White Pass via train, bus, or both?

mlbcruiser

As with everyone else, I suggest the combo. I just got back from a cruise where I booked an excursion for bus up there, to Carcross, and then the train back down to Skagway. The bus was fun because you are more likely to see wildlife - we saw four bears right on the side of the road (separate sightings, not together). You can also stop and get some great photos. And of course, you can go further into the Yukon than the train will allow, especially for the time of year (mid-May).

However, I also loved the train portion of the trip. It is a totally different and unique view, and I thought it was a real treat with all of the snow that was still on the ground this time of year. The bus driver told us the snow would all be melted by June, but that was so hard to believe because it seemed like such a huge and beautiful blanket over everything. It was so soft, like a magnificent untouched wilderness. It's one thing to see those snow-capped mountains from the bus, it's another to be IN them on the train. As we got closer to Skagway, there was much less snow and many more trees, and that was beautiful in a different way.

If I had to choose between them, I think next time I would go on the train exclusively.

Edited by tree.star

What are your thoughts on the experience taking the train up versus down? We've reserved with Chilkoot in August for the van up and train afterward. Mostly chose it because it starts at 8:30 instead of 7:30. DH doesn't do early too gracefully, but he would manage if it made a difference to the quality of the trip.

Linda

The train sounds awesome what side of the train do you think it is best to sit on? You make is sound so magical

I sat on the right side of the train (if you are standing on the train looking towards the front of it) on the trip down to Skagway, and that seemed to have the better views, but it's not something I would stress over. I was worried about getting the "best side," but the windows are so large that you can see to either side of the train, and our car ended up only being half full so we could move around wherever we wanted to. There is also a small outdoor platform with great views.

What are your thoughts on the experience taking the train up versus down? We've reserved with Chilkoot in August for the van up and train afterward. Mostly chose it because it starts at 8:30 instead of 7:30. DH doesn't do early too gracefully, but he would manage if it made a difference to the quality of the trip.

Linda

Hi Linda

This is that trip, but train first. We did it that way to have extra time to walk around Skagway. I don't think it makes any difference to the day, overall. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]3WSaRzt5N0Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]aFpz4AHOcUs[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks, Tony. I'd read a post where someone said there was less narration on the downhill route.

Linda

I don't know. Presumably it's a tape so maybe they go down slightly quicker ? You can't hear the narration out on the platform, which is annoying but I suppose people would stay out there longer if they had put speakers there.

I don't know. Presumably it's a tape so maybe they go down slightly quicker ? You can't hear the narration out on the platform, which is annoying but I suppose people would stay out there longer if they had put speakers there.

Hmm, I must have had an unusual experience maybe. There was no tape, it was just a crew member providing some brief information at certain points of the journey, for example maybe a few minutes explaining Dead Horse Gulch. He came on the PA system about 10 times maybe. I know it was a real person and not a tape because the conductor thanked him for the narration at the end and then he came through each car to answer questions and/or take tips.

We will be going on our first cruise to Alaska in July :) We chose to go with Dyea Dave on the Emerald Lake Tour and take the train on the way back. We have read all good things about Dyea Dave (Trip Advisor also has great reviews!), and the tour was VERY reasonably priced. Also, the tour is smaller, which we really like. Enjoy your trip!!

For those w heights or similar fears, you may wish to consult yr MD about xanax.

If you need medication to take this tour, perhaps you'd be better off not taking it! :eek:

Honestly, I do have a fear of heights, and I have no problem with the train, if I'm sitting inside. Going out on the platform to get a good photo bothers me, but I can do it. Of course, everyone is different and may react differently. For me, it's not the height so much as it is the insecure feeling that I might fall. Hence, feeling fine sitting in the train but more fearful on the platform.

If you need medication to take this tour, perhaps you'd be better off not taking it! :eek:

Honestly, I do have a fear of heights, and I have no problem with the train, if I'm sitting inside. Going out on the platform to get a good photo bothers me, but I can do it. Of course, everyone is different and may react differently. For me, it's not the height so much as it is the insecure feeling that I might fall. Hence, feeling fine sitting in the train but more fearful on the platform.

I hate heights, I don't do roller coasters or even gondola rides. Train didn't bother me one bit. I was even outside on the platform taking pictures for most of the ride.

may i ask what time frame did you reserve? 7:30-3:30 12:30-4 8 am to 4:30 8 hrs is a long time. I don't know just asking

Dave will pick us up at 7:45, and the tour begins. I know that we will stop several places and that we will also stop for lunch. We will be dropped off in time to get on the train at 2:45. Then, Dave will pick us up when we get off the train around 4:45. It will be a long day, but we are very much looking forward to it.