which ships in which ports?

sandinmyshoes

How do I find out how many other ships will be in port with us? Just wondering for touring aspects. If there are several ships in port at the same time then we might skip places like Pompeii that could easily get overcrowded and lose their appeal.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm sure someone will post a general site where you can research several ports but I like to go to the source whenever possible as there's no way to know how often a third party updates their information.

For Naples, the Port Authority web site can be found here: http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=245

Simply use the calendar to find your date and click on it, the list of cruise ships in port that day will appear in a list below the picture, with their planned times and scheduled berth location.

I would not rely on general sites.

There are some but they miss the mark as they only typically show cruise ships that are oriented to North America and they don't have the ones that are based in places such as Europe.

Personally, I would not worry about this. If you want to go to Pompeii go. It's not the Caribbean where several ships will spoil your visit. My recommendation though is do it privately and go early. Pompeii is amazing. You will see and learn how advanced these people were and it is something not to be missed.

Keith

Totally agree with Keith. In the very rare cases that number of ships in port have actually impacted our activities, we use the website for the port, like euro cruiser provided. Far more accurate than the general websites.

We also feel the number of ships matters very little. Depending on the port, there are so many ways to deal with crowds. We would never abandon Pompei because it might be crowded. Just get there early. In our case, we did it by a private tour (from the wonderful Rome in Limo), but you could probably aslo do it by taking the train first thing.

Plus, Pompei is not a small site, the crowds will take time to build. So getting there by opening will allow you an hour or better with smaller crowds.

How do I find out how many other ships will be in port with us? Just wondering for touring aspects. If there are several ships in port at the same time then we might skip places like Pompeii that could easily get overcrowded and lose their appeal.

Thanks for any advice.

Go to a website, http://www.cruisett.com click on ports. It should show you what ships are where on what days.

Go to a website, http://www.cruisett.com click on ports. It should show you what ships are where on what days.

Sites like that will not show the cruise ships that cater to European markets.

Keith

As usual, Keith is right on. There have been many documented inaccuracies with cruisett, just like many of the other "general area" websites. The Harber websites are FAR more reliable.