Planning a cruise for family; Nieuw Amsterdam vs Millennium

newanne

I am putting together a cruise for my husband's siblings (us included) to do an Alaskan cruise, including inside passage. None of his siblings have cruised before, we have done 17 and love them. I am considering a round trip out of Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam and Northbound itinerary on Millennium ending in Seward. HAL goes to Glacier Bay, Celebrity to Hubbard Glacier. And Celebrity also adds and extra port, Icy Strait. Costs are close, Celebrity a bit higher. Any input or comments would be great.

I am putting together a cruise for my husband's siblings (us included) to do an Alaskan cruise, including inside passage. None of his siblings have cruised before, we have done 17 and love them. I am considering a round trip out of Vancouver on Nieuw Amsterdam and Northbound itinerary on Millennium ending in Seward. HAL goes to Glacier Bay, Celebrity to Hubbard Glacier. And Celebrity also adds and extra port, Icy Strait. Costs are close, Celebrity a bit higher. Any input or comments would be great.

I have cruised many times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and all have been magnificent. Here is a link to my photo review of the ship:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/

Here is a link to our On Locations (daily activities) to give you an idea what to expect on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/nieuw-amsterdam-alaska-2016-on-locations/

Hope this helps in your planning.

My humble opinion is you need to consider any extra costs and aggravation involved in flying home from Alaska doing the one-way trip. If you can handle that, then compare both itineraries, and times in port.

We were considering the same two options, and we went with the NA because the route is Inside Passage up and back. We haven't yet cruised Alaska, but we are told the RT Vancouver cruises are more likely to be in calm waters, as the ship doesn't (I think, anyway) go into the open ocean. This might be a consideration if you are going with people who haven't cruised before.

Any kids on the trip, Celebrity is a little more kid friendly.

We found the opposite. We prefer the kids program on Holland America. It felt nonexistent on Celebrity. Maybe it was the week we went.

I would go on Holland America because it goes to Glacier Bay. Hubbard glacier can be skipped due to weather and has been this season already.