Post-cruise Dublin apartment

prish

We are doing a BI cruise next June and want to spend a week in Dublin post-cruise, we will be 4-5 adults and are looking for a centrally located self-catering apartment. I've contacted a few places but most of them require full advance payment. I'm not too happy about paying almost a year ahead of our trip, especially since the cancellation terms are rather severe.

Am hoping my CC friends will be able to help, look forward to suggestions from you, thanks in advance:)

Edited by prish

I too would wait until nearer the date. Few landlords want to quote prices that far ahead. I would use Tripadvisor to see market prices and reviews and then maybe look elsewhere, including contacting landlords directly. Leave it until December I think.

Thank you. I have successfully booked with VRBO in the past for London, Paris and Italy, quite often almost a year ahead, with a minimum deposit. Looks like Dublin works differently, will wait till later in the year.

Understand one can rent rooms at Trinity in the summer, I contacted them but they too won't book till January. Any idea how good the rooms there are? We're not looking for anything fancy, but don't want spartan accommodations either. The location would be perfect though:D

Thanks again, Prish

Thanks so much for the links Bob+, I'll definitely look into Trinity accommodation for next summer:)

Failte,

If you have a full week you should get out of Dublin for a few days. Catch a train or bus to Galway (only a few hours journey). Its the best little city in the world.

There is always a buzz and great Irish music. Get a flavour of the west coast and the 'Wild Atlantic Way' .

Pop out to the Aran Islands for a night where the pub doesn't close if the only policeman on the island if off duty that night!!!!

2/3 days is plenty to see Dublin.

Get to see the real Ireland outside our capital.

Failte,

If you have a full week you should get out of Dublin for a few days. Catch a train or bus to Galway (only a few hours journey). Its the best little city in the world.

There is always a buzz and great Irish music. Get a flavour of the west coast and the 'Wild Atlantic Way' .

Pop out to the Aran Islands for a night where the pub doesn't close if the only policeman on the island if off duty that night!!!!

2/3 days is plenty to see Dublin.

Get to see the real Ireland outside our capital.

Thanks Dexysgirl, Dublin will be our base but we do plan trips to Belfast and Galway/Cliffs of Moher, also Newgrange and Glendalough. Hadn't considered the Aran islands, need to see if that would work, thanks again:)

I don't know if you have been to Ireland before, not sure where you are from. But map of Ireland is deceptive, as the crow flies everything looks very close together and if you are only going to major cities of Cork, Limerick , Galway and Belfast direct won't be too bad and if you leave Dublin before rush hour travel time won't be too bad. But once you are off these major roads it's a whole different ball game and travel time will be much longer than the distance suggests.

If I was you I would split your stay up. Half in the west and the other east. This would cut travel time and be cheaper, you can stay in really nice houses in Cork, Kerry, Clare & Galway for a couple of hundred euros.

And if you are only staying in Dublin as a base. Again I would save money and stay outside of Dublin, such as Kildare or Carlow. Much better value for money.

We are doing a BI cruise next June and want to spend a week in Dublin post-cruise, we will be 4-5 adults and are looking for a centrally located self-catering apartment. I've contacted a few places but most of them require full advance payment. I'm not too happy about paying almost a year ahead of our trip, especially since the cancellation terms are rather severe.

Am hoping my CC friends will be able to help, look forward to suggestions from you, thanks in advance:)[/

We are renting a flat in Dublin in December. Not sure if I can list the link? Not sure if rules allow that? I can not remember, perhaps someone can enlightened me about that. The owner asked for 25 percent down and seems to be a nice guy. Talked to him yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't know if you have been to Ireland before, not sure where you are from. But map of Ireland is deceptive, as the crow flies everything looks very close together and if you are only going to major cities of Cork, Limerick , Galway and Belfast direct won't be too bad and if you leave Dublin before rush hour travel time won't be too bad. But once you are off these major roads it's a whole different ball game and travel time will be much longer than the distance suggests.

If I was you I would split your stay up. Half in the west and the other east. This would cut travel time and be cheaper, you can stay in really nice houses in Cork, Kerry, Clare & Galway for a couple of hundred euros.

And if you are only staying in Dublin as a base. Again I would save money and stay outside of Dublin, such as Kildare or Carlow. Much better value for money.

That does seem to make a lot of sense. Thanks for that advice. We are planning a trip as well.

We are renting a flat in Dublin in December. Not sure if I can list the link? Not sure if rules allow that? I can not remember, perhaps someone can enlightened me about that. The owner asked for 25 percent down and seems to be a nice guy. Talked to him yesterday.

Thanks both of you. Kevinyork, we have been to Ireland before and know how the country roads can be; its the same in England and Scotland too isn't it, once you get off the motorway.

Our two main trips will be to Galway (overnight?) and the Giant's Causeway, we've been to Belfast previously. Plan on leaving early to return late, so hopefully traffic won't be too bad, though it will make for long days.

How does transportation work if we decide to stay outside Dublin, especially if we want to come into town in the evenings? I need to look at a map of the greater Dublin area to get a better idea of the set-up.

Miloli, I think you should be okay with giving the link to your apartment, I've seen that done before.

Thanks again for the suggestions, always helps:)

Dublin to Galway is a 2½ hour drive on two lane motorways (highways).

The Giant's Causeway is much further and an hour (at least) longer. It's your holiday, but I think that there are better places to see that take a lot less effort (and petrol). Newgrange for example: http://www.newgrange.com/

Or while you are on the West coast, The Cliffs of Moher: http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/plan-your-visit/things-to-do/view-the-cliffs/

cliffs-of-moher-sunset_slider.jpg

If you stay in satellite towns buses are not too bad plus they have night buses, such as leixlip, maynooth lucan, etc. Though bus journey times are about 45 min. I used to do it all the time when I lived in leixlip 😀 I've never used the local trains so not sure on times or length of journeys.

Bob++, gorgeous picture of the Cliffs of Moher, hope its a clear day when we go to the Galway area! As I mentioned further up in this thread we will be visiting Newgrange and the Boyne Valley as well Glendalough; I've been there before but the rest of my family hasn't and IMO Newgrange should definitely not be missed. I know the Giant's Causeway is quite far, but that's how it is, might take the train to Belfast, then rental car, looking into the options:)

• 1 month later...

Am hoping my CC friends will be able to help, look forward to suggestions from you, thanks in advance:)

Have you tried bookingdotcom? They have a free cancellation option and they appear to have lots of apartments available, e.g. Staycity aparthotels. :)