Question about pullman beds and young children

nyer

I am planning on taking my five year old granddaughter on a cruise next year on RCI's Explorer of the Seas. I was told my one of the reps that I can't get a cabin with a pullman bed. I thought that I read here that people have had pullmans for young children. Can anyone tell me what their experience with this has been.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, my husband and I got an outside cabin with a queen bed and a pullman for ourselves and our 2 1/2 year old on Carnival last year. After seeing the bed, there is no way we would let our 2 year old sleep in there though as the ladder to get into it was quite steep and there was only a small railing to prevent you from falling from the bed itself. What we ended up doing is we alternated nights sleeping in the pullman bed and the one of us who wasn't in that bed slept in the queen bed with our 2 year old. We also found that you feel the ship's movement a lot more up in the pullman than you do in the regular bed at "ground level", so to speak. To answer your question, I would say that whether or not a 5 year old can sleep up there depends on the 5 year old: will she manage to get up there and back down safely, and will she be afraid or bothered by the extra ship movement? If you could get a cabin with a sofabed it would probably better, but then maybe some 5 year olds would see the pullman as an adventure? Good luck and have lots of fun on your cruise.

I am planning on taking my five year old granddaughter on a cruise next year on RCI's Explorer of the Seas. I was told my one of the reps that I can't get a cabin with a pullman bed. I thought that I read here that people have had pullmans for young children. Can anyone tell me what their experience with this has been.

Thanks in advance.

Of course you can get a cabin with a Pullman bed ...

2ndbedrm-MS.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Why can't you get a cabin with a pullman bed?? Or a sofa bed?? Is there just the 2 of you in the cabin?

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for a specific cabin category? I can see them saying for some cabins, there won’t be Pullmans as those are configured for maximum of two passengers. For example, none of the Promenade inside view cabins on the Explorer have Pullmans. They are configured to be doubles only.

While others can have third or fourth passengers. Take a look at the deck plan of Explorer online and see if your preferred cabin choices have the * or + sign. Those cabins have Pullmans.

Thanks for your replies. I don't think that I was specific enough.

I will be traveling with my dh and my granddaughter. I don't actually want her to sleep in the pullman bed, but the category cabin that I want does not have a sofa bed. She would most likely sleep in bed with me and my dh. I was told by a rep that I have to get a cabin with a sofa bed because my granddaughter is too young to sleep in a pullman. I wanted category E1 on Explorer.

I thought they had age restrictions with the pullmans...why not get something with a sofa bed, instead?

If I HAD to have a pullman, I'd take the mattress off, throw it on the floor and let the child do some "adventure sleeping"....kids love that, and they can sleep anywhere!

I will be traveling with my dh and my granddaughter. I don't actually want her to sleep in the pullman bed, but the category cabin that I want does not have a sofa bed. She would most likely sleep in bed with me and my dh. I was told by a rep that I have to get a cabin with a sofa bed because my granddaughter is too young to sleep in a pullman. I wanted category E1 on Explorer.

Book a cabin with a sofa bed. It may be a little more money but the child will have her own space.

Taking a quick glance at the deck plan, it seems the E1 cabins on the Explorer are all Pullman beds if you are looking at triples. You may need to switch to D1 to get the sofa bed you wanted as I see those on decks 7 & 8.

My boys loved the Pullman. They fought over the one we had in previous cruise when the cabin had one sofa bed and one Pullman when they were ages of 4 & 6 at the time. But if your granddaughter is uncomfortable with the height of the Pullman, you need to seek alternatives.

I'm surprised that the rep told you that. I've booked cruises with a 2 year old and had rooms that had the pullman. I've never had them tell me I couldn't book a room w/ a pullman with a young child. In fact we never had a room w/ a sofa bed until she was 7!

• 6 years later...

We had a room with Pullman beds with my kids when my son was 5 and my daughter was 7. I was nervous at first, but the little railing helps (even though it isn't large, kids would have to be really wild sleepers to roll over it in their sleep). Also, when the beds below are pushed together, if the child rolls over the rail, they fall in the bed on top of you. While not a pleasant thought, I preferred that to my kid falling on the floor.

The ladder to get up is steep so my husband or I would stand there at first but within a day, my son was a pro. We also made sure the kids were all the way at the top of the bed when they slept and we put a barrier towards the foot of the bed, but they never even got close to bumping the barrier off. My other concern was if they had to go to the bathroom during the night, so I just made sure to emphasize that they had to wake us up if they needed to get up in the middle of the night.

In the end, they both LOVED the Pullman beds. It was a huge adventure for them - one of the things they talked about for months after the cruise.

One other thing if you are still too uncomfortable - if she is not too tall, your granddaughter might fit lengthwise on the little couch in the room. As PP stated, kids can sleep anywhere. You could just ask the cabin steward to leave the sheets down for you.

We have just been on EOS my son is 12 but sometimes sleep walks so I didn't want him sleeping on the Pullman we had a sofa but it didnt make a bed ( two seater only) on the first day I asked our cabin guy to put the mattress on the floor and he slept there that way I got a good sleep not having to worrying about him sleep walking during the night when he got up just put the mattress against the wall still plenty of room ( balcony room) . :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Royal Caribbean just before our dd turned 5 and the cabin steward wouldn't take down the pullman. He said kids had to be 6. Since it took his key to bring down, we couldn't even put it down on our own. It was a basic I side room but did have a two seater couch (not a pullout). The steward made a great little bed for our dd so she didn't have to sleep with us. So, agent probably knows RC has an age restriction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We are going on a cruise next week and taking our son for the first time. How do I know if my room has a couch that pulls out to a bed?

Thanks

Check the deck plan for your ship, then find your level and stateroom. There are little symbols next to the room numbers indicating what kinds of beds are in the room. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?shipCode=OA&shipProfile=1313.Here is a link to Oasis as an example. The little triangle indicates sofa bed.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

We cruised on the Carnival Dream in September with our 3 year old twins and had concerns about the Pullman beds. Our kids saw the bed down on the first day and had a fit to sleep on it.

We always travel with inflatable pool noodles (bought off of Amazon in a 6 pack), which we use in many ways. We inflated one and placed it under the fitted sheet just inside the rail. It worked great. We watched the kids like crazy, but nobody ever even came close to falling out.

I understand that many wouldn't be comfortable with this solution, but it worked wonderfully for our kiddos.