Evening Clothes

lynn2002

on a 14 night Alaska cruise on MS Amsterdam in late July/August.

What do people wear in the evening for dinner? Are they more relaxed with the dress code so that jeans are allowed in the dining room?

Are the gala nights dressy?

Just not sure what to pack.

The dress code doesn't change on HAL anywhere in the world. It is the same.

Whether or not people dress less formally on Alaska cruises due to carrying more warm weather clothes is commonly debated. However, I would say that is balanced by the likelihood a longer cruise will carry more "dedicated" cruisers.

If you look on the HAL board, you will see Gala Night is no longer "formal", so you may dress pretty much as you please. I wore my tux in the Caribbean last month, and would wear it in Alaska.

What do people wear in the evening for dinner? Are they more relaxed with the dress code so that jeans are allowed in the dining room?

Alaska is very casual on HAL with lots of flannel and sweatshirts during the chillier days. Jeans are allowed in the dining room as long as the jeans are not "distressed."

I recommend packing for three days and taking advantage of the HAL excellent laundry service @ $49/week for all that you wish to send out. Start sending out on Embarkation Day before you go to dinner and it will be returned the next morning.

Gala Nights are as formal (dressy) as you wish with the minimum being collared shirts and slacks for males. That means polo shirts with collars are fine. The same meal served on Gala Nights is also available through Room Service for your stateroom. Eating on your veranda is always nice in Alaska if the weather permits.

A

I recommend packing for three days and taking advantage of the HAL excellent laundry service @ $49/week for all that you wish to send out. Start sending out on Embarkation Day before you go to dinner and it will be returned the next morning.

Does the $49 include ironed garments? Or, just wash and fold?

Does the $49 include ironed garments? Or, just wash and fold?

HAL laundry is appropriately ironed/pressed after washing. You may request either folded or on hangers.

There is an additional package for pressing only but I do not know the price.

HAL laundry is appropriately ironed/pressed after washing. You may request either folded or on hangers.

There is an additional package for pressing only but I do not know the price.

Thank you.

We are on the same cruise as you - as we live close enough to the port and do not have to fly in, we tend to bring more clothes than if flying. I love dressing up , and DH enjoys his chance to wear his tux once or twice 😀