Old Town Trolley in Boston - book ourselves or through Carnival?

ilovedale3

We are interested in doing the Old Town Trolley HOHO in Boston next month. We can either book through Carnival or do it ourselves through the Old Town website. What is the real difference (besides price)?

Carnival's description says that this is "specifically designed for cruise ship guests" with 7 stops. OTT's website shows 19 stops along the full route. We really want to maximize our time in port so the 7 stops looks more appealing (as it is quicker and hits the highlights).

However, is there some sort of designation of trolleys that certain ones are only doing this 7-stop route? Would we have be turned away from getting on a "regular" trolley and have to wait for a "special" trolley?

Part of your answer can be found on the Old Town Trolley website

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/trolley-tours-for-cruise-guests.asp

It sounds like the 7 stop tour is something for Carnival only as most lines offer only the main tour without the HOHO option.

I looked at that page and it didn't really answer my question. Carnival actually offers both the HOHO and the 1.5 hour non-stop tour, but that particular page only has the non-stop tour as the cruise ship offering. It still doesn't tell me what I need to know about this HOHO option through Carnival.

Perhaps the details page on the Carnival site will shed more light - including the seven stops they make.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/boston/hop-on-hop-off-old-town-trolley-123017

IMOH I would either do the full ride without the HOHO feature. From the reviews I have read about all of the HOHO trolleys in Boston, they are all guilty of packing the trolleys at stop 1 and not leaving room to add more as they go along. You may wait over an hour to catch a trolley with any empty seats. This might be OK if you have all day, but not that good for a limited port stop.

It also sounds like Carnival is notoriously late for this port stop as well.