Barcelona Public Transportation

Cruisepm

My husband and I will be arriving in Barcelona a few days early for a cruise. We will be staying at the Hotel Jazz which is located between Placa Universitat and Placa Catalunya.

1) What is the easiest way to go from the Barcelona airport to Hotel Jazz using public transportation? Does anyone recommend the Aerobus or the RENFE Train?

2) Can anyone recommend how to go from Hotel Jazz to the port using public transportation?

We travel light--a carryon and backpack for each of us.

Thanks for your help,

Tricia

We have always used the Aerobus whenever we've visited Barcelona. It's really easy to find - located just outside the terminal building - runs very frequently and it's quick and cheap. There's lots of storage for bags and they make clear announcements for each stop. I would get off at Universitat for Hotel Jazz

As to getting to the port by public transport, the closest Metro station to the port bus stop (which is close to the Colombus monument) is Drassanes. The green line runs from Catalunya. However, you could catch a metro from Universitat to Parallel which would probably involve only the same amount of walking.

Just head for the Colombo monument and look to the right (facing the sea) and you will see the port bus stop - you will probably have time to suss out where it is in the few days before the cruise. We often stay around the Catalunya area and just walk down Ramblas to the port bus stop - around a 20 minute pleasant walk.

Edited by Bobal

Here is an excellent summary of the transport options from Barcelona Airport to the city center:

Barcelona Airport Transport and Transfer To The City Centre

I would agree with Bobal that the Aerobús is your best bet for direct transport to Universitat or Catalunya. It costs more than all the other mass transport options (5.90 €), but

• the bus stop at the airport is easier to find and more convenient than the metro/train stations
  • it goes directly to Plaça Catalunya, unlike any of the other trains/buses
  • you can buy the tickets in advance online (no need to deal with euros right away at the airport)
  • you can save a little bit with a round trip ticket (10,20 €)
  • there is free wifi on the bus during the 30-40 minute journey :)

When traveling light, I usually just walk down the Ramblas to the Blue Port Bus T3. That is about a 20 minute walk from the Plaza Catalunya area.

When arriving by ship, I sometimes take the bus V11 up to the Gran Via or if I am going to the Eixample district. This involves 2 fares. One for the blue port bus and the other a public transport ticket.

The V13 bus will take you down the Ramblas, but you have to back track a bit back to the port bus. This only works when traveling light.

I sometimes opt for a taxi just down to the bottom of the Ramblas and cross to the blue bus to the port. I avoid traffic and save the 3.10 euro port supplement for the taxi and just use the port bus.

I personally do not like the metro for various reasons. The most prevalent is the amount of time moving down to the rail and up from the metro. I find the metro for short trips in Barcelona takes more time than walking.

We also stayed at Jazz. Great little hotel with wonderful breakfast. Took bus from airport and walked with luggage 5 minutes from plaza. Took taxi to ship cost about 8 euro from hotel.

Current taxi estimate from Plaza Catalunya area to Moll Adossat would be from 16 to 18 euro or 20+ with traffic. Add 1 euro supplement per large bag, but the 3.10 euro port supplement is included in estimate.

Google Maps has an option and detailed instructions for Public Transportation and walking when you put in your current location and destination. I used it a lot in Hawaii and have already entered our apartment address into my phone for Barcelona in October.:cool:

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

1 .) From the Barcelona airport to the city you have five choices: taxi, Aerobus, regular bus, train or metro. But in your case the most comfortable would be indeed Aerobus as explained above.

2.) To the Moll Adossat (literally meaning "attached pier" in Catalan, the local language) from Hotel Jazz you can go either walking or by metro to the end of Les Rambles and then there's a special bus (T3) which takes you to the pier. If you bought a T-10 travelcard (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7479842-Transport-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58496475) then it's 1€ per person -as transfer from metro to T3 is included. If you're not in a hurry and travel light, I'd walk to the end of Les Rambles, it's a delightful stroll.

Enjoy!

Edited by EnricM

If you bought a T-10 travelcard (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k7479842-Transport-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#58496475) then it's 1€ per person -as transfer from metro to T3 is included.
Unless there has been a very recent (and surprising) change, the T3 bus is a special service that is not integrated into the T-10 fare system. It's 3 euros per person one-way, 4 euros day return.

Unless there has been a very recent (and surprising) change, the T3 bus is a special service that is not integrated into the T-10 fare system. It's 3 euros per person one-way, 4 euros day return.

Oopsy, I re-read my answer and I see it's confusing indeed. You're totally right @hawkeyetlse, THE T3 BUS IS NOT INTEGRATED THEREFORE THE T-10 CANNOT be used on this leg of the journey. I was referring to the metro from Pl.Catalunya to Drassanes in case @cruisepm decides not to walk at all from Hotel Jazz.