Best time for Whitepass train?

Rockinrobin50

There are several time slots to do the Whitepass Train/ bus tour in Skagway and I was wondering which time would be better weather wise. There is a 8:30am and 12:00 noon trip and I was leaning toward the 12:00 thinking it might be a little warmer and less foggy. What do you all think?

We will be on the Crown Princess and will be in port from 7:00am to 5:00pm. Thank you!

Edited by Rockinrobin50
Typing errors

I don’t see a lot of posts from folks who had problems with the fog, a lot asking about it though so there must be some merit to it.

The train climbs up a steep-cliffed canyon and there is better light at noon with the sun more directly overhead than early morning, if you are a photographer.

There are several time slots to do the Whitepass Train/ bus tour in Skagway and I was wondering which time would be better weather wise. There is a 8:30am and 12:00 noon trip and I was leaning toward the 12:00 thinking it might be a little warmer and less foggy. What do you all think?

We will be on the Crown Princess and will be in port from 7:00am to 5:00pm. Thank you!

We opted for the bus/train combo...The bus left at 8:30am...This worked out great for us as it then left the afternoon open to enjoy Skagway.

With the train/bus combo the timing is a crap shoot and the reason we just do the train to the summit. We wait til we arrive, look up and see if there is fog or low cloud shrouding the mountain and if there is we wait until it clears...if it doesn't then we don't go.

Thank you guys for your input. I chose the noon trip and we will be doing the train/bus combo with Chilkoot Charters. We will check out the town in the morning.

We chose the 8:30; one never knows how it will be, but we wrote out pros and cons and decided that the afternoon would be good for shopping or a nap[emoji844][emoji572]️