Luggage forward service in Japan

wingit

We're flying into Osaka and then going on by train to Kobe. We will stay there 2 days before we board our cruise.

From what we've read in our online research, there seems to be a baggage-forward service that will deliver your luggage directly from the airport to your hotel. At a very reasonable rate. I think Yamoto might be the name of the service.

The trains do not have space for luggage. This seems like a great solution. We're wondering if anyone has any experience with this service. We don't like to be seperated from our luggage...but it sounds to be very reliable.

We'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. Thank you.

We're flying into Osaka and then going on by train to Kobe. We will stay there 2 days before we board our cruise.

From what we've read in our online research, there seems to be a baggage-forward service that will deliver your luggage directly from the airport to your hotel. At a very reasonable rate. I think Yamoto might be the name of the service.

The trains do not have space for luggage. This seems like a great solution. We're wondering if anyone has any experience with this service. We don't like to be seperated from our luggage...but it sounds to be very reliable.

Google is your friend :)

Here is a link:

http://bfy.tw/9ffr

There are several services, and your hotel(s) may have one they use regularly.

(If only all countries had something like this!)

Yes, Yamato is the major company that people use to send / forward luggage.

see the site with location of their offices at the airport.

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/tourist/airport/

Note that there are two airports for Osaka, Itami and Kansai. The link has Kansai listed, but scroll down and you can click on the link to to Itami.

The OP asked if people had experience with these services, not how to get to their web sites. What is their reliability and how speedy are they? If you send your luggage to the cruise port, and when you get there what can you do? Do they provide similar insurance like the airlines provide? Do they give you a guaranteed dropoff time, and take responsibility if they aren't there on time? I don't see anything on these sites about liability if your luggage doesn't make it.

The OP asked if people had experience with these services, not how to get to their web sites. What is their reliability and how speedy are they? If you send your luggage to the cruise port, and when you get there what can you do? Do they provide similar insurance like the airlines provide? Do they give you a guaranteed dropoff time, and take responsibility if they aren't there on time? I don't see anything on these sites about liability if your luggage doesn't make it.

not sure what your issue is (you didn't add anything to the discussion) , but yes I have used them, but not from the airport to the cruise port or hotel. We have used them from a hotel in Tokyo to a hotel in Kyoto. See Trip Advisors and the site below for reviews

https://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/10-reasons-why-kuroneko-yamato-is-probably-the-best-delivery-service-in-the-world

As far as the other question, I would contact them by email to get answers and to verify time, place and delivery options..

I've been looking at them too (but in my case, from Haneda to my Tokyo hotel), and the research I've seen indicates they are very reliable and popular, at least between hotels and airports. Trip Advisor is probably a better place to post this question, in all honesty. (https://www.tripadvisor.ca/SearchForums?q=luggage+forward&scope=2&sub-search=Search&ff=525&geo=294232&returnTo=__2F__ShowForum__2D__g294232__2D__i525__2D__Japan__2E__html)

I've used takuhaibin services fairly often, mostly between hotels but also from airports to hotels; I've never used them to send to an airport or port.

They usually take a day: so send your bag on Monday morning, travel that night with just a daypack, and it will be waiting for you when you arrive at your next hotel on Tuesday evening. I've only once arrived at my hotel and not found my bag already there. This was a very remote place (Kii Katsura, near the shrines of the Kumano pilgrimage) and the hotel lady made a phone call (without me producing the waybill) and it arrived 15 minutes later--I guess it was already out for delivery.

It's possible that a short trip like Osaka to Kobe will be delivered overnight and that a long one, like to Hokkaido takes more like 2 days--you'd need to ask.

The prices are very reasonable: usually a bit over $10 for a rollaboard (that's all I carry apart from my daypack).

In the arrivals hall, you'll see the booths of the companies lined up like those for rental cars. Yamato's logo is a black cat with a kitten in its mouth; I've also used the one whose logo is a Pelican. Yamato is the biggest and is ubiquitous: you can be in the smallest and remotest town and see their vans (and handcarts). I've no idea what their guarantees and insurance policies etc. are: you'd need to read the Japanese on the waybill.

The waybill needs to be filled in in Japanese; the clerks at the airport counter, or the front desk agents in a hotel, or clerks in a convenience store, will do this for you, but you must help them if you want them to get it right: go to your hotel's website and print out the address and contact info in Japanese and give this to them.

Edited by someotherguy
clarity