Laundromat options in Alaska

newzandile

Depending on what I find out about laundry specials on the Norwegian Sun, I may want to do laundry on one of our port days. Our ports are Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I REALLY don't want to spend port time sitting in a laundromat but we're going straight from the cruise into a DIY landtour in Denali, no laundry facilities at our campground.

Are there any drop and go laundry options? I'm envisioning a service where we drop off a bag of laundry and pick it up later, washed and folded? I've done that in other parts of the world on long trips.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

There are laundry machines at Riley Campground at Denali ! There's wifi and espresso next door !

Every town will have a laundromat or 2. Google each town's yellow pages, and ask if they provide the wash and fold service. I've used laundramats in Seward, Fairbanks, Girdwood, Denali but didn't notice if they provided the service.

There are laundry machines at Riley Campground at Denali ! There's wifi and espresso next door !

Every town will have a laundromat or 2. Google each town's yellow pages, and ask if they provide the wash and fold service. I've used laundramats in Seward, Fairbanks, Girdwood, Denali but didn't notice if they provided the service.

Thanks for the quick answer! We only have 2 full days in Denali. 1 day we are bussing it into the interior and we hope to schedule a ranger led back country hike the 2nd day so don't know when we'd have the time. Good to know that we could pop over there in a pinch though!

I'll do some google research, just hoping to get a good word of mouth referral.

Thanks for the quick answer! We only have 2 full days in Denali. 1 day we are bussing it into the interior and we hope to schedule a ranger led back country hike the 2nd day so don't know when we'd have the time. Good to know that we could pop over there in a pinch though!

I'll do some google research, just hoping to get a good word of mouth referral.

There is a laundromat in Skagway at the Service Unlimited gas station. It is at 170 State st, near 2nd st, 907-983-2595. You could put your laundry in the wash, walk around Skagway then come back to put it into the dryer, go away again, etc. The dryers are propane so take longer than a dryer you may be used to. I think it is quarters only, but you can call and check on everything.

Edited by pizzalady1

Wow. I'd put a few extra dollars aside and have it done on the ship rather than worrying about it while at a port. Heck, if you're doing hiking and outdoor stuff after the cruise, who cares if your jeans aren't freshly laundered. ;)

Depending on what I find out about laundry specials on the Norwegian Sun, I may want to do laundry on one of our port days. Our ports are Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I REALLY don't want to spend port time sitting in a laundromat but we're going straight from the cruise into a DIY landtour in Denali, no laundry facilities at our campground.

Are there any drop and go laundry options? I'm envisioning a service where we drop off a bag of laundry and pick it up later, washed and folded? I've done that in other parts of the world on long trips.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Do you really want to waste half a day in Alaska doing laundry. Just take more clothes, and if necessary pay for an extra checked bag. You will wear jeans most of the time anyway, and unless you roll in the mud they can be worn forever. In fact it is not good for the denim to wash it too often. I suspect that you are overthinking the amount of clothing to take. Unless your clothes get smelly you are the only one who will know that you have worn things multiple days.

Edited by zqvol

Thanks for all the feedback. I definitely DON'T want to spend time in port doing laundry, that's why I was asking for a wash and fold service.

I will probably just use the ship's service. I have 2 teenage boys. If you haven't been around teenage boys lately they smell, a lot. Something about the hormones I expect but seriously their clothes get rank very quickly no matter how many showers they take or what kind of top rated scientific deodorant I buy for them. We are also doing pretty active excursions.

I may look into the cost of an extra bag but we're already giving the airline almost $4,000 on this trip so I'd prefer to avoid that cost if I can. Of course if it works out to be cheaper than what I'd expect to pay for the ship's laundry then maybe.

I agree w everyone who says not to waste time in AK w laundry. However, you could use Google to find the phone numbers of laundries in the towns that you will be visiting and then call them.

DON

Thanks for all the feedback. I definitely DON'T want to spend time in port doing laundry, that's why I was asking for a wash and fold service.

I will probably just use the ship's service. I have 2 teenage boys. If you haven't been around teenage boys lately they smell, a lot. Something about the hormones I expect but seriously their clothes get rank very quickly no matter how many showers they take or what kind of top rated scientific deodorant I buy for them. We are also doing pretty active excursions.

I may look into the cost of an extra bag but we're already giving the airline almost $4,000 on this trip so I'd prefer to avoid that cost if I can. Of course if it works out to be cheaper than what I'd expect to pay for the ship's laundry then maybe.

At that cost it sound like you are flying business class. If so check with your airline, there are different baggage allowances, and weight limits. For example on Delta you get two free bags per person and the weight limit is 70lbs, plus the usual carryons.

I checked with a NCL cruiser/friend who said she remembered laundry bags at around $30. A couple of bags could do it for you.

Have your boys get two pair microfiber underwear. They rinse out a pair in the shower and wear the spare. You can get wicking undershirts too. They work out great when we are gone for longer trips. Your boys can be expected to help out.;)

Although the idea of leaving your laundry in machines in Skagway could work, I'd be leery. I've had clothes stolen in laundromats before, although not in Alaska. In Juneau though, with the drug problem, I'd totally expect unattended laundry to be stolen.

I'm not home, or I'd check for you, but you can see if Alaska Laundry does fluff and fold. (907) 586-1133 The Washboard is a laundromat near it, but neither is close enough to the docks to drag bags, unless those teen boys have strong backs! They're the closest laundry to the docks though.