Drink package RCI

Trying to purchase beverage packages for my 20 year olds on Australian cruise. Locks them out as under 21 USA age.Has anyone been able to purchase on line under 21 or do I have to wait till boarding?

Trying to purchase beverage packages for my 20 year olds on Australian cruise. Locks them out as under 21 USA age.Has anyone been able to purchase on line under 21 or do I have to wait till boarding?

Are you booking from USA?

While on the Explorer over Xmas, a young girl, aged 19 was speaking to the Assistent CD about drink packages, saying they wouldn't serve her at the bar, he was telling her she had to be 21. I knew it was the wrong info, I told her to go to the Info desk......the CD told me he had done the training and the age is 21. I politely told him the rules change when in Australia. This girl was distraught thinking she could not have a drink over Xmas/New Year:p

Later in the cruise he came up to me and apologised for giving the wrong info, he had no idea, so even on the ship, not everyone knows everything!!

Just buy onboard, they will be everywhere selling you drink packages;)

Yes just miss out on the 20% discount on offer at the moment

In that case, phone them. Hopefully they can over-ride the online restriction.

Jeez! I just can't understand how so many cruise lines can't get their online software correct. It isn't rocket-science, it's just a simple if-then-else test based on data already on file. :rolleyes: :mad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

In that case, phone them. Hopefully they can over-ride the online restriction.

Jeez! I just can't understand how so many cruise lines can't get their online software correct. It isn't rocket-science, it's just a simple if-then-else test based on data already on file. :rolleyes: :mad:

Agreed, it is like they actually want people to go through the TAs.

It's more about localisation.

Unfortunately those who do the specs do it based on US requirements. And if it works there, they think everything is hunky dory. This isn't an issue in the land of the free. They don't have any developers here, and those specifying it aren't involved here either, so it's unlikely to even be on the software team's radar.

I still remember a couple of years back that you couldn't even pull up pricing, let alone make a booking on Celebrity's public web site here, all because they'd made a change that couldn't handle non-American dates. This fault went on for over two weeks, yet every time you spoke to them "it's all fine on our end, must be a problem with your browser, please clear your cache..."

Edited by The_Big_M

It's more about localisation.

Unfortunately those who do the specs do it based on US requirements. And if it works there, they think everything is hunky dory. This isn't an issue in the land of the free. They don't have any developers here, and those specifying it aren't involved here either, so it's unlikely to even be on the software team's radar.

I still remember a couple of years back that you couldn't even pull up pricing, let alone make a booking on Celebrity's public web site here, all because they'd made a change that couldn't handle non-American dates. This fault went on for over two weeks, yet every time you spoke to them "it's all fine on our end, please clear your cache..."

Then their IT department needs a swift kick up the butt. Everyone from the top down! :D They are an international business and need to ensure their software works equally well in all regions of the world. Anything else is just shoddy work. I was a software developer for very many years so do understand the issues.

Then their IT department needs a swift kick up the butt. Everyone from the top down! :D They are an international business and need to ensure their software works equally well in all regions of the world. Anything else is just shoddy work. I was a software developer for very many years so do understand the issues.

Yes, long lamented, but that's the way it is.

Remember their focus in IT development (main customer) is still the agents as well. The retail market is a part of it, but then international is a sub-segment of that, further down the list.

Not saying I agree with it, but it's commercial reality.

You will need to call them. When I was booking a cruise for the family it wouldn't let me book a room for my daughters, 20 & 18, online as neither was 21. Once onboard there was no issues with getting a drink.

Rang today no way the system can do it on line have to purchase on board. So miss out on the 20% off

Bummer! You could try ringing again and hope you get someone different.

Did you point out to them that you were unhappy at not getting the 20% discount because their system is faulty. Politely make a fuss - they might give you the difference in OBC. Ask to talk to a supervisor if necessary.

We had the exact same problem this week, Tried to get for 20 yr old and 18 year old so they could get discount, rang travel agent and the cruise line, they couldn't do it, Travel agent suggested when get on boat show them the price we paid and explain couldn't get the discount and they might match the price. Its worth a shot.

Travel agent suggested when get on boat show them the price we paid and explain couldn't get the discount and they might match the price. Its worth a shot.

Good luck with that. I'd be really interested to know how you went. Would you mind letting us know what RCI decided as many of us could find ourselves in the same situation. :)