path of the pod. You stay nice and still and watch as they swim by...no touching or interaction because daytime is the spinner dolphin's rest cycle.

As noted by other folks, these are protected animals and are a treasure and should be respected as such.

This tour runs about $99.