Which Airport Route

Misty_Que

We are a group of 10 (so far) cruising on Anthem January 2017. We are flying in 3 days pre-cruise to enjoy the sights of NY and will be flying home the day the cruise arrives.

I am looking for the best choice on which airports to fly in/out of.

Should we fly into LGA or JFK and depart from EWR?

Or fly into and depart from EWR?

Or fly into LGA/JFK and depart from LGA/JFK?

I looked into the cost of flights and all options are basically the same give or take a few dollars. But wondering what the cheapest airport option for transportation would be.

Thanks!

If there is no difference in price, ground transfers would cheaper if you flew into Lga and out of ewr.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. The flight cost from flying into LGA rather than EWR is only $9 per person so I think that will justify the ground transportation costs. I think this route will be more convenient as well.

Have you selected a Manhattan hotel yet? If not, you should have your hotel plans in place before you make plane reservations. A lot of folks are in sticker shock about Manhattan hotels prices. The best alternative for Cape Liberty is to fly in and out of EWR and stay in NJ.

Have you selected a Manhattan hotel yet? If not, you should have your hotel plans in place before you make plane reservations. A lot of folks are in sticker shock about Manhattan hotels prices. The best alternative for Cape Liberty is to fly in and out of EWR and stay in NJ.

We have stayed in Manhattan a few times now so we are aware of the high cost of hotels. I have thought about staying in NJ but worried about getting back and forth. We are not familiar with the train system and also worry as we are travelling with a group of people who are not seasoned travellers. I also prefer to be within walking distance to our hotel just in case we need to rest or something. I don't know, maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing as I have no idea about the transportation system :confused:

We have stayed in Manhattan a few times now so we are aware of the high cost of hotels. I have thought about staying in NJ but worried about getting back and forth. We are not familiar with the train system and also worry as we are travelling with a group of people who are not seasoned travellers. I also prefer to be within walking distance to our hotel just in case we need to rest or something. I don't know, maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing as I have no idea about the transportation system :confused:

Maybe a moderate hotel close to a HoHo bus stop would suit your needs. You can get the 2 day pass and see everything.

Manhattan is enormous. Wherever you stay, you're always going to have to use the subway, bus, or taxi to get somewhere else. Just walking back to your hotel is not going to be an option for many of the places you might visit. Waiting for a Hoho bus could be a very cold option in January.

some folks avoid the subway like the plague. That's why you see all the express busses on 6th Avenue.

So to avoid the subway Staten Islanders take express buses?

I guess those in Whitestone Queens the subway is bad out there too?

The subway is not the terrible decent into the 9 circles of hell that people make it out. It is safe, just keep your head about you.

PATH map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://www.panynj.gov/photo/path/PATH_system_map.jpg

The Jersey City Courtyard is at the Newport stop with direct access to midtown via 6th Ave and downtown to World Trade Mon-Fri. Sat/Sun routes are a bit more complicated.

Can you identify what you actually want to do and to see in NY? What are your exact dates in Jan?

PATH map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

http://www.panynj.gov/photo/path/PATH_system_map.jpg

The Jersey City Courtyard is at the Newport stop with direct access to midtown via 6th Ave and downtown to World Trade Mon-Fri. Sat/Sun routes are a bit more complicated.

Can you identify what you actually want to do and to see in NY? What are your exact dates in Jan?

We have taken the NY subway before and felt ok. Not sure how the group we are coming with will though. But that sounds fairly easy. Thinking of arriving January 22 and the cruise leaves on the 26th.

We haven't made any plans yet of what we would like to do. We have seen all the "touristy" sites before but our group hasn't. I just have to check with them to see what they all want to do. But I am pretty sure they are leaving all the planning up to me. If you can suggest things that will be ok to do in January, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your help!