Best restaurant to have steak

Cruiser#5

El Establo. On the corner of Paraguay and San Martin very near your hotel. One to two blocks as I recall. The place is noisy and informal, not the place to go if you are looked for a more elegant atmosphere. Just good food.

Two levels. Sit downstairs, the area where the steaks are cooked on an open grill. I have been eating there whenever I am in Buenos Aires for over 10 years. Not much has changed in that time. Steaks are huge. Order a half portion.

Argentinos have a tendency to over cook meat. Adjust your order accordingly. If you normally order medium, ask for medium rare, for example. I like both ojo de bife and bife de chorizo (its a steak, not to be confused with chorizo sausage, which is also good) order of a side is enough for two to share--french fries, papas espanoles, and puree de calabaza (pumpkin, mashed like potatoes) are all good. Either chorizo sausage or provilito (grilled round of cheese) are good appetizers, but don't order an appetizer unless you are a big eater.

Argentina is also famous for Malbec wines, which go great with steak.

There are other good steak restaurants in the area and around town, but you will be very close to El Establo.

Dr dawggy - thanks for the recommendation. Can you recommend some other steak houses you like in other areas? Palermo, Recoletta, Puerto Madero? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This article has a pretty good list of choices around town....

http://therealargentina.com/en/argentinian-wine-blog/meat-greet-the-best-steak-restaurants-in-buenos-aires/

From the list in the article, I no longer recommend La Cabrera in Palermo. It has become a victim of its own success in my opinion. Service is no longer good and prices have gone up as it has been "discovered" by tourists who flock here in hordes. Nearby Don Julios has gotten some recent press in tourist guides, so far has maintained it's quality and good service.

Cabana las Lilas in Puerto Madero is also mentioned in the article. Food there has always been good but pricey owing to its water front location. If you want to splurge it's a good choice.

Here are some places I have enjoyed over the years.....that are not mentioned in the article.

1880 Parrilla on Defensa street, San Telmo

El Mirasol de la Recova or Posadas in Recoleta. (More upscale, traditional and more expensive than an average parrilla but excellent food and wine).

Cabana las Lilas was great. One of the best we've ever had. The steak there was better than at the restaurant our hotel recommended. Also nice location on the river. There also was a good ice cream shop nearby for dessert.

Edited by dabear

Cabana las Lilas was great. One of the best we've ever had. The steak there was better than at the restaurant our hotel recommended. Also nice location on the river. There also was a good ice cream shop nearby for dessert.

The first sentence describing Las Lilas in the article I linked cracked me up...

"Don’t be put off by the semen section on Cabaña Las Lilas’ website – it is, in fact, the complete package as Las Lilas raises its own cattle and also runs a cattle museum in gaucho town San Antonio de Areco."

http://therealargentina.com/en/argentinian-wine-blog/meat-greet-the-best-steak-restaurants-in-buenos-aires/

Curious, I had to check...sure enough there's a whole section on semen for sale....

http://www.laslilas.com/

Edited by dr__dawggy

• 3 weeks later...

I am a native of Buenos Aires and Puerto madero offers a lot of options for steak. Cabaña las Lilas is very good but in my opinion highly overpriced.

In Puerto madero my choice is Restaurante Happening very good steak,salads and empanadas for about USD 40,00 pp.--price will include a good bottle of malbec--

In palermo Restaurante La costilla.at the intersection of Humboldt and Gorriti street.

I am a native of Buenos Aires and Puerto madero offers a lot of options for steak. Cabaña las Lilas is very good but in my opinion highly overpriced.

In Puerto madero my choice is Restaurante Happening very good steak,salads and empanadas for about USD 40,00 pp.--price will include a good bottle of malbec--

In palermo Restaurante La costilla.at the intersection of Humboldt and Gorriti street.

When I go to Puerto Madero with my friends who are natives, Happening is where they want to go. I agree that it offers good value for the area, and the steak and malbec are very good. They also have a cheese appetizer (I think it's called a tabla) that is excellent to share before the meal.

Another modestly priced favorite in Puerto Madero...La Bisteca...which lets you pick and choose from an incredible buffet of appetizers, a cooked to order steak/ribs and/or pastas/sauces. It's all you can eat, although you pay separately for dessert and wine. A very good way to introduce yourself to Argentine fare.

Edited by dr__dawggy

Arriving BA last week of January. Interested in a wonderful steak dinner. But we would really like to walk a short way and we are staying at the Sofitel. Recommendation please.

Thanks,

Page

I know of 3 restaurants that serve wonderful steaks within a few blocks of the Sofitel.

El Mirasol de la Recova. Upscale, traditional Argentine restaurant, and pricier than the other two options. 5 minutes from your hotel in La Recova de la Posada. I have eaten here multiple times and never had a bad meal.

Santos Manjares. At the other end of the scale--informal, inexpensive, but serves up some very tasty steaks off their grill. Paraguay 938, between Suipacha and Carlos Pelligrini/9 de Julio. 6 minute walk from the Sofitel, per google. I have only eaten here once but would not hesitate to return.

El Establo. Pretty informal, with prices between the other two.....El Establo has been one of my "go to" default restaurants since my first trip to BA back in 2001. Good food and some good-mid priced Malbecs. 11 minutes from the Sofitel, at Paraguay and San Martin.

ps...I have not eaten there in years, but Le Sud restaurant in the Sofitel used to be a very good restaurant. Not a steak house....but something to keep in mind during your stay.

Edited by dr__dawggy

• 4 weeks later...

We will be staying at the ARC Recoleta, Pena 2155, for a few days at the end of this month prior to our cruise.

Any suggestions for good restaurants, steak and otherwise, in the Recoleta area or nearby would be appreciated.

• 11 months later...

We had a wonderful steak dinner at Don Julio. The steaks were large, but we shared. We stayed at the SheratonL and taxied to the restaurant. It was about 2 1/2 miles from the hotel.

Also, There's a large shopping center about a block away from the SheratonL that has several restaurants. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When choosing a restaurant, please keep in mind that taxis in Bs As are cheap, safe, and easy to hail. Don't choose a steak joint because you can walk to it. Choose one that fits your budget and has a great reputation. Near la calle Pena is Parrilla Pena which is very good. A $80 peso cab ride to La Mirasol de la Recova or Fervor on Posadas Av will guarantee a good meal if you don't mind spending about $40 pp for a 3 course meal with wine.

How about a recommendation for a restaurant near (walking distance) the Sheraton Liberator? I'm a light eater.... even a buffet would be fine if it let's me try several things.

We enjoyed the previously recommended El Establo 2 weeks ago. It is a very short walk from the Sheraton.

We actually had a very good dinner at La Cabrera where we each enjoyed a very good steak perfectly cooked medium rare , a nice bottle of Malbec , fried provolone, a huge salad, and a selection of little side dishes. With dessert and espresso dinner for two was quite reasonable (well under $200). One s Friday night the cab ride back took twice as long as it did when we were heading to dinner. Friends who ate at Las Lilas (they had been there a few years ago) said their dinner was overpriced and dreadful. They particularly mentioned that their steaks were overlooked and tasteless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PMacher, did you send me a pm on another site under another screen name? Just curious.

WCAS, Glad you enjoyed El Establo. I have been going there off and on since 2002.

Yes, twas I. Am now in BA.

I have eaten at El Estrebe (on corner of Pena and Puerreydon), not at El Establo. It's a very good place esp with Guiaoleo/cash discounts.

p.s. what means WCAS?

Edited by pmacher61

Yes, twas I. Am now in BA.

I have eaten at El Estrebe (on corner of Pena and Puerreydon), not at El Establo. It's a very good place esp with Guiaoleo/cash discounts.

p.s. what means WCAS?

I was trying to respond to two posters at once. WCAS74 was the screen name of the poster who tried and liked El Establo. Sorry for the confusion.

I am probably not going to make it to BA for awhile. Maybe later in 2017.

We were thinking about a trip when a Transatlantic cruise deal that was too good to turn down popped up. We are off to Europe instead of Argentina. The steaks on board are probably not as good as El Estrebe or El Establo, but there are plusses to cruising.

Went last night. Opted for the ojo de bife small cut (250 gms vs the larger 400 gm offering). Spouse had a 1/4 chicken. Both come with fries. We shared a large combo salad as an app and a small bottle of red plus agua con gas. A flan mixta shared for dessert, 1300 pesos with tip.