Reliable tour guides for Lima Peru

patiolaterns

• 2 weeks later...

We actually had the concierge-recommended tour operator pick us up at the "Port Gate" and give us a tour for the rest of the day and the drop us off at he ship. . Inversiones Kintaro, Claudia Salazar, reservaskintaro@gmail .com Their operation was top shelf. New late model Hyundai 12 pax vans (like the Benz very comfy). A/C works great. Used them three times in three days. As I indicated, there was a lot of confusion at the "Port Gate" and they waited and waited and then found us. (Ships' fault.) They specialize in smaller tours groups of 8-12.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this too, since we'll be in Lima for several days after our cruise in February. I particularly want to find a guide who can pick us up at the ship and give us a morning tour of the city before dropping us off at our hotel.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm interested in this too, since we'll be in Lima for several days after our cruise in February. I particularly want to find a guide who can pick us up at the ship and give us a morning tour of the city before dropping us off at our hotel.

That's exactly what we did. The company I recommended above has the experience at the "Gate" Just be aware the "gate" is small, crowded and you handle your own luggage until you find your car/driver.

That's exactly what we did. The company I recommended above has the experience at the "Gate" Just be aware the "gate" is small, crowded and you handle your own luggage until you find your car/driver.

Thanks! What did you do on that tour? We'll be spending several days in Lima, but thought it would be a good chance to just get an overview and maybe hit some highlights on our way to Miraflores where our hotel is.

Huacas Pucllano (with lunch at site)

Gold Museum

Paracas (Pisco - Island Ballestras)

Nazca

Thanks, but surely you didn't do this in one day coming off the ship. I know that Nazca by itself is a day trip, as is Pisco.

But since you did these, how did you like them? I've read that the Nazca air trip is a bit underwhelming.

Thanks, but surely you didn't do this in one day coming off the ship. I know that Nazca by itself is a day trip, as is Pisco.

But since you did these, how did you like them? I've read that the Nazca air trip is a bit underwhelming.

Two days

Ruins and Gold Museum 1 day

Nazca - me/ Ballestras Island my wife 1 day

Ruins were very interesting and close.Lunch were delightfu (dinner is booked solid so lunch was a benefit., Gold Museum has the most pre-Inca artifacts all in gold - imagine a suit of armor in solid gold I would do some reading on pre Inca

My wife does not do bumpy airplane rides so she took the Island boat ride and I flew. If you are into engineering and the vastness of the lines you will enjoy. Takes a person who like extraterrestrial stuff.

George

We used Monica Tours and she was great. In the evening we did the Magic Light show, organised by her. It is only on Wednesday to Sunday evenings and really a not to be missed experience. A lot of other tour operators organise this or you can do it on your own.

Two days

Ruins and Gold Museum 1 day

Nazca - me/ Ballestras Island my wife 1 day

Ruins were very interesting and close.Lunch were delightfu (dinner is booked solid so lunch was a benefit., Gold Museum has the most pre-Inca artifacts all in gold - imagine a suit of armor in solid gold I would do some reading on pre Inca

My wife does not do bumpy airplane rides so she took the Island boat ride and I flew. If you are into engineering and the vastness of the lines you will enjoy. Takes a person who like extraterrestrial stuff.

George

Thanks George the detail. I am into extranterrestrial stuff, but I've read that seeing the lines from the air is somewhat underwhelming.

In any case, I doubt we'll do this particular trip, we'll be hanging closer to Lima I think.

What did you think of the Ballestas Islands?

As I mentioned my wife did the Islands. She had a wonderful time. However the whole trip is in a ocean going skiff with maybe 20 others and, one is on the go the whole time. You see sea birds, mammals on the rock formations and view the candelabra carving (like the Nazca lines). It is a long trip. Lots of good photos if you google.

Did you end up booking anything for Lima yet? So much to see, so little time!!

Thans,

Nancy

Not yet Nancy. Now that I've finished travelling for a while, I can settle down into my winter home here in Florida and plan.

First I have to finalize flights--at the moment I have 4 nights booked in Lima, then we fly to Ecuador. I think this is the right length of time, but I could shorten it one day. What do you think?

We'll be in Lima overnight on the ship as well--we're going on a tour of "Ancient Oracle Centers", Huaca Pucilana and Huaca Huallamarca; at least that's what we've booked at the moment (most excursions are included on Regent, but we can change our minds once on the ship.) Ironically Pucilana is in Miraflores, where we will be staying, so I could try to change it to something else. Although almost all of the ship's tours seem to end up in Miraflores or environs.

I also know that Lima will be hot. So marching around ancient sites will best be accomplished in the mornings.

Wendy

Since you will be in Lima for 4 days make sure you visit some of the gastronomic restaurants. Check out the usual google and trip advisor site. We splurged at Astrid and Gaston $$$$$$, but we had a 14 course tasting menu ( like tapas) of unimaginable creations. Only similar dining is the French Laundry in Napa orthe like in Manhattan or Barcelona. About half the price. Also since you will be staying in Miraflores, be sure to visit the Larcomar shopping center.

Wendy

Since you will be in Lima for 4 days make sure you visit some of the gastronomic restaurants. Check out the usual google and trip advisor site. We splurged at Astrid and Gaston $$$$$$, but we had a 14 course tasting menu ( like tapas) of unimaginable creations. Only similar dining is the French Laundry in Napa orthe like in Manhattan or Barcelona. About half the price. Also since you will be staying in Miraflores, be sure to visit the Larcomar shopping center.

I doubt if we'll do any gastro tourism, at least not high end places. Would love to find some good food for sure, but smaller, more local, lower-end places. Thanks for the tip on the shopping center.

Still trying to decide how long in Lima. One day from the ship, visiting the ruins around Miraflores, one day exploring Miraflores and Barranca, one day to do the sights in centro, museums, art galleries, etc.

This sounds to me like 3 nights in the hotel would be enough. At the moment I have a 4th night--what would I do with that extra day?

I doubt if we'll do any gastro tourism, at least not high end places. Would love to find some good food for sure, but smaller, more local, lower-end places. Thanks for the tip on the shopping center.

Still trying to decide how long in Lima. One day from the ship, visiting the ruins around Miraflores, one day exploring Miraflores and Barranca, one day to do the sights in centro, museums, art galleries, etc.

This sounds to me like 3 nights in the hotel would be enough. At the moment I have a 4th night--what would I do with that extra day?

We spent 5 days in Lima pre cruise earlier this year and had a great time.

You could always spend a few hours at the Musee Larco. It's private museum with some wonderful exhibits. In addition, the grounds are stunningly beautiful with loads of bouganvillia. There is also a wonderful cafe/restaurant in the grounds. We loved our visit there and as the museum is only small, you don't get museum overkill!

Your hotel can arrange a cab to get you there. It's only a short drive from Miraflores. When you want to leave the gift shop near the exit will arrange for a cab to come and collect you.

Check it out on the internet as they have a website.

We spent 5 days in Lima pre cruise earlier this year and had a great time.

You could always spend a few hours at the Musee Larco. It's private museum with some wonderful exhibits. In addition, the grounds are stunningly beautiful with loads of bouganvillia. There is also a wonderful cafe/restaurant in the grounds. We loved our visit there and as the museum is only small, you don't get museum overkill!

Your hotel can arrange a cab to get you there. It's only a short drive from Miraflores. When you want to leave the gift shop near the exit will arrange for a cab to come and collect you.

Check it out on the internet as they have a website.

Thanks, that would definitely be on our list although I imagined it would be part of our "downtown" day. I guess I really have to sort all these places out in my head.

Any good restaurant experiences aside from that? We're staying in Miraflores. Wanted Barranca, but the hotel scene there is a bit iffy--nothing in the mid-range that suits.

We actually had the concierge-recommended tour operator pick us up at the "Port Gate" and give us a tour for the rest of the day and the drop us off at he ship. . Inversiones Kintaro, Claudia Salazar, reservaskintaro@gmail .com Their operation was top shelf. New late model Hyundai 12 pax vans (like the Benz very comfy). A/C works great. Used them three times in three days. As I indicated, there was a lot of confusion at the "Port Gate" and they waited and waited and then found us. (Ships' fault.) They specialize in smaller tours groups of 8-12.

George, I'm finally getting around to researching tour people, and I can't find this guy. All I get when I google "Inversiones Kintaro" is some kind of investment group. When I google his name and email, all I get is your post here! Does he have a website?

After I get our first day booked (morning tour and then to our hotel), I may just wing it and use the hotel to book tours. Want to see Pachamac, the Lorca museum, the downtown area and sights. Plus get to know the Miraflores and hopefully Barranca neighbourhoods.

Still looking for someone who could take us from the ship to the boat tour of the Palomino Islands, since we'll already be in Callao, but don't think this will work out. I know we can go back there on a tour, but it seems such a wasted opportunity.

Wendy, we used Perusightseeing.com and they were fantastic.

We didn't have anything pre-booked so we asked our hotel concierge for assistance and he gave us their brochure. We did two tours with them, both arranged via the concierge. The first one was a tour of Lima and the second one was to Pachacamac. Being non-Spanish speakers, we naturally booked the English speaking tours. On the tour to Pachacamac we were the only non-Spanish speakers so the guide explained history etc in both languages during the drive to the site but on arrival in Pachacamac DH and I had our own English speaking guide (who just happened to be a historian) just for ourselves. We thought that was great service.

We happened to have the same tour guide on both our tours and she was amazing with a great sense of humour so obviously this added to the experience.

At the end of the tour, you either pay in cash or they also have a card reader.

We can recommend Tanta restaurant at the Larcomar shopping centre. It has great food and fabulous views over the ocean albeit sometimes a bit foggy.

We thought the restaurant at our hotel had lovely food so we ate there a few times. We would have liked to try Central, which was place 4th in the World's 50 best restaurants but of course you need to book months in advance. Astrid y Gaston is another well credentialed restaurant but not sure how far in advance you need to book.

We stayed at Casa Andina Private Collection in Miraflores and loved it. Very clean with great staff and good food and a great buffet breakfast. It also has the added advantage of an ATM in the basement which dispenses both Soles and USD :)

You can walk to the Larcomar shopping centre and the adjacent cliff top pathways in 15 minutes from the hotel.

If you do decide to visit Musee Larco, IMHO it's better to do it on your own rather than with a tour company as you can wander around at leisure, enjoy browsing the gift shops and if you choose, have lunch at the restaurant/cafe and enjoy the beautiful surrounds.

I hope this information is helpful.

Wendy, we used Perusightseeing.com and they were fantastic.

We didn't have anything pre-booked so we asked our hotel concierge for assistance and he gave us their brochure. We did two tours with them, both arranged via the concierge. The first one was a tour of Lima and the second one was to Pachacamac. Being non-Spanish speakers, we naturally booked the English speaking tours. On the tour to Pachacamac we were the only non-Spanish speakers so the guide explained history etc in both languages during the drive to the site but on arrival in Pachacamac DH and I had our own English speaking guide (who just happened to be a historian) just for ourselves. We thought that was great service.

We happened to have the same tour guide on both our tours and she was amazing with a great sense of humour so obviously this added to the experience.

At the end of the tour, you either pay in cash or they also have a card reader.

We can recommend Tanta restaurant at the Larcomar shopping centre. It has great food and fabulous views over the ocean albeit sometimes a bit foggy.

We thought the restaurant at our hotel had lovely food so we ate there a few times. We would have liked to try Central, which was place 4th in the World's 50 best restaurants but of course you need to book months in advance. Astrid y Gaston is another well credentialed restaurant but not sure how far in advance you need to book.

We stayed at Casa Andina Private Collection in Miraflores and loved it. Very clean with great staff and good food and a great buffet breakfast. It also has the added advantage of an ATM in the basement which dispenses both Soles and USD :)

You can walk to the Larcomar shopping centre and the adjacent cliff top pathways in 15 minutes from the hotel.

If you do decide to visit Musee Larco, IMHO it's better to do it on your own rather than with a tour company as you can wander around at leisure, enjoy browsing the gift shops and if you choose, have lunch at the restaurant/cafe and enjoy the beautiful surrounds.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yes, thanks! This is all very helpful. This is enough information for me to go ahead and book our flight out of Lima, since it seems obvious that there's lots to do for 3 additional days after we disembark the ship.